Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: More problems at San Ignacio Checkoint
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-16-2018 at 10:23 PM

I know you don't like "Talk Baja" but here is a really incident of today in San Ignacio:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/237867704...

Harald Pietschmann
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I know you don't like "Talk Baja" but here is a really incident of today in San Ignacio:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/237867704...
Thanks for the link Harald. I saw the FB post yesterday and was going to post it here today.

Evan's experience is by far the worst I've heard of yet - it seems to get just worse and worse there at the SI checkpoint.

I've met Evan and he seems to be a "normal' rational person - I say that given his almost unbelievable story of major trauma at SI checkpoint.

I'm planning to drive through there early next week with friends hauling tons of stuff down for their new casa. Needless to say we are concerned and frankly terrified of passing through the SI "gaunlet".

Meantime, we'll be monitoring this thread closely for any updates.

Good luck to all headed that way.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:56 AM

For what it's worth, my odd encounter at the San Ignacio checkpoint (claiming the plant debris on my floormat was marijuana) was in July 2015. It was the one and only time that they were hostile to our answers and actually seemed like an attempt to put something on us. Yes, it was traumatic and we think it would ruin any newbie from wanting to go back to Baja.

However, I crossed through that checkpoint 6 times last year (2017) and did not have one personal bad exchange. It does sound like it is maybe one officer who is the problem and causing this problem when he is on duty?

When the guy was hassling us and using his cigarette lighter to ignite the little plant debris off my floormat, the other soldiers looked embarrassed. For what it is worth, when this happened to us, Obama was president (there are a lot of posts trying to say this is in retaliation to Trump being a strong president).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 09:18 AM
Secretary of Tourism - Baja Sur

Secretaría de Turismo de Baja California Sur
Departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Sr. Adolfo Gonzalez Garcia
Jefe del departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Phone: 01 (612) 124 - 0100 to 03
Fax: 01 (612) 124 - 0722

E-mail: turismo@gbcs.gob.mx

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Km 51/2 Carretera al Norte Edificio Fidepa2
Apartado Postal # 419 CP. 23090

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 09:19 AM
Secretary of Tourism - Mexico

https://www.gob.mx/sectur/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 09:52 AM
Secretary of Defense (SEDENA)

Teléfono: (01) 5521228800
Atención a la ciudadanía: (01) 55578971, (01) 55573707 y (01) 800 832 7542

Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional
atn.ciudadana@sedena.gob.mx
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 10:13 AM

It sounds like a very weird story, but I do have a few questions.

Did the Mexican soldiers, also do a cavity search, because there are different degrees of intrusive searches?

Why was Evan, carrying $3000 dollars in Baja? It doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do.

How did the Mexican soldiers, know he didn't have a woman, since Evan, is hinting he is well endowed, and the soldiers are very impressed?

The last quote, really has me wondering about this story.

Evan wrote: " Another soldier then told my other friend (the man) to follow him to a side building where he demanded that he empty his pockets and then pull his shorts and underwear down, which he did. I was dumfounded and outraged. Never having seen this kind of severe search at a military check point."

"The soldier told me to pull off to the side of the road and 2 soldiers and one federal policeman started taking everything out of my van and laying it in the dirt. One soldier found my cash and told me it looked suspicious to have that much money. It was about $3000 USD. I demanded that the soldier put my money back into the suitcase, and he finally did."
______

"The soldier then demanded I follow him to a side room and demanded that I empty my pockets and drop my shorts and underwear. Which I did out of fear. There were 5 other soldiers in the room standing around."
_________

"The last words from the soldier who demanded I drop my pants was “Why don’t you have a woman?”
_____

it’s just plain wrong and stupid. Is it really worth the humiliation and fear to see if I’m carrying something illegal under my shorts? How incredibly stupid. I have been on the fence for the last year about returning to baja, wanting to try someplace new. I think that this episode just helped me make up my mind. Next winter I will take my USD elsewhere.

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Why was Evan, carrying $3000 dollars in Baja? It doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do.
Evan had the USD to pay his rent in Baja. For some reason, he removed this text from his original post: "My mexican landlord prefers to be paid in USD."

I also carry USD to pay my casita rent - Mexicans obviously prefer to be paid in USD.

Yes, I can get USD at a bank or possibly an ATM in Mexico but that can be a hassle and the exchange rate can be poor - I'd rather not deal with it.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
[Evan had the USD to pay his rent in Baja. For some reason, he removed this text from his original post: "My mexican landlord prefers to be paid in USD."

