Author: Subject: K38 Surf Shop Theft
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 03:30 AM

Keeps on getting worse, doesnt it?

A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 07:40 AM

The rash of smash and grab teams have been rampant all over the region, especially in popular tourist parking areas. They're starting to crack down on this activity in the tourist zone downtown, so it only makes sense that the criminals look elsewhere to work.

Don't get me wrong - getting ripped off sucks 100%. I'm NOT discounting that, but I think this story needs some clarification. Jacinto Garcia is the owner of K38 Surfshop and he's a solid guy. He's helped tourists in need, and even some in horrible situations many times. The surf shop doesn't serve margaritas, so this "owner" must be from one of the neighboring businesses.

No reason to smear the wrong business. What business were you actually in?

Bottom line: I never leave valuables in my ride. If I'm traveling and have multiple bags, I have my back pack with the my valuable electronics, passports, etc with me when I go into a restaurant and make sure I have line of sight with my ride, or I'll find another place to eat with a parking attendant, or one of us stands watch.
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

Mood: Craving Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by A?ejo Coca  
The rash of smash and grab teams have been rampant all over the region, especially in popular tourist parking areas. They're starting to crack down on this activity in the tourist zone downtown, so it only makes sense that the criminals look elsewhere to work.

Don't get me wrong - getting ripped off sucks 100%. I'm NOT discounting that, but I think this story needs some clarification. Jacinto Garcia is the owner of K38 Surfshop and he's a solid guy. He's helped tourists in need, and even some in horrible situations many times. The surf shop doesn't serve margaritas, so this "owner" must be from one of the neighboring businesses.

No reason to smear the wrong business. What business were you actually in?

Bottom line: I never leave valuables in my ride. If I'm traveling and have multiple bags, I have my back pack with the my valuable electronics, passports, etc with me when I go into a restaurant and make sure I have line of sight with my ride, or I'll find another place to eat with a parking attendant, or one of us stands watch.

I was drinking a margarita from Baja pig while talking with the owner of K38 Surf Shop in his shop. People keep telling me he’s a great guy, but when he told me he could get us our passports back, that was a serious red flag. And when I asked him what he meant he walked off, when I followed him and asked him again he told me to F*** off and never come back. He then proceeded to tell my father and brothers to F*** off. And when the police showed up he told me to pack my s*** and go back to Colorado and never come back to Baja. He was a complete a$$****. The police literally told me it happens in that parking lot all the time. How else am I supposed to react? Everything that transpired points directly at K38 surf shop.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:00 AM

How did you get back without your passports? Is theft/damage covered as part of your insurance? Who wrote the insurance? Have they been responsive to your claim? Have you been paid?

What did the police tell you to do? Did the police ask if you had your FMM, passport, or any kind of ID? How did they handle that?

Some of these questions might help others in the same situation.

Did you take pictures of your passport/FMM/CDL and keep on your phone? Maybe that's a good idea for all of us?

John

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by John Harper]
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wyatthurley55  

I was drinking a margarita from Baja pig while talking with the owner of K38 Surf Shop in his shop. People keep telling me he’s a great guy, but when he told me he could get us our passports back, that was a serious red flag. And when I asked him what he meant he walked off, when I followed him and asked him again he told me to F*** off and never come back. He then proceeded to tell my father and brothers to F*** off. And when the police showed up he told me to pack my s*** and go back to Colorado and never come back to Baja. He was a complete a$$****. The police literally told me it happens in that parking lot all the time. How else am I supposed to react? Everything that transpired points directly at K38 surf shop.

Thanks for the clarification. I've never hear of Jacinto doing something sideways like that. Not good to hear.

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by BajaNomad]
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:10 AM

I always keep my passport in my back pocket due to a previous passport getting stolen in Cabo. So I was in the clear, but my brother and friends weren’t so lucky. The police asked us for our ID’s and they snapped a picture of it. They then told us to go to the attorney general’s office and report the stolen passports. After that the police bailed. We went and reported the passports stolen, and then I called my insurance who was through Baja Bound and they are going to cover the window replacement, but none of the gear inside the vehicle. I was staying at the Rosarito Beach Hotel and luckily I have multiple local friends in rosarito and they made sure my truck was good. I love Baja and won’t stop going back. But this is getting old

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by wyatthurley55]

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by wyatthurley55]
Barbless

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:20 AM

Hello BajaNomad folks! After trolling for what seems like forever, I had to make a reply. So for over 30 years of back and forth northern Baja/San Diego afternoon surf jaunts, my truck ultimatley falls victim to the break in. Parked in the dirt on a Thursday just 50 feet south of the K-38 store. Some device inserted under my Tundra driver door handle, popped the door open and didn't activate the alarm. Took my wife's makeup bag and I take blame not enforcing my rules of stashing EVERYTHING out of sight before parking. Enjoyed a beer at Fronteras then strolled to Las Rocas for a sunset appetizer. Security guard was in the area. Didn't even notice the missing bag or the indent next to my door handle until the next day. So just a heads up! Be weary of that zone unless parked directly in front of Taco Surf or within eye sight. Cheers!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barbless  

Some device inserted under my Tundra driver door handle, popped the door open and didn't activate the alarm.

Wow! High tech thieves. Does anybody know more about these devices? Hate to think my elaborate truck alarm is ineffective.

