Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Growth of Los Barriles
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 03:38 PM
Growth of Los Barriles

I've been going down to Los Barriles for the last 15 years now, I actually own a lot in Buena Vista that's on the market but that's another story. It seems like in just the last few years the area has been experiencing a major growth spurt I'm constantly reading in the various Baja blogs, websites, etc. of so many new grigos building homes or buying up existing properties and moving to the area. If you go in the height of the snow bird months the town is really getting crowded, try driving through down town at lunch time, its a mess. Not sure if anyone else like me has the concern that this great little piece of paradise will some day end up being another Cabo a place I lost interest in many years ago. My plan was when I retire in 8 years was to be one of those snow bird part timers but apparently I'm already too late if the growth keeps up maybe I look to similar places in Baja that was like Los Barriles 15 years ago. Thanks for listening.

[Edited on 10-4-2018 by bajafreaks]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 03:49 PM

Scorpion Bay was a tiny fishing village of San Juanico, once.
Cabo San Lucas had no paved road to it when I first went there.
There was no gringo town of El Dorado Ranch north of San Felipe at one time... Even Bahia de los Angeles has 24-hour power now... no more generator shutting down at 10 and all the stars filling the sky.

All places that have an appeal or that Americans begin to group at are at risk of success (for the Mexican landowners and businessmen).

Nice that you remember the way it was, but that you wanted to live there was not a unique idea!

Find another place, but it will not stay that way if a road to it is paved! I will suggest Playas Pacificas to build your Baja get-away at. Tell them (Rob and Linda) that David K sent you! www.playaspacificas.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 04:26 PM

We have seen the same thing...owned a house in Todos Santos in the '80s when everyone spoke Spanish. Still lots of small towns around at the end of that dirt road.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 04:56 PM

definition of life is change

it is up to you accept the direction

find a place with "no potential" and a bad road

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 05:03 PM

It's the economy. Times are good right now.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Scorpion Bay was a tiny fishing village of San Juanico, once.
Cabo San Lucas had no paved road to it when I first went there.
There was no gringo town of El Dorado Ranch north of San Felipe at one time... Even Bahia de los Angeles has 24-hour power now... no more generator shutting down at 10 and all the stars filling the sky.

All places that have an appeal or that Americans begin to group at are at risk of success (for the Mexican landowners and businessmen).

Nice that you remember the way it was, but that you wanted to live there was not a unique idea!

Find another place, but it will not stay that way if a road to it is paved! I will suggest Playas Pacificas to build your Baja get-away at. Tell them (Rob and Linda) that David K sent you! www.playaspacificas.com

Absolutely disgusting. How on earth do you promote this type of development? Is nothing sacred anymore?

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

Absolutely disgusting. How on earth do you promote this type of development? Is nothing sacred anymore?

He's not promoting it. He's giving you the facts.

Your "outrage" is misguided.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 08:35 PM

Thanks JZ.
BoojumMan, I love raw Baja, no paved roads, no development. That is sadly just not reality. The home project of Playas Pacificas is as close to an ideal location in Baja Sur, not quite the full grid, that I know.
Not sure how you misunderstood my post as promiting civilization, but don't worry as that is not my idea of Baja.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
I've been going down to Los Barriles for the last 15 years now, I actually own a lot in Buena Vista that's on the market but that's another story. It seems like in just the last few years the area has been experiencing a major growth spurt I'm constantly reading in the various Baja blogs, websites, etc. of so many new grigos building homes or buying up existing properties and moving to the area. If you go in the height of the snow bird months the town is really getting crowded, try driving through down town at lunch time, its a mess. Not sure if anyone else like me has the concern that this great little piece of paradise will some day end up being another Cabo a place I lost interest in many years ago. My plan was when I retire in 8 years was to be one of those snow bird part timers but apparently I'm already too late if the growth keeps up maybe I look to similar places in Baja that was like Los Barriles 15 years ago. Thanks for listening.

[Edited on 10-4-2018 by bajafreaks]

A major new study from the surgeon general reached unpredictable conclusion: “99.6% of adults over the age of 60 agree that life in the past was preferable to today, compared to just 0.5 % per cent who think the present day is best. 67.2% of adults over 60 also think their dog is sexier than their spouse.”

