Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: K38 Surf Shop Theft
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

Mood: Craving Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 03:20 PM
K38 Surf Shop Theft

Went to K38 Surf Shop on a Friday afternoon for a margarita and some food and was only there for 20 minutes when I went to my truck and found that someone had broken the window and stolen 3 backpacks and multiple passports. Another group of Americans were in the store at the same time and there vehicle got broken into. When we informed the owner he laughed and said I can get you your passports back. After 20 minutes of arguing with him he told me to f*** off and leave. The police arrived and said that it happens all the time in the same spot we were at. The only people that got broken into were the people that were in his store. The security guard was out front the entire time. I will never go back, and I will deter any of my many Baja friends from going back. Complete bummer. I'd use extreme caution around that shop. After looking around I noticed at least 10 other windows that were laying on the ground.

[Edited on 9-23-2018 by wyatthurley55]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 03:26 PM

I love these folks.......just wish they would stop stealing all our chit :light:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 03:59 PM

Surfing K-38 was the reason I first crossed the border many, many moons ago. I went back a few years ago to check it out and saw where guys now park to paddle out, close to the surf shop. I immediately decided no way I'm parking my car there and paddling out.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:02 PM

JJJ denial post coming soon...............or he will blame the gringo surfers.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
JJJ denial post coming soon...............or he will blame the gringo surfers.

thank god he's still hell-bent on solving the LAbay murders ;)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wyatthurley55  
The only people that got broken into were the people that were in his store. The security guard was out front the entire time.

Sounds like k-38 surf shop is not a shop but a crime racket.
If the victims don’t tell the world about ripoffs on yelp and google reviews, the criminal enterprise will continue.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:42 PM

Is this at 38 or the one north of Calafia?

wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:50 PM

South of Calafia just across from Jesus.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

are you talking about K38 off the toll road?
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Literally right across from Jesus
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 05:03 PM

just trying to understand where the other one is:?:

so while your stuff was disappearing did you enjoy a craft beer at Sin Fronteras?

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by willardguy]
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 05:23 PM

so while your stuff was disappearing did you enjoy a craft beer at Sin Fronteras?

We did. Those guys were super nice and were so upset. They even gave us all a free beer.

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by BajaNomad]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 06:10 PM

This is awful.

:mad:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 06:58 PM

We did. Those guys were super nice and were so upset. They even gave us all a free beer.

How do,you,know that the bar staff were not part of the criminal enterprise? I,can imagine the bartender using radio or cell phone to tell the B&E guys your whereabouts, being lookout for the crime. Surf shop + bar+ gringos on vacation + SUV’s full of high-value toys, technology and cash - if I were a criminal, that would be a great place to set up an operation! Ka-ching! Bingo!

Nice touch, the lookout guys consoling you with free beers!

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by BajaNomad]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:11 PM

I don’t know he wasn’t, but they were both American owners and that was a little reassuring Regardless I’m never going back.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:12 PM
Getting the Goods

Back in '92 waiting at the Avis rental counter in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, the customer ahead of me asked "we just came from Jamaica and there we were advised to always leave the rental car unlocked so any thieves didn't damage the vehicle breaking in. Is it the same here ?"

"No", the clerk said "but always put your belongings in the trunk out of sight. They only break into the vehicles where they can see something to steal".

Good advice for Baja ?

Or, anywhere.
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Back in '92 waiting at the Avis rental counter in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, the customer ahead of me asked "we just came from Jamaica and there we were advised to always leave the rental car unlocked so any thieves didn't damage the vehicle breaking in. Is it the same here ?"

"No", the clerk said "but always put your belongings in the trunk out of sight. They only break into the vehicles where they can see something to steal".

Good advice for Baja ?

Or, anywhere.

Definitely. But when you have a single cab prerunner, there’s no other place to put your stuff. Before the Baja 1000 I’ll have a camper shell reinforced with expanded sheet metal. There won’t be anymore easy snatch and grabs from me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:27 PM

I don’t know he wasn’t, but they were both American owners and that was a little reassuring Regardless I’m never going back.

You are a fool if you think that gringos are less prone to criminal behaviour than Mexicans. Criminal behaviour does not differ by nationality or ethnicity.

Woke!

wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You are a fool if you think that gringos are less prone to criminal behaviour than Mexicans. Criminal behaviour does not differ by nationality or ethnicity.

I don’t think that gringos are less prone to criminal behavior. My entire house got ransacked last year in California while I was in Baja on vacation. I have zero trust or respect for anyone at that complex because their “security guard” was out front when it happened. And unfortunately the American owned brewery looks directly down on the spot where my truck and another Americans Jeep got broken into. They had the perfect vantage point. If there’s one thing that gets to me, it’s people who are thieves, and there damn lucky we didn’t catch them in the act.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2018 at 09:50 PM

I'd use extreme caution around that shop. After looking around I noticed at least 10 other windows that were laying on the ground.
[Edited on 9-23-2018 by wyatthurley55]

Almost there. Just use caution everywhere in Baja, not just where you got ripped off. This stuff happens everywhere.

Get an alarm for your vehicle. Had an alarm been activated, you'd have heard it and been running for your truck.

As for storing valuables in the trunk of a rental? You guys must think thief's are stupid. The trunk will open as quickly as a locked door -- about 2 seconds.

Don't leave valuables in your vehicle. Keep passports and valuables on you. Install an alarm on your vehicle and use it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.