Can kayaks be rented? -- 0 (0%)
Good rockhounding spots? -- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Felipe Questions - First time in Baja
wolfpack

puzzled.gif posted on 9-17-2018 at 12:51 PM
San Felipe Questions - First time in Baja

Hi everyone! My husband and I, and our two dogs are spending 1/2 of December and the first part of January in San Felipe. Trying to get an idea of what to bring and what we can rent/buy there.
We are really active and plan on being outside exploring most of the time there.
We have kayaks but would rather not bring them if we can rent cheaply. Can paddle boards or kayaks be rented in San Felipe? Wetsuits? I'm guessing this is a no, but just trying to find out as much as I can.
We bike a lot, mountain and road and are planning on bring bikes.
We are staying about 8 miles south of san felipe and would like to bike into town, do people bike to get around in Baja? I commute to school and work by bike but unsure of if this is a safe idea there. We are in Phoenix and it's one of the worst places to be a cyclist so I'm thinking it can't be much worse but unsure :)
Also we are rockhounds - would love to explore anything nearby for fossils, mines, off the beaten path rock formations.
Our vehicle is a AWD subaru with a little clearance but we aren't opposed to hiking, biking back roads that the subaru can't get through.
Are there ATV rentals in San Felipe we can take to the places such as valley of the giants to access more desolate areas?

find what you love and let it kill you
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 01:49 PM

There are ATV rentals in several places around town. I think you would be just fine ridding your bike around. I'm sure others will be along to talk about some of the other rental options in town, but one place you can call for local info is Kiki's camp ground. He will know where and what you can get. My wife and I really like SF, others will be along to tell you it sucks. Your AWD will get you most places you want to go and there are a lot of places to see in both directions. Check out David K's trip reports for a lot of good intel...
Howard
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 01:55 PM

David, it's been a couple of hours from the posting and I am concerned about you.

Is everything OK or are you just slipping a little? :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 01:56 PM

See www.sanfelipe.com.mx for a few answers.

Sorry, the sea is WAY TOO COLD that time of year! LOL

Rockhounding is a yes! Fossils (must not remove if non-Mexican) are found about 5 miles inland of today's sea level in a few places. I have photos of some south of the sulfur mine, off the old Puertecitos road.

A large abandoned sulfur mine from the 1950s and may WWII period is 4 miles west of Km. 32, on the old road.

A hot spring is located a few miles up CaƱon Agua Caliente, off Valle Chico as well as the Puertecitos hot springs, at sea level.

Bruce Barber's book is excellent on the area geology, 'Of Sea and Sand'

Search Nomad for more. Last year, I researched many of the area roads in preparation for a new guide. Those trip reports may be of interest to you:>

San Felipe South: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374

Mexicali to San Felipe and the Valle Chico Canyons: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85989

Fossil beds south of San Felipe: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=57316

Use my links to location photos to get more ideas: http://vivabaja.com/tours/index.html

ENJOY:

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
David, it's been a couple of hours from the posting and I am concerned about you.

Is everything OK or are you just slipping a little? :biggrin:

LOL I was posting when you were... Yes, I am pooped from moving our home, my back hurts! LOL Just taking short breaks and looking at Nomad when I do.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 02:37 PM

Skip San Felipe and go to Loreto or maybe Conception Bay. San Felipe is the arm pit of Baja.

Beaches are ugly, mountains don't run along the coast. No good coves and no islands to explore. Just a big party town for locals from Mexicali and desert rats from the US.

Keep going South and you'll find the good spots in Baja.

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 03:19 PM

Wolfpack,
Some good advice on here such as what ADVRIDER and DAVIDK posted.

Hopefully others will chime in and give you more tips and ideas.

Go with open eyes and a smile and you should enjoy yourselves.

Take some posters on here with a grain of salt such as JZ. He lacks tact, but I hope he means well.

According to him all dedicated GPS's should be immediately thrown in the dump, you must host your pictures on a 3rd party site and now it appears San Felipe is an 'armpit'.

A lot of people go to San Felipe and have plenty of fun and while it is not my area of choice, do not be dissuaded without looking into it first.

I too prefer to go much further south but with the road being paved so far down you have to go quite far nowadays to see any hints of the 'old baja' and you may or may not have the time to travel so far south.

Do not underestimate the area northwest of San Felipe. Look up on this site about Walter Henderson's Rock Pile for some info. Lots of cool stuff in those there mountains up around Cerro Borrego(Sharps Peak or whichever name you choose to use).
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 03:27 PM

San Felipe is fun. Town is small enough to walk around. I would bring my own toys. Kayaks, wet suits etc. Not sure about a bicycle.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:06 PM

Several years ago, I worked in San Felipe from December thru spring, and what I learned is that the town gets pounded by cold north winds that time of year, almost constantly. Be sure to take appropriate clothing. If you can push back your trip to the end of Feb and March, you will be rewarded with perfect/killer weather.

