Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja 1000 GPS route?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 05:59 AM
Baja 1000 GPS route?

I have found the 2017 Baja 1000 GPS route on the Score International web site but not the 2018 - has it been released yet?

John M

[Edited on 10-8-2018 by John M]
Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:02 AM

I haven't found a GPS course map. I only found this general map, which you may have already seen. I scoured the Internet about a week ago and couldn't find anything, so perhaps this was recently posted:
http://score-international.com/raceinfo/course-map-2018-baja...

It looks like the Chapala-Blanca road will be used. But I wonder what they will do about the lake just west of Hwy 1. I've looked at Google maps and can't seem to find any way around it. After Rosa and Sergio, I would imagine there's some water in it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:29 AM

why is it called Chapala-Blanca road?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:38 AM

It reaches the coast just north of Bahia Blanca (Blanco).

The usually dry lake of El Islote (west of Chapala) can be driven around... just not a fast way like on a dry lake bed. Same was true of Laguna Chapala before the highway was built there in 1973.

[Edited on 10-8-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It reaches the coast just north of Bahia Blanca (Blanco).

The usually dry lake of El Islote (west of Chapala) can be driven around... just not a fast way like on a dry lake bed. Same was true of Laguna Chapala before the highway was built there in 1973.

It can be driven around? DO you have photos and GPS/Mileage for this road?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 07:55 AM

All roads around dry lakes have detour tracks... a common thing in Baja. Stuck Sucks or TW may have more as they have traveled that road more than once.

Here it is as traced off a satellite image. I logged both ends of it but that incident at Rancho La Miseria last year prevented my driving it:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Goyo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 09:31 AM

I remember hearing in the mid- to late-'90s that the Chapala-Blanca road (aka KM234) was built for a Baja 1000 back then. Does anyone know if that's true?

Also, I would imagine that if it's the route for the upcoming Baja 1000, they might have created a laguna "go-around" for the course. It will be interesting to view future satellite photos of the region.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 09:42 AM

GPS route isn't released yet. 19th maybe
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 10:09 AM

I don't believe the "Chapala-Blanca" road will be used as the course. Looking at David's map above, it should follow the route to the southeast, past San Antonio and La Miseria.

As ehall noted, the GPS file should be released to coincide with the opening of prerunning on Oct 20.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 10:18 AM

Six or seven years ago I tried to find a way around the lake when it had water in it. I couldn't find one then but it became a well used road since then for the rock haulers for a while so they may have made a road around when the lake was wet. If it becomes a problem SCORE will probably move the race course further south like the 2015 course that SS posted.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 10:22 AM

SCORE tried to use the Chapala-Blanca road for the 2003 race course but the silt beds near the ocean got so bad and with many racers complaining they changed it to turn up to the Hwy north of Catavina and use the Hwy down to Chapala. I pre-ran the original course with Stuart Chase back then and silt wasn't a problem at first.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 05:05 PM

Here's what the Chapala-Pta. Blanca road looks like, west of the lake bed, maybe halfway to the coast. If you head out there, you should be comfortable driving in silt, soft conditions. And then there's a few rocks.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2018 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Six or seven years ago I tried to find a way around the lake when it had water in it. I couldn't find one then but it became a well used road since then for the rock haulers for a while so they may have made a road around when the lake was wet. If it becomes a problem SCORE will probably move the race course further south like the 2015 course that SS posted.

Not to worry David says "All roads around dry lakes have detour tracks." Although I can not see one on his map. Guess we will just have to wait for the GPS map... Bigger question might be what the course looks like closer to Puertecitos...I had assumed they were using the old road...Now, as I understand it, the old road is a detour for all the washouts.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
SCORE tried to use the Chapala-Blanca road for the 2003 race course but the silt beds near the ocean got so bad and with many racers complaining they changed it to turn up to the Hwy north of Catavina and use the Hwy down to Chapala. I pre-ran the original course with Stuart Chase back then and silt wasn't a problem at first.

Yes, this was the race in the film Dust to Glory that came out two years later. I believe 2003 was the first time that road was considered by Score. Just two years earlier, I was exchanging emails about El Islote lake and we did not know of that road, yet. It doesn't appear on any maps I know of (other than mine).

Charlie Nichols

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 08:48 AM

Not a GPS file (as mentioned, that won't be released until later in the month), but SCORE had this posted up at the Off Road Expo a week or so ago....

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachments/2018-baja-1000-pdf.194486/

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 11:56 AM

Just read the race is suspended due to a 500,000 peso fine for damge to environment in last years race. Score will pay the fine and sweep another black eye under the rug.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 12:51 PM

Interesting I wonder where the damage was done and why it is just now coming out. When you have 300 racers plus chase crews and maybe thousands of spectators covering the course things happen that are not totally under SCORES control. Without knowing the details it's hard to say much either way.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 12:53 PM

Pre-running opens Oct 20th so the course notes, GPS files and Google Earth file will be available near the end of next week.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 05:48 PM

This is the article.

Attachment: Baja 1000 suspended and Score International fined US$27,000 - Printable Version (97kB)
This file has been downloaded 250 times

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 06:31 PM
link here

Baja 1000 suspended and Score International fined US$27,000 - Fulano - 10-11-2018
The link in the previous post

Score International was fined more than 500,000 pesos and as a precautionary measure, to guarantee payment, there is a temporary suspension of the Score Baja 1000 race.

The Federal Environmental Protection Agency levied the sanction because in the last offroad race the course went through protected areas of the Valle de los Cirios.

Among the damages caused was the destruction of lophocereus schottii cacti, which are a protected species.

______________________ edited to add:

I went to the website linked in the story "The Fulano Files" - I opened the Baja part - I didn't go into it to read, but the titles of most if not all of the stories put much of Baja in a negative light. So if you like seeing the bad then the The Fulano Files are for you.

[Edited on 10-12-2018 by John M]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.