Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: FMM on-llne
LAKingsFan

Mood: Cazadores y un puro!

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 05:35 PM
FMM on-llne

I'm trying to get my FMM on line at the Mexican Government website. My question is are they automatically issued/valid for 180 days regardless of the return date you enter? I'm only going to be down for 3 weeks but will probably return within the next 6 months and I'd rather not have to buy a new one if I don't have to.

Thanks!
Chris
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 05:40 PM

Because you STILL have to stop at the border to get the thing validated, it makes little sense to pre-purchase one in advance. Maybe 5 more minutes while you are there, out of your car, at the desk. Sorry.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LAKingsFan

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 06:19 PM

I read somewhere that you have to go to the government office, then walk around the corner to a bank to pay, then return to have it validated. I was hoping to avoid that hassle.

Oh, and even if I go and do everything in person my original question remains - is it automatically good for 180 days despite what I put for my return date?

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-21-2018 by LAKingsFan]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 06:31 PM

Not automatic... I had an agent once write in 90 days... and I asked him to make it 180 (I mean you pay the same price, so why not have it for the max.?)!

So, before the guy gets to the box where the days are written in, I say "180 please".

The bank teller at the border is just a few steps to a hundred feet away (depending which border). If the bank guy is not there (or closed) then the INM officer has a cash box in his desk. INM is open the same hours as the border. Another problem with the pre-paid FMM is that you must say which border crossing and have a limited window for when you can cross. It just isn't that great of a reason to do it, IMO.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 06:42 PM

Once at San Ysidro I walked right up to the official and a minute later while I was still at the window a busload of people, maybe 50, walked in and got in line. A minute later, I would have been at the back of the line.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 06:50 PM

San Ysidro has several kiosks with many INM officers for the big groups, at least at the new border when I got my FMM there in August 2017, midweek. There were two or three officers without any bus groups. It is just part of International travel and any Baja trip should not run on a time schedule. Just too many possible detours/ construction/ accidents/ military checks/ etc. Do not bring gringo time schedules in your mind on a Baja trip. :light::biggrin:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 06:56 PM

This was last year, one agent was working. Your statement: "Maybe 5 more minutes while you are there, out of your car" is not always true. It's just your experience.

[Edited on 9-21-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 07:32 PM

The advantage of a pre paid fmm has never been proven
to me, quite the contrary. A slight misprint, omitting a
middle name or using an initial for middle name has been
used for a reason for invalidating it. A bus load of tourists
in front of you? I would take that chance, get it at Mex
Imm when you cross

tobianogreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 07:35 PM

I’ve been looking at the on-line FMM version too but have some confusion. If you get one through Vagabundos you need to provide the exact date of entry. I assume the mex FMM site is the same. Also the FMM site states that the 180 day variety is good for one entry only, while I’ve seen others here say it’s good for multiple entries.

I’ll get it at the border.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2018 at 09:26 PM

Yes, the fine print at the bottom says must be surrendered when you exit Mexico. This is enforced when flying out of Mexico.

Land travelers get a whole different rule, according to INM officers at all Baja borders, who have been questioned by Nomads.

There is no actual stopping and checking of everyone crossing the border, and if they did make every land crosser get a new FMM at each trip south, the border crossing would be backed up to L.A. !!

It suffices that you paid for 6 months of legal crossing and to use it for up to 6 months. In addition, there is no requirement to return it when it expires (as had been in the past). Repeated questioning on all my times at INM have yielded the same response. In addition, last month (at Tecate) the officer said the 7-day free one that was required to be returned, was even ok to toss.

The fact is only a few of us bother to get an FMM every 6 months or every trip. The few who do can see the 90% of U.S. plated cars driving south without stopping every time we do. Sure, maybe they all already have a 6-month FMM (lol).

On the odd chance that there will be an INM inspection down south from the border is a good reason to get it, if you don't care about being "totally legal" (letter of the law).

bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 06:37 AM

My experience with a pre-paid FFM was not so good. (did through Baja Travel Club) Had proof of payment, but only had my Sentri card. Was told by Mexican official, need paper passport. He would not except my Sentri card as a passport.(which I found odd, as I was under the impression by US immigration it functioned as a passport card as well?)
He then went on to say he would not honor the proof of payment and that I should just plan on paying there. In short, I had the paperwork and proof of payment, but left without a FFM.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 07:59 AM

LAKingsfan: printing out the form and having it filled in before you get to the border will save you time simply by avoiding any line.

Once you get to the border, go to the bank first and pay, then see the agent to finalize.

At chaparral, go through the main doors to get to the bank. It is through the lobby on your right.

sbwontoo
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 08:49 AM

Yes the FMM is for 180 days if your Passport is good for that amount of time left on it, I pay for it online , it is faster for me and have done it the last 2 years and no problems...It has to be done within 7 days of entering Mexico...

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 10:09 AM

OK, so you have a 7-day window to activate (use) the FMM by mail.
You also have to cross the border where you planned to, in advance of your trip. If that border is blocked due to traffic requiring a detour to another crossing or you change your crossing location plans, too bad.
Finally, you need your passport book to be with you, per another Nomad.
Does that sound like everything?

This is to save 5-15 min dealing with a bank teller, one just for this payment, located at the border, right? OK! :light:;)

TIJUANA
OTAY
TECATE
MEXICALI (I) [downtown/ west]
MEXICALI (II) [east]
ALGODONES

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-21-2018 at 10:27 AM

My most recent FFM was obtained at Mexicali West (prior to the recent changes). Timing was perfect, I parked right in front of office, gave my passport card to the immigration officer, he filled out the form for me, I paid with pesos directly to him, and I was done!

Five minutes at most, after about the same amount of time getting through the border entrance line.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:26 AM

could someone post the government online site where you can print it out and pay for it......?
tobianogreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:55 AM

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html
LAKingsFan

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 05:19 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just wait and do everything at the border this time and see how it goes. Is 533 MXN still the cost?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 06:22 PM

They change the cost when exchange rates change. When you buy online, you pay whatever the rate is right now.

The only drawback of buying online is that you can't change the point of entry later (without buying a new FMM). Not an issue to me since I usually cross at SY/Chapparral and the chances of it being "blocked" or otherwise closed are slim, can barely remember one such accident in several years. Neither am I worried about spelling mistakes, there are only a few words to fill in the blank.

When buying online, you need to get it stamped at the border, and there is plenty of officers at SY where I cross. You are saving time on another line - to cashier, it could be extra 2 minutes or 32, so why push your luck...

I don't see much reason to use travel club services that do the same, with added inconvenience of snail mail (vs instant print from govt site), and with extra service fee.

A tip to those who buy from govt site - you will print both FMM and Banjercito paymjent receipt. You will need both. They will want to see the receipt before stamping your FMM.

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by Alm]
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 07:57 AM

The online FMM works perfectly well, and I can second the case of it saving time. I also had busloads of people that I was able to bypass at El Chaparral more than once.

Just stamp and go. Done!

I like the fact that I can pre-fill my information correctly and choose the length of time at 180 days.

The Global Entry/Sentri card is not a legal travel ID document outside the US. It's worthless except at the US border. You can only use a passport book or card for an FMM. Assuming that it would work is not the fault of the online INM/FMM system lol

In the end, to each his own ;-)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.