Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simple question
deportes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 08:04 AM
Simple question

I am planning on taking my ten year old Yorkie female down to Mexico to get fixed, how far into Mexico can I drive legally without anything other than my passport and Allstate insurance. No visa etc. for a couple of days to a week. What dog papers are needed. Thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 08:26 AM

All travel into Mexico is supposed to have a tourist card (FMM), which is not technically a visa. You need your passport to get it. You park at the border crossing and walk into the first building inside Mexico for the INM desk. 7 days is free and 180 days is about US$29.

Call Allstate to see what their coverage is. I believe that liability must be obtained from a Mexican company. BajaBound.com is easy and all online. Your dog needs proof of rabies vaccination and an international health certificate obtained within a week of your trip. Double check on that.

[Edited on 10-9-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 09:22 AM

My US insurance, the collision part full coverage, would cover
me quite a ways into Baja, but as DK points out, there is no US
Ins policy that includes Mex Liability to my knowledge, that must
be purchased separately. While my US policy would pay to fix
the vehicle in case of an incident in Baja, they told me I would
have to pay to get it towed back across the border to the US,
that sounded like a real cluster not to mention $

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 11:58 AM
Doggie papers

We've taken our dog on many trips. We've never been questioned going into Baja. However, it seems that there is some sort of police enforcement action in Tecate if you go that way - my recollection of the issue posted here on NOMAD is the dog needs to be restrained or in some sort of travel crate/kennel and not just loose in the car.

We believe the re-entry to the US requires a health certificate - we got one the first time we took the dog, but in the dozens of times crossing back into the US we've never been asked. Even those few times we were directed to secondary we did not have any questions about the dog.

We do make sure she has all of her shots and we do take the shot record with us.

John M
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 01:02 PM

In 2014, I was asked for proof of vaccination by the US agent at Tecate. I had a health certificate, but he did not want to see it.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 02:09 PM

Just returned about 8 days ago with 6 rescue dogs from San Quintin - they were caged in the back seat of my truck. We had a complete booklet for each pup with all their vaccinations but all they wanted to see at the Tecate crossing was the rabies cert.

[Edited on 10-9-2018 by 55steve]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 06:35 PM

Boy! In Punta Abreojos today, 2 vets are sterilizing females dogs for $350 pesos and male dogs for $200 pesos.

Pretty cool.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.