Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quick Trip Report - now with pics
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 05:22 PM
Quick Trip Report - now with pics

We left the day after Rosa went over Baja.
The roads were very nice with minimal traffic. Never seen so little traffic. Got to the border at San Ysidro at about 6am.
We saw more and more puddles off the road the further we went south, the 'worst' was a Pemex flooded in San Quintin. No issues along the road.
The further we got past El Rosario the fewer puddles we saw.

Just S of Santo Tomas when going up the grade they had the traffic stopped. We waited about 5min and then went through, one way traffic. I think we got lucky and would definitely believe hour long waits while they work and close the road entirely.

The worst part of Rosa was the N side of Catavina where the road is normally washed out, we went through about a foot of water and on we went. The S side of Cavavina had a few inches of water and washed out as always.

We turned off at BOLA and by that point saw no remnants of Rosa.

Never seen the roads that empty, rarely saw cars going either way.

We went into San Borja for a couple days, its a very cool spot! The guy living there/caretaker is great to talk with and has his small cabanas for rent and use. Toilets and shower. We enjoyed it and would definitely go back. The road in was rough but 4x4 not necessary, times going 30mph and times were rocky and slow.

Drove from BOLA down to San Rafael which I don't understand why people go there/like it. From what I saw its a junky fish camp thats trashed the beach and area. San Francisquito looks like it has a ton of potential but for not lots of dwellings in various states of abandonment and disrepair. Rancho Piedras Blancas was a very cool spot the people were very friendly and welcoming. We didn't stay there just saw the place. Then we went out through El Arco to the highway. The entire road is in good condition, most of the time going 45 or so.

The inspection N of San Ignacio was normal for me, they are very strict so I don't engage in conversation. The guy inspecting wanted to buy my flashlight. I told him no, I needed it. That was about it, the normal write down name and year of vehicle....blah blah.

Stayed at La Huerta, restaurant was closed. That hotel is fine but we like Desert Inn better. Dinner next to the mission at El Rancho Grande, it was good, nothing special though. Had breakfast at Desert Inn, which is always great!

Went up to San Jose Magdalena just south of Santa Rosalia. Had never been up there, its a very cool spot! A small river running through the town, nothing all that noteworthy but all in all a pretty place. Glad we went.

Thats all the good stuff along the way. Hwy 1 is in great condition. Areas where the road is rough but for the most part the potholes are not bad.

[Edited on 10-12-2018 by TLBaja79]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 06:41 PM

That was a very nice trip report.

Glad that there were no major issues after Rosa, that was quite a chance you took!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2018 at 07:53 PM

Good report, better with pictures... Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 08:01 AM

Thanks TL, José at Mission San Borja is one of those classic Baja good guys. His kids (before they all grew up and mostly moved on) were fun and nice too. Many years of visits with him. His palapa campground, with flushing toilets and showers, make staying there an easy choice.

Bahia San Rafael is usually beautiful and not always populated by commercial fishermen. The prime attraction was Pancho... a super nice guy and he was the prime reason to visit the place. Now that he has died, it won't be too surprising to see the place get trashed by the fishermen who come there seasonally. The military had been there for a time too. I think all those rooms across from Pancho's house were made by them?

Did the La Huerta restaurant look closed permanently or just the day you were there? Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 05:45 PM

No military at San Rafael when we were there. Just an older guy and his wife driving in while we left. Didn't talk much more than hello

La Huerta restaurant was closed. They told me it's because there aren't enough people in town/staying there. I think we were the only people that ate at Rancho Grande that night. Not many people around.

I'll figure out pics and add them.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 11:45 PM

Thanks, TL! I was afraid that big restaurant would be hard to keep open. Their prices were not high and breakfast was good. For dinner, I walked to the plaza and the cart there for the best carne asada tacos I think I have had! This was in Feb 2017. In August 2017, I had great food at the seafood place across from the gas station.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2018 at 11:51 PM

To post your photos, go to www.postimage.org, click the top drop-down menu to resize the image to 800x600 for full screen on Nomad or 640x480 for normal message board size images. Then load the photo and select the "Hotlink for forums" (third from bottom) clicking the attach button on the right of that link then paste it here on Nomad with your text post... Here is one I just loaded at 640x480:

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 07:16 AM

Here are the pics to go with the story above

The worst flooding we saw was this Pemex in San Quintin. Not too bad, about a foot or so of water in their lot.

The future Hotel/Restaurant?

Here is the worst of what Rosa left along Hwy 1. The N washout was a little more washed out this time, about a foot of water but no issues. The south wash was a little more washed out as well but less water in there, a couple inches. Surveyors were doing their surveying when we drove past.

New Catavina Gas station progress. The store is already open. We decided to keep on goin even though the hotel looked like it was just fine.

These are pics of San Borja Mision. Great drive in, a bit over an hour on a sometimes rough road. No need for 4x4. We went in and out through the BOLA road.
Jose is the caretaker and lives there. He is great to talk with, he has these palapas he rents out. Running water, showers, toilets. He does a good job considering he doesn't get much government help and most of his kids have moved on. The kids come help from time to time. I'd imagine this weekend is pretty fun down there. Feast day of San Francisco, he was expecting about 150-200 people for a 3 day party!

Headed down south from BOLA through San Rafael and out to San Francisquito. Decided to not stay at SF and headed out through El Arco back to Hwy 1

A night in San Ignacio. Ate at El Rancho Grande right in the plaza overlooking the Mision. Cool spot, decent food

Eiffel

Quick stop in Mulege to check out the Mision and get some Tacos. Too bad the mision is closed for visiting. Not sure if it is always closed or just the day we were there.

Stopped to take a dip! Super warm and nice!

We headed up to San Jose de Magdalena, quick drive from the hwy, all paved and nice road. Small little town with a nice river running through it. There was a guy tending his Huerta, we stopped chatted for a bit, we would have stopped at a store or lunch spot but didn't see anything.

And on to Loreto where that part of our trip ends.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 08:33 AM

Thank you for the photos.... Good Job Posting!

Wow, is that Baja Cactus in El Rosario under construction? Amazing amount of work since I was last there (Oct. 2017)!

The Mulegé mission church has always been open when we went by (2017, 2016, 2009, 2007, ...)
Here is the inside:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.