My wife and I have taken our bikes and ridden all around town, and that's very easy to do. Riding out of town on the highway, not so much fun. Highway 5 south of town is narrow with no shoulders.

Depending on where you're coming from, Tecate can be a great place to cross the border. You can take the toll road 2D east, miss Mexicali traffic, then head south on highway 5. Fast and easy.

You're going to have a great time.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:14 PM

Gotta say SS with ur knowledge and that awzome pic you sold me,,gracias

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:26 PM

San Felipe is a town I spent a few nights in, and usually either the last half of a days drive, or the first half of the next one. I have found a few things to like about the town, and would like to spend some time finding a few more things!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an excellent dentist in S.F.? I have one in La Paz that I was planning on seeing this winter, but my need for getting work done just became a bit more urgent.

Having a dental clinic closer to the border, (but not on it) would allow for more timely service and follow up.

Edit: Maybe if anyone has a referral, send me a U2U message to keep from hijacking this thread!

[Edited on 9-17-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:53 PM

While right in the city (and in any city) the beach may not be as pure as it could be if trash wasn't tossed. You only need to drive a couple miles away to see beauty. Stuck Sucks photo is on the south side of San Felipe looking to the center of town.

Here is the beach, a few miles north of San Felipe (Playa Grande):

and the beach, a few miles south (near Rancho Percebu):

Low tide:

High tide:

If that is an ugly beach, give me more!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 04:56 PM

Wow! Well I'll be a sunny-beach. :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 05:15 PM

And DK dont let anyone tell you ya stick to the map making, your pics are definitely some of the best on BN

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 05:30 PM

I would make the drive South to Gonzaga bay, Cocos corner and maybe a night or two in the Bay of LA ( Costa Del Sol is good) if you are going to be there for a month or more. I've always wanted to check out all of the campo's that DavidK wrote about and that would be on your way South.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 05:46 PM

Stuck is spot-on....b u t t cold that time of year!;)
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
While right in the city (and in any city) the beach may not be as pure as it could be if trash wasn't tossed. You only need to drive a couple miles away to see beauty. Stuck Sucks photo is on the south side of San Felipe looking to the center of town.

Here is the beach, a few miles north of San Felipe (Playa Grande):

If that is an ugly beach, give me more!

Butt ugly. Look at the brown water and dirty brown sand. Tide goes out a 1/4 mile and the beach is worthless. No coves. Just flat, low-lying coast line. SS's pic was great, but that's not what most of SF looks like.

Doesn't hold a candle to Gonzaga, Loreto, or Conception. Or even BoLA for that matter. Not in the same zip code of beauty.

Down there you find turquoise blue waters and white sand beaches. SF is a MX party town or a desert rat town.

[Edited on 9-18-2018 by JZ]

[Edited on 9-19-2018 by BajaNomad]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 06:06 PM

You can check out:

Tourist Attractions: Valle de Cardones Gigantes (Giant Cardones Valley, Carnegia Gigantea) wich is unique in the world
Location: Km. 14 of highway Num. 5 San Felipe a Puertecitos, near Camp Estrello Ranch, take the detour to the right side and travel 200 meters on the unpaved road.

Also, Dia de Los Reyes is January 6th - there may be some celebrations in town.

There is an extreme tide around San Felipe. Know the high/low tides for the time you'll be there. Will definitely be a factor if you're going to kayak, Kinda fun to walk waaaaay out from the beaches north of San Felipe at low tide.

You can buy fresh shrimp at the marina from guys with coolers in the back of their truck - bring some garlic!

Do some research on the old mines around Colonia Delicias, and the specimens you might be able to discover.

You might want to take a day and go for a drive down toward Gonzaga Bay - the road is cut into interesting layers, and the beaches are pretty deserted.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2018 at 06:45 PM

Waves stir up sand and silt (near Colorado Delta). In your aerial photos there are no waves JZ.
Here is the same beach without waves (no wind):

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2018 at 07:48 AM

:D
===== =
Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Wolfpack,
Some good advice on here such as what ADVRIDER and DAVIDK posted.

Hopefully others will chime in and give you more tips and ideas.

Go with open eyes and a smile and you should enjoy yourselves.

Take some posters on here with a grain of salt such as JZ. He lacks tact, but I hope he means well.

According to him all dedicated GPS's should be immediately thrown in the dump, you must host your pictures on a 3rd party site and now it appears San Felipe is an 'armpit'.

A lot of people go to San Felipe and have plenty of fun and while it is not my area of choice, do not be dissuaded without looking into it first.

I too prefer to go much further south but with the road being paved so far down you have to go quite far nowadays to see any hints of the 'old baja' and you may or may not have the time to travel so far south.

Do not underestimate the area northwest of San Felipe. Look up on this site about Walter Henderson's Rock Pile for some info. Lots of cool stuff in those there mountains up around Cerro Borrego(Sharps Peak or whichever name you choose to use).
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.