BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hwy 5 / Chapala Updates???
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 05:44 AM

Go around the damaged road looks pretty decent.
FYI
https://facebook.com/Kentgharrington/videos/1021527696401074...
Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2018 at 04:27 PM

Great clip, thanks
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2018 at 11:57 AM

Went through 11/1, piece of cake.
One spot on bridge diversion where 18 wheeler was stuck going up hill as road was real loose from previous trucks, just go around. As usual drop down tires to around 18/20 lbs. between Gonzaga and Chapala, fill up at llantera at other end in Chapala.
All the iron in the mountains was parked, almost nobody around, according to fella in llantera, they ran out of money.
rimrock

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 05:24 AM
Hwy 5

Any recent reports on Hwy 5 ? Heading south on the 18th and trying to decide our route. 30' 5th wheel with 4x4 truck. Have done it the last 4 years in a 35' Class A motorhome with no concerns. Figure if semi's are using it I should be fine albeit slow. Any thoughts appreciated.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 07:31 AM

I drove it last week. Not sure I would tow a fifth wheel due to the detours. The rest of the road is ok but that one detour where the truck is stopped, and has been for at least a week is a steep up hill. I did see a tow behind that had gone up that hill. Just not sure for me it would be worth it if I had the time to go around.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 10:41 AM

Just returned from Gonzaga. I would not want to try to navigate the race traffic along with the Semis. Some of the detour switchbacks are one vehicle only so you have to wait your turn and if you miscalculate or do not see the tractor trailer rig over the rise you would have to back up. Use Hwy 1 with that trailer. The off road portions of 5 will beat the snot out of your trailer and its contents. 3 plus hours towing a small utility trailer with a 4X4 truck, Rancho Grande to SF.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 04:27 PM
Another view

We drove Chapala through Coco's to San Felipe on the 9th.

The road nearest Highway 1 is really nice shape compared to earlier trips. There is then a little rough surface for a couple of miles but soon you are onto the new roadbed - we somehow missed the route that bypasses Coco's and so we had two or three miles of the old rocky slow section - the only really slow part. After Coco's the main road is the smoothest I remember it, no need to take those sandy side roads. Then, it's onto the gravel base of the new road, mixed with new blacktop and you are off to the races.

North of Rancho Grande we thought that all the detours - maybe a dozen of them were just fine. smooth gravel, and mostly less than 300 yards long each. North of Puertecitos there is nine miles of good gravel where they are making a new road - it was smooth, easy going. From KM 60 to KM 40 there are the usual potholes.

Narrow? in a couple of places but I don't think it was anything to be concerned about. There is good visibility of oncoming traffic.

Encountered a military checkpoint at KM 10.

Though I was in my Tacoma, I don't think a motorhome or other RV should have issues if you exercise reasonable care.

John M
rimrock

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 08:14 AM
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Will post an update of my experience, figure I have more of a comfort margin with my 4x4 and increased clearance margin on my 5th wheel vs my class A. I go 10mph and enjoy the scenery, still much preferred for me over the chaos of Hwy 1.
BajaZephyr

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 01:38 PM

Well, everyone that’s saying it’s easy is clearly not in an RV. We just attempted it south with our 4X4 truck towing a lightweight 19-ft trailer. As the previous post mentioned, Km 40-60 has several washed out sections that have been filled with gravel, but you still have to significantly slow down for them. At Km 60 we hit the new construction gravel and could only go 10 km/hr without rattling overselves. We have done the 35-km section past Coco’s many times and were prepared for that, but not for several more miles of gravel before even hitting Puertocitas. Someone going the other way told us it was 40 km of gravel so we turned around.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 05:35 PM

My trip report here on Nomad for August 2018, detailed the kilometer markers and distances for all the unpaved and detour routes. The flash flood damage happened on or around October 1 and it has added many more, but short, detours around washed out bridges and roadbeds.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.