Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: More problems at San Ignacio Checkoint
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 07:39 AM

Just went through yesterday, with much anticipation. Not so bad. Towing a 16' flatbed trailer with my tundra. The trailer is loaded with a bedroom set and taped with a heavy canvas tarp. Was asked to get out and my wife stayed inside. He poked through the pockets on the door, then asked if he could use the rock sliders to climb up into the cab. Gave him a thumbs up, he rooted around in the console, climbed back out. He then had me open the back door. No I have the seats out and this thing is packed with plastic totes and tool boxes. I was thinking, here we go, but he just looked around the outsides of the boxes. Found a bottle of water on the floor and asked if it was soda, said no, aqua. He chucked back on the floor, stepped back and closed the door and said vamos.

I like beer, better than most people.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 07:50 PM

just made a bonzie trip this past week, passed the San Ignacio checkpoint twice. Going south they took my name, asked the year of the truck and asked if they could have a case of gatorade I had in the back seat, I said no, not the full case, as I needed some for the week. I cut the case in half and gave him 1/2 the case, I have no problem with this and I have always been a little gracious with the military guys in general. I speak pretty good spanish and definatly good enough to get my point across. Every other checkstop I got waived through after the typical few questions. I would never leave anything of value just laying around in the glove compartment or center console, keep all your personal stuff on you when you get out, if they want to look at it, no problem, I open things up and let them take a peek inside. All common sense stuff
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
just made a bonzie trip this past week, passed the San Ignacio checkpoint twice. Going south they took my name, asked the year of the truck and asked if they could have a case of gatorade I had in the back seat, I said no, not the full case, as I needed some for the week. I cut the case in half and gave him 1/2 the case, I have no problem with this and I have always been a little gracious with the military guys in general. I speak pretty good spanish and definatly good enough to get my point across. Every other checkstop I got waived through after the typical few questions. I would never leave anything of value just laying around in the glove compartment or center console, keep all your personal stuff on you when you get out, if they want to look at it, no problem, I open things up and let them take a peek inside. All common sense stuff

Don’t give anything to the mother flockers!
It is wrong that occupants of cars must keep valuables on themselves to protect themselves from flocking thieving military, uninformed thugs. The military guys deserve to burn in hell, and rewarding them with “free” drinks is rewarding their bad behaviour. They ask for something, tell them no.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 08:49 PM

Yes - I never give them anything . They're always asking for something - sunglasses batteries duct tape. giving in just escalates the problem. No different than the crooked cops trying to get money off of you.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
No different than the crooked cops trying to get money off of you.
Aren't most of those soldiers just kids having to do their military service and shipped out there from places like Oaxaca and Chiapas? I can't imagine what life must be like for them stuck out in the desert far so from home. :(

i agree lencho. just kids a long way from where they come from.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 08:05 AM

Aren't most of those soldiers just kids having to do their military service and shipped out there from places like Oaxaca and Chiapas? I can't imagine what life must be like for them stuck out in the desert far so from home. :(

Being a kid away from home in the military is a poor excuse for being a thief. Stop making excuses for these thieving bastards!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 08:09 AM

Goat do you hate your mother too.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Being a kid away from home in the military is a poor excuse for being a thief. Stop making excuses for these thieving bastards!

They are not all thieves....

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 08:23 AM

I have noticed that this checkpoint above San Ignacio is not manned by youth. I've been through it several dozen times and the staff has mostly been older military. I think there is a method to the fact that they make it a difficult situation for many. I remember the family of 4 locals with daughters in school uniforms getting a 10 minute search on a Sunday evening. If I had daughters and they were treated how I saw, there would be a price payed. This checkpoint has been abusive for a long time.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The military guys deserve to burn in hell, and rewarding them with “free” drinks is rewarding their bad behaviour.
Have you spent much time talking to Mexican soldier-children?

Those "mother-flockers" may be the only thing preventing unbridled attacks on sitting duck tourists like you along the Peninsula.