I also carry USD to pay my casita rent - Mexicans obviously prefer to be paid in USD.

Yes, I can get USD at a bank or possibly an ATM in Mexico but that can be a hassle and the exchange rate can be poor - I'd rather not deal with it.

I realize some Mexican landlords, require rent payments in US Dollars, but the typical rent in Baja, is not $3000 dollars, it's about $300 to $400 dollars, on average depending on a few factors like location.

The currency exchanges at ATM's are very favorable, the only problem are sometimes the bank fees, but having something like a Charles Schwab, ATM card, you can get ATM rebates.

It's always very suspect when an OP starts editing his post.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 11:51 AM

interesting how our friends over at Talk Baja deal with difficult posts - the post about military harassment has been removed. With it all the links about where to complain and where to find help
https://web.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/237867704...

Harald Pietschmann
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 11:55 AM

I realize some Mexican landlords, require rent payments in US Dollars, but the typical rent in Baja, is not $3000 dollars, it's about $300 to $400 dollars, on average depending on a few factors like location.

The currency exchanges at ATM's are very favorable, the only problem are sometimes the bank fees, but having something like a Charles Schwab, ATM card, you can get ATM rebates.

It's always very suspect when an OP starts editing his post.
Duh!! No not many pay $3,000usd per month for la renta. $3,000 is for the entire winter season 4-5 months. I do the same and need to carry even more.

Re the ATM - agreed when getting pesos. But getting USD I've only done it once (several years ago) and the rate and fees were awful.

I have a Schwab account so yes all fees are refunded at the end of each month.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 12:35 PM

Not according to Ron, over at "Talk Baja" Facebook, some members like 4x4abc, were accusing Ron, or some other moderator, of deleting Evan's post about him and his friends, being strip searched, and harassed by the Mexican military, at the check point.

But Ron, said, for whatever reason, Evan, the OP, deleted his own post, and that's the only reason why the post is not there anymore.

It looks like Talk Baja, members were talking to Evan, in private messages, and telling him to report the incident, but instead Evan just deleted his post.

And Ron, even asked some of those members who were talking to Evan, to ask him why he deleted his post, but so far no answer.

Later I will give my opinion why he deleted his post.

BTW not one member questioned any part of Evan's alleged incident, and in fact seem to believe it even more. One member was so outraged, they were to to report the alleged incident for Evan! ( you must report it yourself)

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
interesting how our friends over at Talk Baja deal with difficult posts - the post about military harassment has been removed. With it all the links about where to complain and where to find help
https://web.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/237867704...

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:02 PM

Not according to Ron, over at "Talk Baja" Facebook, some members like 4x4abc, were accusing Ron, or some other moderator, of deleting Evan's post about him and his friends, being strip searched, and harassed by the Mexican military, at the check point.

But Ron, said, for whatever reason, Evan, the OP, deleted his own post, and that's the only reason why the post is not there anymore.

Later I will give my opinion why he deleted his post.

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

get ready folks.........this is gonna be a blockbuster! :rolleyes:
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

get ready folks.........this is gonna be a blockbuster! :rolleyes:

Evan wrote: " "The last words from the soldier who demanded I drop my pants was “Why don’t you have a woman?” _____

Rule number #1.

Anytime some guy is telling or implying to other guys, and women, that he has a big penis, chances are he really suffers from a few shortcomings, and self esteem issues.

How is that for a big blockbuster, Willardguy?

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Duh!! No not many pay $3,000usd per month for la renta. $3,000 is for the entire winter season 4-5 months. I do the same and need to carry even more.

Re the ATM - agreed when getting pesos. But getting USD I've only done it once (several years ago) and the rate and fees were awful.

I have a Schwab account so yes all fees are refunded at the end of each month.

Really, you pay four to five months in advance for a rental?

That's sometimes illegal in the US in some states, but I'm not sure in Mexico, but it's not something I would never do, because of all the possible problems you could encounter, especially since it's only a rental and due diligence is not something most renters would do.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:48 PM

It looks like 4x4abc, and possibly more members of other sites owe Ron, at "Talk Baja" an apology, for accusing Ron, or other "Talk Baja" moderators, of allegations of deleting Evan's post, about being allegedly harassed and made to pull down their pants at the San Ignacio checkpoint.

I agree with Ron, and Ron, should now say, because the OP Evan, pulled his post, that it should now be suspect of being not true, especially since the members were pressuring him to report it to authorities, but instead Evan, pulled the post, picked up his marbles and went home. ( nobody was asking Evan tough questions on TB)

Again, not everything you read on the internet is true, no matter how badly you want to believe it.

