BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hwy 5 / Chapala Updates???
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 07:41 AM
Hwy 5 / Chapala Updates???

Does anyone have any CURRENT info about Hwy 5? Some friends came south yesterday and said that Hwy 5 was closed at Chapala. It looks like there are some bypass roads already in place. Any updates are appreciated! My friends were some of the people that got trapped on an island (on the 5) and had to spend the night out there during the storm! Quite the Baja story!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 09:12 AM

HWY 5 bridge washout by Gonzaga

Sierra Faust

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 09:42 AM

We weathered the storm at Gonzaga Bay, and just made it out and back to San Diego on Wednesday. We had to go south from Gonzaga Bay to MX-1 and then north. The unpaved section of MX-5 is in great condition (only 17 miles left unpaved), and MX-1 is its usual self.

When we were pulling out on Wednesday morning, it was not recommended to try MX-5 north in our Subaru Outback.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 10:18 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Quote: Originally posted by Sierra Faust  
We weathered the storm at Gonzaga Bay, and just made it out and back to San Diego on Wednesday. We had to go south from Gonzaga Bay to MX-1 and then north. The unpaved section of MX-5 is in great condition (only 17 miles left unpaved), and MX-1 is its usual self.

When we were pulling out on Wednesday morning, it was not recommended to try MX-5 north in our Subaru Outback.

Your first posts on this forum are very timely, and useful! Most first time posts are are looking for information (which is what this forum is all about!), but you started right off with a meaningful contribution!

Have you been following this website for a while? I look forward to reading more of your insights about Baja, if you care to share them.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 07:58 PM

Thanks! Heading north tomorrow....sounds like I’ll be heading up the Pacific side!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 08:31 PM

Just went by 5 at Chapala today, have the road closed.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 09:35 PM

One of the other posts here says Chapala road is fine. they left Gonzaga that way yesterday to go north on 1.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
One of the other posts here says Chapala road is fine. they left Gonzaga that way yesterday to go north on 1.

Open going South, not North.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 06:37 AM

I just came south yesterday on hwy1, hate that road but as I went by the hwy5 intersection at Chapala I saw signs that seemed to indicate that the road was closed, but I didn't stop and read them. You can probably stop today when you go by and see what the signs actually say. No problems on hwy1 except for Catavina the arroyos just north and south were washed so you have to go slow through there. Also they asr working on the road just south of Santo Tomas and you may get stuck there for a half hour or so as they have reduced it to one lane and the line of vehicles was a couple of miles long when I went through and the wait was about 30 minutes.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
tuckles

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 12:38 PM

Has anyone traveled Hwy. 5 yesterday or today from San Felipe to Hwy. 1. If so, what types of vehicles can make the trip. How are all the detours? If you have traveled that route, Oct. 5 or 6 would you think it would be okay for a later model Ford Explorer 2-wheel drive? Thanks.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 01:46 PM

Heard from a friend in San Felipe that hwy 5 south bound out of San Felipe was closed and federales were tuning cars back . Up to a week

[Edited on 10-6-2018 by freediverbrian]
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 06:56 AM

https://m.facebook.com/groups/400767196648940/
I'm not a face book user, but you can view without joining.
The post is about 8 hours old, guys says he drove from San Felipe to Puertecitos. Two wheel drive truck, wouldn't advise a car or big trailers doing it.

[Edited on 10-7-2018 by DouglasP]

I like beer, better than most people.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 10:55 AM

Hi,

Most of the problems on Hwy 5 are south of KM 40 to Gonzaga Bay. The word is that the road is closed from KM 75 To Gonzaga Bay. Last night the 1st 18 wheeler went by north bound probably from the fishing camps around KM 70.

The big problem seems to be the major bridge that is undermined near KM 100

We may drive down to where the road is closed today. I will post pictures and info if any is available.

There is the possibility of another storm the end of this week or not!
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Hi,

Most of the problems on Hwy 5 are south of KM 40 to Gonzaga Bay. The word is that the road is closed from KM 75 To Gonzaga Bay. Last night the 1st 18 wheeler went by north bound probably from the fishing camps around KM 70.

The big problem seems to be the major bridge that is undermined near KM 100

We may drive down to where the road is closed today. I will post pictures and info if any is available.

There is the possibility of another storm the end of this week or not!

RF, we are heading down to our place in Punta Chivato from Idaho. We are planning to be crossing the border Tuesday morning. Really wanting to take Hwy 5 down if possible. Really hoping to hear more definitive info by Tuesday AM. We have a high clearance 4x4, so some rough stuff would be okay. Please share any info you find out.

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 03:21 PM

Almost every site has Sergio coming across that area friday/sat this week... Looks like you might be that far before the storm if the road is open. We are planning late next week but now not sure. really did not want to go back to traveling down 1.
good luck

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 04:51 PM

From face book cowpatty

IMG_1075.PNG - 143kB
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 07:43 PM

Well that report pretty much weld it. Down 1 we go! Beat feet and get in before Sergio hits.
Thanks for the report, heart goes out to those effected, that doesn't sound good. Be safe.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 10:35 PM

Hi,

We drove as far as the washed out bridge at KM 100 today. The road was passable that far south with lots of bypasses and lots of rocks and undermining south of KM 80 or so.

In my opinion the washout at KM 100 would be difficult even for 4x4s lots of very soft sand in the river bottom. There are a lot of places that look like things will get worse. (Cracks in the road and rock slides)

One of the wells at KM 60 seems to be destroyed. The other is still there with tracks leading in and out.

The road work between KM 60 and KM 75 is largely destroyed. Most of the culverts were too small by a factor of 3X. The road is passable on the bypass

The Pemex station at KM 76 (on the side road) was open and still had gas.

The dry lagoon south of KM 85 is no longer dry!

I have some pictures I’ll post from the States, we’re going back tomorrow.
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 05:47 AM

RF, thank you for the first hand report. No way we will be trying to head down Hwy 5 at this point. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like Sergio is gonna try and finish what Rosa started.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 07:13 AM

Well this is a bummer - was gonna head up Mex 5 for the first time end of October but with additional damage coming from Senior Sergio, I'm not confident it will be passable for my old lady SUV.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.