Personally I appreciate their presence and feel for the poor kids stuck out there in the middle of nowhere watching the paleface aliens pass through their posts talking unintelligible gibberish and flouting unimaginable wealth which must present horrible temptations to someone with dead batteries in his flashlight and 5 pesos to his name who comes from a one-room choza with no furniture but hammocks.

Sounds like San Ignacio has a local problem, but your grouping all military guys as thieving bastards just shows your lack of empathy, contextual understanding and humanity.

You disappoint me. :no:

Only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. If the military had a culture of honor and lawfulness they would root out the thieves and throw them in the brig. But seems to be institutionalized criminal enterprise.

Woke!

chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 08:18 PM

I must agree with sweetwater, this checkpiont has always beeen, shall we say 'different'. And it does seem to have a few more officers, than youngins. That said, geographically its a major north to south tipping point on the penninsula, so a bright and informed individual may conceed that it may be 'staged' to be a tough spot. I do not agree with any of the bullchit that has absolutly happened at this checkpoint over the last few years, although I have never experienced anything more than a weak shakedown for gatorade. Keep in mind, if one of these checkstops ***s w u and u know u are clean, don't get excited, especially if its a small bag of weed ( which is not illegal ), once again, if its not urs and u are in the right, look them directley in the eye and state that its a bullchit deal and you will be reporting this to the authorities ( everyone who passes this checkpoint should write down Pescadors contact info, out of San Lucas Cove area ) I have never heard goat or mojo norte ever have an original thing to say on this board, negitive, unhappy people are listened to and forgotten. It is definatly a fact, MOST of the military on the penninsula are helpful and put there to be just that. I'm not agreeing that any type of shakedown is legit, just saying for anyone on the fringes, don't be afraid of the military.
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 07:19 AM

I went through there about a month ago up to and returning from US. I will say I did not know of the issues and my look out out detector hit me there. Why, because the one soldier was trying to hard on several occasions to distract me because his english was good and the other one was searching. I kept my eyes on the searcher at all times and the guy with good english not searching kept trying to distract and I would not allow it. He also tried to get me to open the trunk while the guy was searching in my car which i said no and pointed to the guy and my eyes searching inferring i had to watch him. My hunch is this is a potential pair when on duty to watch out for theft. This has been one of the very few times in my 20 years of going back and forth up to two times a year I have felt this way.

As we know the few that there are bad guys do similar at gas stations, the distract game.

Warf
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 08:56 AM

Friends went through yesterday. Soldiers went through their camper and asked for wine, cheese from the fridge etc.
They politely refused all requests and were treated with hostility. Isn't there a phone number para denunciar?

La Pazadise
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 09:13 AM

If you are going South and have a problem, you should stop at the Military Base 16/A South of Santa Rosalia at San Lucas Cove and ask to report to the commandante. If you are going north, the Military group in charge is at Guerrero Negro on the side of the road by the big Mexico flag. Here is the contact information for Guerrero Negro.
40/a. ZONA MILITAR.
CUARTEL GENERAL 40/a. Z.M. (GUERRERO NEGRO, B.C.S.).
01615-1570610 01800-8309531
denuncia.40zm@mail.sedena.gob.mx
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 10:20 AM

Good question.

Hand -wringing has some value, but it would be interesting to see what might happen with an "official" follow-up to one or more complaints to the authorities.

Don't believe everything you think....
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 04:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Here is the contact information for Guerrero Negro.
40/a. ZONA MILITAR.
CUARTEL GENERAL 40/a. Z.M. (GUERRERO NEGRO, B.C.S.).
01615-1570610 01800-8309531
denuncia.40zm@mail.sedena.gob.mx

There's a lot of complaining here about that retén and allegations that it's being permitted by the institution: Has anyone here actually reported abuses to the competent authorities?

Has anyone ever got a personal reply from these email boxes or seen any response to a denuncia to sedena? You receive a auto-reply saying this email reply and a case serves as a reference to your complaint and nothing happens.