This is getting old...

Another thread involving strong allegations made about alarming behavior by military personnel / police at the San Ignacio checkpoint has been deleted by the member who originally posted the allegations.

This is now the 3rd thread that has been pulled by the OP recently and I am getting tired of having to answer comments and PM's asking why "we deleted the thread" when in fact we did no such thing.

The only thread that we removed was a few months ago where someone posted a story they "had heard" that included no names. date or link to corroborate the story origin but at the same time we asked for those involved to come forward and share their story first hand.

They did exactly that a few days later only to later delete their thread. That was followed by another that did exactly the same thing and now this most recent thread of report of abuse at San Ignacio was pulled, apparently earlier today.

I have no idea why this is happening other than perhaps they might feel that they are being questioned too harshly. If that is the case, please let me know.

What really pi**es me off is that as soon as that happens, some member here goes running to other groups and pages claiming that the Talk Baja admins don't want to hear any negative news and are deleting the threads.

That is simply not true and I am really getting tired of answering these questions over and over.

If you personally have been on the receiving end of abuse at the hands of the authorities here anywhere on the peninsula, please give a complete and factual report here but leave the thread up.

If you feel that someone is being harsh with their questions or comments, please let me know and I will take appropriate action but please leave your report up for everyone to be able to have a chance to learn from what you went through and also learn how to deal with it and respond.

I and others here are sharing these threads with the authorities here to help get action but when you delete your post, the story and allegations disappear and it makes it harder to get their attention again later.

Thank you

[Edited on 10-19-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 09:14 PM

You are a fool to file a complaint against the military, it is a total waste of your time. It is obvious that the command does not care, as the military thieving has been going on at checkpoints for years.
I suspect that assignment to checkpoints is a reward to soldiers, as it is basically a kick back job with a key perk: license to steal with no risk of punishment :(

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 09:19 PM

:lol: the dynamic duo.......
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-19-2018 at 08:50 AM

More fallout yesterday, from Evan's post, on "Talk Baja" where Evan the OP, alleged an incredible story at the San Ignacio Checkpoint, where Evan, reported, the Mexican military, stops him and his group, searched the vehicles, and then, made Evan,'s friend pull down his pants and underwear, and the Mexican military, about 5 guys, made Evan, also pull down his pants and underwear, and one of the Mexicans made a comment to Evan, asking ...WHY HE WASN'T MARRIED?

My question remains is how did the Mexican military know the OP Evan was not married?

Well, I'm shocked, just shocked, that Ron, is saying the original post from the OP is perhaps exaggerated or completely fabricated!

I thought I was the only one who thought like that, because nobody on "Talk Baja" is questioning the truthfulness of the post, now the OP has pulled it.

I always laugh how members want to personally report second hand stories to the authorities, like Ralph, in the post below. It's the job of the OP to report their own incidents to the authorities, if their story is true. It's not the job of members to go down to the check points, waving a copy of a second hand report, and then make outrageous allegations, unless they want to be laughed at.

Somehow I doubt Ron, will re-post the story from Evan, although I'm sure he can, because other members copied the story, and even I copied the highlights and the first name Evan, and with just the first name, Ron, could probably trace the guy down on his Facebook site, and asked him why he pulled the story.

So far this makes two recent alleged incidents at the check point, on Talk Baja, where some member reported some over-the-top story, and then pulled their post and disappeared.

Not everything you read on the internet is true, no matter how badly you want to believe it.

Ron wrote: There were plenty of members who shared similar stories which corroborated the OP. When you simply delete your thread and run, it appears that perhaps your allegations were exaggerated or even completely fabricated. It certainly does nothing to support their credibility. Also all of the good comments, advice and information gets deleted as well.

Ron wrote: If you have screen captures showing the actual thread with the member who originally posted the story, send it to me and I will repost it.
_________

Ralph wrote: Kathleen Flick I took that original thread to Guerrero Negro in print. But when they could not find it, I lost all credibility...It was like it did not exist as far they were concerned. I am with Ron on this one. If people can legitimately complain, they can certainly ignore any comments they do not like.

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2018 at 09:36 AM

Really, you pay four to five months in advance for a rental?
No, of course not!

I take down all the cash needed to pay 5 months rent - and then pay monthly from my cash "hoard".

I do not want to deal with obtaining usd in Mexico and get burned on exchange rates and/or fees.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.