You kids get off my lawn!

[Edited on 10-4-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 12:09 AM

Lol
It's the way of colonialism.
Fidelity investments claims to have 168,000 IRA millionaires and they have money to spend.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 07:57 AM

LB was too crowded in the 80s when Jay Valentine promoted it. Now? it's still basically a one lane road with 1000 cars blocking the way so going to yoga and Chapitos market is a major traffic jam. It's overcrowded and overpriced with no road infrastructure. Instead you should get outta a town a bit and invest in the condo development up the road Bajado de la mesa en Boca del Alamo. (Sarcasm)

[Edited on 10-4-2018 by gnukid]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 10:41 AM

T... misunderstood my post as promiting civilization, but don't worry as that is not my idea of Baja.

Providing a link. Suggesting to use his name for referral. Typing as an unconscious and uncontrollable act? :)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

find a place with "no potential" and a bad road

Doesn't work, they build the roads.

Besides, a place with no potential will end up having a potential merely due to over-population. What is a crowd to you, to Chinese is an empty space. Btw, I am surprised they are not here in numbers yet like they are in Canada and the US. Though, real estate partner corporations of Carlos Slim are described as "global", which in this day and age translates as "Chinese".
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
T... misunderstood my post as promiting civilization, but don't worry as that is not my idea of Baja.

Providing a link. Suggesting to use his name for referral. Typing as an unconscious and uncontrollable act? :)

I was helping a Nomad (bajafreaks) with an idea for his new home location in Baja that might work based on his input. It's not my development but one owned by a pair of Baja Nomads... keeping 'in-family' if you like. Why shouldn't Nomads help other Nomads? I thought that was what made this site as great as it is! If helping others here is promoting, then sure, whatever you think.

bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I was helping a Nomad (bajafreaks) with an idea for his new home location in Baja that might work based on his input. It's not my development but one owned by a pair of Baja Nomads... keeping 'in-family' if you like. Why shouldn't Nomads help other Nomads? I thought that was what made this site as great as it is! If helping others here is promoting, then sure, whatever you think.

Thanks David funny how a simple conversation gets blown out of proportion
Higo

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:54 AM

BajaFreaks, the good news is that the busier it gets, your lot should sell. It's frustrating to see it grow, yes. But the growth CAN mean good things. Like the local (native) population has better and more jobs, there are more things to do to attract people of all ages. A better economy helps everyone. For the local families who scrape by cleaning hotel rooms and maintaining boats, more businesses and people are a good thing. I feel you on wanting that untouched paradise. But there are still hundreds of miles of that within a stones throw. Getting away from people is still extremely easy here. Go to a place like Tulum, where it is truly "lost" to development in a painfully short amount of time (sargassum overgrowth, fences (legal and otherwise) resorts, beach chairs for 10$USD/hour) and you are reminded what a truly unique and beautiful place this is.

[Edited on 10-5-2018 by Higo]
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 01:51 PM

I still like it even if it is growing it is small enough and you can always hop the back road to the hwy 1 and avoid town
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
definition of life is change

it is up to you accept the direction

find a place with "no potential" and a bad road[/rquot

Add no power and no water you will get another 10- 15 years of peace.
bajafreaks
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Higo  
BajaFreaks, the good news is that the busier it gets, your lot should sell. It's frustrating to see it grow, yes. But the growth CAN mean good things. Like the local (native) population has better and more jobs, there are more things to do to attract people of all ages. A better economy helps everyone. For the local families who scrape by cleaning hotel rooms and maintaining boats, more businesses and people are a good thing. I feel you on wanting that untouched paradise. But there are still hundreds of miles of that within a stones throw. Getting away from people is still extremely easy here. Go to a place like Tulum, where it is truly "lost" to development in a painfully short amount of time (sargassum overgrowth, fences (legal and otherwise) resorts, beach chairs for 10$USD/hour) and you are reminded what a truly unique and beautiful place this is.

[Edited on 10-5-2018 by Higo]

Thanks Higo, nicely put.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.