[Edited on 10-15-2018 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 05:20 AM

Side note - there are two separate reports of Mexican military marines allegedly being drunk, getting into fights in public Domingo familiar and finally being arrested this Sunday, 10 in Cancun, and 1 in La Paz who got into a fight with a peaceful, calm member of the public and somehow also involved a municipal police who had his gun taken by the military allegedly.

It was only because the public recorded the bad behavior and reported it and persisted to charge the marines that the municipal police and military were required to intervene to put an end to the behavior.

http://regeneracion.mx/detienen-a-10-militares-borrachos-alt...

https://www.facebook.com/843404809110276/photos/a.8435989524...

https://www.facebook.com/843404809110276/videos/203939698286...

https://www.facebook.com/NoticiasLPZ/videos/1630432073729694...

These are examples of a trend in Mexico of Civic public participation in trying to maintain order, among disorder of marines and municipal police, pressing civic charges using video recording to charge marines and police for bad behavior in public.

All in all this is what keeping order looks like. Stand up for yourself and defend yourself against aggression of military and police.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Side note - there are two separate reports of Mexican military marines allegedly being drunk, getting into fights in public Domingo familiar and finally being arrested this Sunday, 10 in Cancun, and 1 in La Paz who got into a fight with a peaceful, calm member of the public and somehow also involved a municipal police who had his gun taken by the military allegedly.

It was only because the public recorded the bad behavior and reported it and persisted to charge the marines that the municipal police and military were required to intervene to put an end to the behavior.

http://regeneracion.mx/detienen-a-10-militares-borrachos-alt...

https://www.facebook.com/843404809110276/photos/a.8435989524...

https://www.facebook.com/843404809110276/videos/203939698286...

https://www.facebook.com/NoticiasLPZ/videos/1630432073729694...

These are examples of a trend in Mexico of Civic public participation in trying to maintain order, among disorder of marines and municipal police, pressing civic charges using video recording to charge marines and police for bad behavior in public.

All in all this is what keeping order looks like. Stand up for yourself and defend yourself against aggression of military and police.

Gnukid--------with all due respect, what you appear to be saying in your last paragraph above is very dangerous advice. In any dealings with either Military or Police personnel, you are at a significant disadvantage as the "power" rests with the authorities, and not you. Challenging authority directly eyeball to eyeball often results in very bad consequences for yourself unless handled very delicately. Having said that, I totally agree that any problems with any authority-figures should be documented and reported aggressively AFTER the incident, and pursue it as best you are able with the relevant offices that are appropriate.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

So, you gonna tell someone with a loaded M4 how to behave?

John
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 01:20 PM

To the point of this thread, my experience with this military stop is consistent with many others, they are demanding and inappropriately aggressive. I often give them something but realize gifts only makes the problem worse.

As to civilians standing up for themselves against corrupt military and police, do whatever you are comfortable with. Obviously many Nomads have no knowledge of the law, can't speak Spanish, can't work a camera or cell phone and are out of their element defending themselves.

There is a strong civic movement to know the law and stand up for yourself, while insisting military and police respect boundaries, don't touch you or threaten you or your personal property in anyway and they must behave in a professional respectful manner to ensure safety.

Many military and police have the lest education, often less than 6th grade, have little to no knowledge of the laws and are implicitly involved in corrupt behavior as evidenced by experience and video captures. Reporting it to the same entity will not help, you must file a denuncia in front of a separate judge or legal ombudsmen advocate and provide evidence through multiple captures of video.

Sunday, was a huge embarrassment for the Mexican Marines though not unlike many other days. There is no reason to give in to corruption, there is huge benefit to Mexican society to insist firmly and politely on justice and fairness and that's what is happening as a huge movement across Mexico known as Mexico civico justicia.

Mexico has a huge problem with corruption and it won't go away on it's own, this requires that each person be responsible to know the laws, follow them and insist the laws be followed by others including military and police who have a record of corruption. the population of Mexico has no more patience for the number of people going missing daily and suffering the costs of corruption run by Marines and Police.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.