Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Car insurance for driving into Mexico
LAKingsFan

Mood: Cazadores y un puro!

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 12:29 PM
Car insurance for driving into Mexico

What insurance company would you recommend for a trip down Baja way? Is it worth joining BajaBound or DiscoverBaja or Vagabundos or one of those clubs?

Thanks!
Chris
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 12:38 PM

I always use Baja bound, I don't remember having to join to get insurance? They have good prices and I've only read good things about them.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 12:45 PM

Because I drive a low value vehicle, and like the freedom of heading south with little planning, I have an annual policy with Bajabound.

It covers liability only, but is far less than buying a couple of short term policies over a years time. There is no membership requirement.

Edit; The policy I bought is a driver's license policy, which covers me no matter which car I drive. I only have myself insured, but I am pretty sure more than one person can be on the policy.

[Edited on 10-13-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 12:50 PM

As mentioned, bajabound is not a pay to join club,
you have to toss numbers around, some of the $
depends on the amount of liability you feel comfortable
with, starts with some at $50k to $500k, I've always
debated with myself over that amount

Kell-Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 01:51 PM

www.mexinsurancepro.com Easy, fast, and online
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 01:52 PM

Baja Bound and Discover Baja both sell high-quality Mexican insurance, annual or by the day, full coverage or just liability. Both are headquartered in San Diego.

Discover Baja is a club (has nice discounts at businesses in Baja and a full Baja bookstore, they sell to non-members, too). Baja Bound is not a club, nothing to join. You can buy from either, online, and print the policy out before you leave home.

I have used both and have received great personal service from both. I do currently write the Baja Travel Adventure articles for Baja Bound's online newsletter: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/
Baja Fever & Baja Legends author Greg Niemann ('GregN' here on Nomad) is also an article writer for Baja Bound.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 01:52 PM

I have to run down this Saturday/Sunday for a dental appt. I used Lewis and Lewis. Under $20 for a 24 hour policy with full coverage.

John
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 08:25 PM

They all sell the same 3-4 Mex policies and are priced similarly (Lewis too). When you buy from places that don't require membership, they either add "processing fee", or their plans are priced accordingly from the beginning, to include this. In the end you will pay roughly same money for the same package, no matter what.

What matters is the type/amount of coverage that you're buying, all of them will give you some choice in this matter. On quote pages for DiscBaja or BaBound pay attention to green tabs/sliders, you can change the options/amounts and the premiums will change.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 09:06 PM

DB sells a “any 90 days in Baja” yearly policy with many options. We been locked in to this for many renewals now! YMMV

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2018 at 11:43 PM

For trip exactly "down Baja way", i.e. getting in and then getting out, it may be cheaper to buy split coverage. Few days for going in, few days for going back North. In between it will be sitting on the camp while you are enjoying the beach.

Under 1 month you are stuck with expensive daily rates.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 08:25 AM

I've used a couple different ones. Lewis and Lewis is another option (used them the last two times (based solely on value)): https://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/

You gonna eat that?
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
DB sells a “any 90 days in Baja” yearly policy with many options. We been locked in to this for many renewals now! YMMV

Me 2
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 02:11 PM

Try as I might, never could see the 90 day policy, I always
thought it left some holes, if push came to shove, where one would have to prove
one was in Mex 90 days a yr. or less per yr., while holding
a 180 day fmm, but I'm a skeptic.
I know fmm's are not regularly part of providing Ins info
in the event of an accident, nor spparently does having a valid
fmm effect one's Mex Insurance

[Edited on 10-8-2018 by sancho]

LAKingsFan

Mood: Cazadores y un puro!

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
They all sell the same 3-4 Mex policies and are priced similarly (Lewis too). When you buy from places that don't require membership, they either add "processing fee", or their plans are priced accordingly from the beginning, to include this. In the end you will pay roughly same money for the same package, no matter what.

So would I be correct in thinking that if I either pay a membership fee or a processing fee and it all ends up about the same, going with a membership makes sense because of the other benefits that (I assume) come with it?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 03:20 PM

I wanted to come down and get my Jeep so a friend offered to bring me down.He had just bought a new car so we stopped at Tecate border and purchased full coverage ins. for his new car I was impressed with the service and the PRICE WAS FAIR 22 Dls.. FOR 24Hrs.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 04:01 PM

Most of the folks I know just have MX liability. That provides you with the get out of jail deal in case of an accident.
When the eventual accident occurs just drive or trailer the car back to the states and have your US insurance fix it. Works just fine. Does not really matter who your Mx carrier is because you don't want the car fixed in Mexico anyway.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 04:15 PM

We have only Mex liability. But we opt for the driver's license policy that covers us no matter what vehicle we drive. Quite a bit cheaper than simply insuring one car. But we are in Mexico for months at a time. There are occasions where we drive others vehicles.

I gotta find some friends who can hold their liquor....................
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

When the eventual accident occurs just drive or trailer the car back to the states and have your US insurance fix it. Works just fine. Does not really matter who your Mx carrier is because you don't want the car fixed in Mexico anyway.

That is a fair point re: getting a vehicle fixed in Mex, not
sure one would want that, I suppose some minor repairs
would be possible. Many
Mex Full coverage policies do state repairs can
be done in the US, but some of the $ per hr. they are willing
to pay in the US are not realistic. Having a vehicle towed to
the border, depending on distance could be $$$, there
never has been an easy answer to Mex Ins

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LAKingsFan  

So would I be correct in thinking that if I either pay a membership fee or a processing fee and it all ends up about the same, going with a membership makes sense because of the other benefits that (I assume) come with it?

Yes, it has been my experience that membership does not make things cheaper, in total. Purchased once car and trailer insurance, then car liability insurance, and on one occasion - so called "driver's license insurance" (liability-only, can use different cars for one year). Could not see savings with membership. Don't recall any other benefits that come with membership - nothing of value, to me. They are talking about benefits like FMM, fishing permits etc - don't hold your breath, you will pay same price that Mex govt is charging everybody, and possibly a little extra.

For liability-only and more than one trip, consider annual driver's license insurance. Places without membership sell it from $130/year, membership clubs - from $90, but membership costs $40... you got the picture.

Like people suggested, shop all 3 providers - BaBo, DiBa and Lewis, play with options/sliders and see what you come up with.

[Edited on 10-14-2018 by Alm]
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2018 at 07:10 PM

I just got a driver's license annual policy from Bajabound HDI company 150k/150k liability/death and 10k/50k passenger medical for about $260.
Hidden in there somewhere are plane tickets home, legal fees, towing reimbursement.
I used to belong to Discover Baja Travel Club, and I love those people, but I never travel through San Diego any more. Check out their collection of Baja books sometime. They offer hotel discounts, newsletter, prepaid FMM, fishing license, all printable online.
As said before, it adds up about the same.

[Edited on 10-14-2018 by vandy]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.