Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cabo eating- real food, not chain store stuff
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:17 AM
Cabo eating- real food, not chain store stuff

Going to Cabo next week
(Still trying to figure out how I got talked into a Cabo hotel week, when camping out at Catavina or Punta Falsa is more my style)
Anyway, the hotel offered a "full week meal package" of 'only'
$1200..... I hung up before I figured out whether that was for one of for two.
My idea of good Baja food is fish tacos from China in LABay, or carnitas wrap at El Recreo in Maneadero.
So, who has decent foody suggestions for Cabo?

And please don't make fun of me for falling back into the CaboWabo trap.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Going to Cabo next week
(Still trying to figure out how I got talked into a Cabo hotel week, when camping out at Catavina or Punta Falsa is more my style)
My idea of good Baja food is fish tacos from China in LABay, or carnitas wrap at El Recreo in Maneadero.

You may want to try my approach. I see a bunch of locals eating somewhere, I check the cleanliness of the cooking area, I check to see that the person handling the $ is not preparing the food (or wears gloves). I try it out. This has worked for me all over the world for many decades.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:34 AM
Chain store food?

Were you thinking of getting a Costco chicken and taking it back to your room? I bought one the last time I was in Cabo, just for comparison to the northern version.

It was smaller than the chickens I am used to, under seasoned, over cooked, and about two dollars more than the US product! The local asadaderos have them beat hands down. Hope this isn't too far off topic.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:57 AM

different strokes....I love the cabo wabo trap! I'd live there but just can't handle the summer heat......SALUD :yes:
bajagregg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 03:58 PM

Lots of good places to eat in the Los Cabos area. If you are staying in the San Jose Del Cabo area, check out Carnitas Michoacán for lunch and Las Guacamayas for dinner. Both are located in the Chamizal neighborhood.

Traveling Baja for 50 years.
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 04:48 PM

http://trapperscabolist.com/best_of.html is a good place to start if you are in Cabo San Lucas.

Gardenia's for cheap sit-down meals.

Maria Corona for someplace nice.

Sleepless Lobster for breakfast.

El Pollo de Oro has good take-out chicken and ribs.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 07:16 PM

Going to Cabo next week

Used to be a good ta ta bar in older part of town, some back street, don’t really remember where. It had great food and drinks, and really cheap lap dances.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 07:29 AM

El Peregrino...get the Vacio steak!! Can't go wrong with the ribs. Yes, the foodie tourist have found it but if you go after the gringo dinner rush it is locals...and local prices.

Restaurant Campestre...up by the Delagation/Red Cross. We will go here before going to Gardenias. Mostly local mixed with a few gringos that "live" in CSL. Gardenias is OK, but Campestre is much better...IMHO!!

Garage Door Tacos...not the real name but it is what we call it. It is on the same "up" road going to the Mar y Cortez Hotel. Actually on the same block but at the beginning of the block. After dark the taxi drivers eat here. We call it the Garage Door Taco place because when it is closed...they pull door a garage door!! Next door is a small bar so get some tacos then go next door for a cold cervesza!!

El Pollo de Oro...real local but cheap.

El Huarrachazo...only have eaten breakfast here... all locals and good.

Sunset Mona Lisa...upstairs, not the down stair fancy restaurant!! You can get a good thin pizza and other good appetizers. This is tourist place but good for a pretty sunset of CSL bay. Get there at least 30 minutes before sunset.

So many others places...honestly we hardly even go out to the tourist places unless we have an out of town guest that really wants to go to a certain place.

Have fun...we do!!!
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 08:04 AM

Clean? Locals flock there? Family friendly? Awesome parking? Great view of the ocean, arches, and leaping whales? Giant 4-cheese pizza with all you can eat pickled jalapeños dispensed by the jalapeño gun with 2 frozen mango smoothies all for under $20 USD?

Sorry - COSTCO.

No shame in need going to Cabo...the area as good as the rest Baja if you get out of the city centres.

[Edited on 10-6-2018 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Clean? Locals flock there? Family friendly? Awesome parking? Great view of the ocean, arches, and leaping whales? Giant 4-cheese pizza with all you can eat pickled jalapeños dispensed by the jalapeño gun with 2 frozen mango smoothies all for under $20 USD?

Sorry - COSTCO.

No shame in need going to Cabo...the area as good as the rest Baja if you get out of the city centres.

[Edited on 10-6-2018 by windgrrl]

Windgirl...we think alike however we have been know to take a little vodka or tequila to put in the frozen mango drink...mmm good!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-6-2018 at 09:29 AM
Sorry Goat, I don't want to run into your family there

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Going to Cabo next week

Used to be a good ta ta bar in older part of town, some back street, don’t really remember where. It had great food and drinks, and really cheap lap dances.

Thanks to everyone else for the helpful comments
And no, Goat, I don't think my wife is interested in watching your family members working in this place.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.