Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alfonsinas or Camp?
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 04:59 PM
Alfonsinas or Camp?

Headed down to Gonzaga Bay and going to stay the night after a long drive...from Southern Ca. (10hrs??)

Hearing mixed reviews about Alfonsinas. I know its pricey but other than that is it a nice spot to stay the night? Good restaurant? Safe?
What hotel would you compare it to?

Or is it better to camp out in the area? Where is the best place to camp? Beach camp, secluded, 4x4 access is ok, must be safe. Or one of the 'camps' in that area I've read about?

First timer in the area, but experienced along the 1

Thx
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 05:30 PM

It is a very nice setting to stay at, but the prices have gone up a lot from what they were. Food is still good and rooms are nice, you won't find a better place to relax. I didn't care for a $100 dollar a night room that wasn't all the way done and didn't have any towels or soap. I still stop in for a beer and the view.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 05:34 PM

You will get a lot of replys telling you to stay away from Alfonsinas . I will say it has change in the last few years and not for the better. But it is a good clean and safe place to stay , a bit over priced but a thread for an other day.
There are plapas just south of Alfonsinas , rancho grande nice safe and a lot cheaper. If you are too tired to cook go to Alfonsinas for dinner a 10 minute drive and save on the hotel.

[Edited on 9-25-2018 by freediverbrian]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 05:45 PM

stay at alfonsina's, just to say you have....make reservations
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 06:22 PM

Options are:

Punta Bufeo Motel, about 7 miles north (not on the beach, but a short walk across the runway to a huge sand beach fronted by private homes).

Rancho Grande cabins (mobile homes) next to Alfonsina's property to the south.

Campo Beluga cabins, south of Rancho Grande.

El Sacrificio cabins, south of Beluga.

Restaurants at La Poma, Papa Fernandez', Alfonsina's, and Rancho Grande market area on the highway. El Sacrificio was reported serving food, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 07:50 PM

All of the places that David pointed out are good spots and you can still to Alfonsina's for dinner. The spots that rancho grande have across the street are good camping spots, I've stayed there a few times..
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 08:21 PM

I have camped at the Rancho Grande palapas that are on the beach by the air strip. One time, my dog and I were the only ones there!

The next time (within a week or so of the same date) it was jamb packed, with dueling sound systems and party patrons! If you happen to arrive there within a couple of days of a Mexican holiday, or a race event, be prepared for company.

Good company mind you, but your sleep may be impaired a bit. Campo Beluga was also fairly well occupied, so I found a trail to a beach where we were alone...except for a few coyotes!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 04:56 AM

Would be nice after a 10 hr drive to have someone else cook dinner and then relax before going to bed. Try the hotel. Always been great for me.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 07:24 AM

David K, I see a gas pump symbol at KM147 on your map. I am driving the 5 in October but had the impression there was no gas on the 5 south of San Felipe. Is that a full service Pemex or a couple of barrels with gas?
Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 07:53 AM

If you are going to camp, I suggest El Sacrificio. Nice folks, nice beach, good food but limited facilities. Yes it's rustico, so it depends on your taste and expectations as to whether or not you'll like it there.

La Pazadise
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
David K, I see a gas pump symbol at KM147 on your map. I am driving the 5 in October but had the impression there was no gas on the 5 south of San Felipe. Is that a full service Pemex or a couple of barrels with gas?

Really, where did you hear that? Not here! :light:
Nomad is the place we share real information from travelers, locals, and ex-pats!
There has been a Pemex gasoline station at Gonzaga Bay for many years... constructed about 1998, and opened several years later. There is also a Pemex station at Puertecitos.

See it just north of the road to Alfonsina's:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 10:59 AM

IF...you decide to camp and want remote, pull into punta bufeo but head south into the obvious draw, remnants of an old fish camp and some really good shore fishing;)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 11:13 AM

If you need diesel? The pumps are on the backside/bayside of the Gonzaga Pemex in David Ks photo:light:.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 11:40 AM

Also air at the diesel pumps but you may need to ask them to turn the compressor on.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2018 at 12:02 PM

My last trip through there, several other vehicles and I had to wait for the station to re-open after an apparent lunch break!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.