Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Immigration Stop
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 07:48 PM
Immigration Stop

Just drove from Loreto to San Quintin today, there was an immigration check point just south of Santa Rosalia near the Prison( thought that was an interesting place to have it). The agent asked for our immigration papers ( visas) and passports. My wife and I have a Residente Permanente card, and US passports of course. My guess is if anyone did not have proper immigration papers, would have to go to the Immigration Office in Santa Rosalia and take care of it including a fine!

Just thought I would post a heads up thread.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
Just drove from Loreto to San Quintin today, there was an immigration check point just south of Santa Rosalia near the Prison( thought that was an interesting place to have it). The agent asked for our immigration papers ( visas) and passports. My wife and I have a Residente Permanente card, and US passports of course. My guess is if anyone did not have proper immigration papers, would have to go to the Immigration Office in Santa Rosalia and take care of it including a fine!

Just thought I would post a heads up thread.

So, what kind of plate was on your vehicle? Mexican or US license plate?

I am still hearing second/third hand reports that Permanent Residents can only drive Mexican plated vehicles and there may be issues with PR's driving vehicles with US plates.

Or, this is not an immigration issue and is only a Federal Police issue and IMM doesn't care. (Not their job)?
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  
Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  

So, what kind of plate was on your vehicle? Mexican or US license plate?

I am still hearing second/third hand reports that Permanent Residents can only drive Mexican plated vehicles and there may be issues with PR's driving vehicles with US plates.

Or, this is not an immigration issue and is only a Federal Police issue and IMM doesn't care. (Not their job)?

IMM has no interest or authorization to handle licensing issues. And please let's not go here again. We're gonna get the editor of Baja Insider on here again telling us that our cars are going to get impounded. Lots of hand-wringing etc. etc. Drop it. Please.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 09:55 AM

Hopefully, INM will step up enforcement and start deporting those without the proper immigration status (FMM's or residente)

Federal Police in Ensenada a couple of weeks ago were stopping US plated vehicles being driven by nationals, and towing several vehicles.....looking for chocolates illegally in country or not imported properly
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Hopefully, INM will step up enforcement and start deporting those without the proper immigration status (FMM's or residente)

Federal Police in Ensenada a couple of weeks ago were stopping US plated vehicles being driven by nationals, and towing several vehicles.....looking for chocolates illegally in country or not imported properly

Hoooo Boy! I'm sorry, I know you think you are trying to help but the system is fine. No one is being harmed. Mexico is not the US or Canada. Worry about your own country and leave Mexico alone. It does not need your help. Please!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:09 AM

The difference between your opinion and chocolate cake is I asked for the chocolate cake

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  

Hoooo Boy! I'm sorry, I know you think you are trying to help but the system is fine. No one is being harmed. Mexico is not the US or Canada. Worry about your own country and leave Mexico alone. It does not need your help. Please!
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:13 AM

My rant continues with topic #2. Encouraging the police to harass poor Mexicans from driving illegally plated cars is stupid. These people are POOR! Generally speaking, the police leave them alone lest they prevent them from going to work. Once again, the system is fine. It does not need our help. This is not the US.

[Edited on 10-5-2018 by weebray]

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:18 AM

The difference between your opinion and chocolate cake is I asked for the chocolate cake

Very clever, ha ha ha. BTW I was not talking to you or anyone else that already knows what is best for Mexico. That would be a waste of time.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:25 AM

:lol:..how do spot a gringo? we're the only one's with current registration and tags. at least in my neck of the woods the locals I know have whatever license plates happen to be on the car when they bought it, end of story. if by chance the local policia pulls em over its 200 pesos, done.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 12:01 PM

This is a checkpoint that has been on and off since May. The checkpoint is being manned by the immigration officers from the office in Santa Rosalia. They got their orders from Mexico City. It is to make sure that people traveling south have proper immigration papers. FMM, Residente Temporal, or Residente Permanente. A friend was stopped and could not find his papers and went to the office in Santa Rosalia and they issued him a letter which gave him enough time to get out of Mexico. I know he had the FMM and they were able to verify that on computer. Just make sure you are legal and everything goes smoothly.
PamelaP

Mood: Better in Baja! With wine of course!