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 09:03 AM

I think alarms may give a false sense of security. I've seen videos of these smash and grabs and they happen incredibly quick, like an F1 pit stop. If anything the alarm probably make them work even quicker.

I'll take a guess that the high tech equipment required to pop a Tundra handle may have been a screwdriver?

There's nothing better than a clearly empty vehicle. I'll even leave the glove and center console open sometimes. Luckily, it's worked so far...
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 09:12 AM

I was staying at a hotel in Napa in 2013, 7 cars (including mine) had windows busted out. Why? Because we had stuff in view. I always kept my tennis bag in the back seat and didn't think anything about it. Not any more. Walk down the street in San Francisco, you will see broken windows. NEVER leave anything in view no matter where you are, smash and grab is too easy for thieves, and glass is no barrier, especially for a little hammer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The only people that got broken into were the people that were in his store. The security guard was out front the entire time.

Sounds like k-38 surf shop is not a shop but a crime racket.
If the victims don’t tell the world about ripoffs on yelp and google reviews, the criminal enterprise will continue.

Nice that this gets posted on Nomads and remains here, without the victims having to basically produce a police report or some other such "proof" like on Talk Baja. I expect this would be deep sixed over there, pronto, based on their previous "standards".

Many thanks to the original poster for alerting Nomads to the situation. I see others are now chiming in with similar stories.

NEVER assume that a businesses security guard is there for the protection of your possessions. Quite the contrary. I have read about and experienced situations where they were part of the whole racket. Basically, they were paid to be the "eyes" that warned the perps. Quite common in Puerto Penasco, with regards to vehicle thefts.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 09:35 AM

.....when we informed the owner he laughed and said I can get you your passports back. After 20 minutes of arguing with him...

[Edited on 9-23-2018 by wyatthurley55]

I understand your frustration and anger and, having been in a similar situation feel for you. This kind of crime is random and unpredictable. It's no worse than it's always been, it just changes location. It's hard to be calm in those situations but arguing gets nothing. In future, the best course of action may be to take the logical path. In this case it would of been logical to try to negotiate the return of your passports. Years ago I had a number of guns stolen. I went right to the house I figured housed the perps. (young kids) I offered to buy them back. Next day I got my stuff back missing a very nice antique 22 pump. I asked about it. The kid said, "The boss liked it - it's not for sale!"

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 09:57 AM

Sanity check, The Libre road is the "hood".
Whenever I go to La Fonda or any of the other places on the Libre road with security guards, I always approach the security guy and ask him what color my truck is? He looks at me an says, blue.
I then get real close to him if I can and say NO, its not just blue, its Sinoloa Blue. (home of El Chapo)

Same way as when I worked in the L.A. region, you don't wear red or blue on the wrong side of Crenshaw Blvd, I drove my other truck.

Es Todo Bueno
wyatthurley55
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
.....when we informed the owner he laughed and said I can get you your passports back. After 20 minutes of arguing with him...

I understand your frustration and anger and, having been in a similar situation feel for you. This kind of crime is random and unpredictable. It's no worse than it's always been, it just changes location. It's hard to be calm in those situations but arguing gets nothing. In future, the best course of action may be to take the logical path. In this case it would of been logical to try to negotiate the return of your passports. Years ago I had a number of guns stolen. I went right to the house I figured housed the perps. (young kids) I offered to buy them back. Next day I got my stuff back missing a very nice antique 22 pump. I asked about it. The kid said, "The boss liked it - it's not for sale!"

Trust me when I say that the owner went zero to one hundred in the blink of an eye. As soon as I asked more questions he flipped out. There was no reasoning with him whatsoever.
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 10:10 AM

Reflecting on this situation after weebray's post, I recalled the time when my neighbors house got broken into. After telling the property owner about it, he said that he knew who the perps were, and he said he could likely make arrangements to get the property back.

Our landlord wasn't an accomplice, but he knew who did it and wasn't interested in getting the authorities involved. It does seem shady, but it's just the way things work in Mexico sometimes.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  

And then you burned the house down?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Barbless  

Some device inserted under my Tundra driver door handle, popped the door open and didn't activate the alarm.

Wow! High tech thieves. Does anybody know more about these devices? Hate to think my elaborate truck alarm is ineffective.

[Edited on 9-24-2018 by SFandH]

The old tacomas it only took a ball point pen. the new ones must take a screwdriver. They make steel plates that go inside doors to prevent this.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by A?ejo Coca  
..... when I go into a restaurant and make sure I have line of sight with my ride, or I'll find another place to eat with a parking attendant, or one of us stands watch.

Thanks for posting this. This is what I do too -- don't mind having a healthy paranoia about locals wanting my stuff. Thought I only did this.

Line of sight. Or close enough to hear my alarm.

If I'm surfing Old Man's and stop at Cabo Costco, I park close enough to the front and ask one of the guys hanging outside to watch my car and board and that I'll pay them.

Thought they have security driving around there but heard about a Todos resident who had his vehicle broken into and laptop stolen.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 02:34 PM

This problem is rampant in San Francisco. My 4Runner passenger window was smashed in a public parking garage. My dog, surfboards and other stuff was in there but all they took was my backpack with my passport and computer in it. It is a widespread problem all over the city and police can't do anything because of how fast it happens.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 02:44 PM

yup no question this can happen anywhere.....the sad part is the response from the surfshop owner :(
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.