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 12:30 PM

It is our understanding that is the Mexican National who can not drive US plated vehicles, this after reading, re-reading and email conversation with our local consulate. We, even with Residente Permanente can drive our US plated vehicles. I believe it is correct that we should all have current documentation (Period). It is their country for us to enjoy, follow the rules and have fun!

Is there wine?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 01:40 PM

You are correct, if you have a Mexican Driver's license, you can not legally drive a US Plated Car. I have a friend who has ONAPAFFA drivers License and he is OK for US plates. In Baja and Baja California Our, Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal are ok with US plated cars.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 06:00 PM

My vehicle is California registered. Not aware of any issue regarding the immigration status and driving a vehicle. This is the first time in many years of driving in Baja having any immigration check since they were checking at Guerrero Negro. We were driving North at this check point.
chumlee57
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 09:37 PM

back in the day, they indeed checked your documents out ( early 80's ) it seems going south has always been a little easier , as far as full vehicle inspections, than going north. Obvious reasons. It's becoming a smaller world, keep up to speed with all the new requirements and abide by them, it's easy and not to difficult. Safe travels
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chumlee57  
back in the day, they indeed checked your documents out ( early 80's ) it seems going south has always been a little easier , as far as full vehicle inspections, than going north. Obvious reasons. It's becoming a smaller world, keep up to speed with all the new requirements and abide by them, it's easy and not to difficult. Safe travels

I will agree that being completely legal is a righteous goal. But the wonderful thing about Mexico is the flexibility of the system. Normally stuff can be worked out satisfactorily.

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 01:22 PM

So Weebrey, are you suggesting that being legal is just a goal, or something you SHOULD do, which is not difficult.

Or are you just saying that its Mexico and not really a requirement which is exactly why the road and other basic govt services are not as good as they could be because you and others like you are to cheap to pay for the basic requirements to come down here and PARTY DUDE, its Mexico . Sorry if I am wrong...that statement just caught a nerve.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 07:40 AM

I guess Carlie you don't know Mexico. Did you know if a Mexican woman drives a Calif plated car they let them go. Also once a Mexican gets pulled out in the check point and they pay a small amount. The fed gives him a code that lasts for a month. Everytime he goes past the check point. So lighten up this is not the states. Don't let your nerves get to you.

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
So Weebrey, are you suggesting that being legal is just a goal, or something you SHOULD do, which is not difficult.

Or are you just saying that its Mexico and not really a requirement which is exactly why the road and other basic govt services are not as good as they could be because you and others like you are to cheap to pay for the basic requirements to come down here and PARTY DUDE, its Mexico . Sorry if I am wrong...that statement just caught a nerve.

Geez, I did not mean for you to get your back up. I think you are reading too much in my post. My point? Just that when you cross the border you can sit back, crack open a brownback, and relax a bit. And no I'm not suggesting you drive drunk or be an a-hole. Just relax a bit. If something happens normally the Mexican system has a little "wiggle room" built in and things can be worked out.

[Edited on 10-8-2018 by weebray]

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PamelaP  
It is our understanding that is the Mexican National who can not drive US plated vehicles, this after reading, re-reading and email conversation with our local consulate. We, even with Residente Permanente can drive our US plated vehicles. I believe it is correct that we should all have current documentation (Period). It is their country for us to enjoy, follow the rules and have fun!

As a permanent resident you have the qualities, benefits and responsibilities of a Mexican citizen except the right to vote. To suggest that it is "their" country suggests you want the benefits with out the obligations.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 12:11 PM

On this subject of driving, it has always been my understanding a Mexican National cannot drive a US vehicle unless he or she has a US drivers license. However there always seems to be some variance in how the laws are presented. For example, I drive from our place in Loreto to our place in Lopez Mateos. Couple years ago I had a Mexican helper drive my US plated vehicle from Loreto to Lopez with building supplies, and we were stopped by the local police in Insurgentes. They wrote up the citation for my Mexican helper having a expired Mexican drivers license, never said anything about the US plate.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.