Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: El Rosario Baja-Book Library
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 10:18 AM
El Rosario Baja-Book Library

They know it's going to be a girl? Thanks so much for letting us know - I'm passing through this weekend WITH THE FIRST BOX OF BOOKS FOR THE LIBRARY. If you're in San Diego and want me to take your book donations, let me know.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 05:45 PM

wilderone, post the titles of the books so we will make an effort to not duplicate them, please.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 06:04 PM
Baja Library in El Rosario

That is a good idea Neal...

I have (so far) obtained new copies of three books from their authors, gladly donated for this library at Baja Cactus.

They are:

Las Misiones Antiguas by Ed Vernon

Saints and Demons in a Desert Wilderness by Dave Werschkul

Baja Adventures by Land, Air, Sea by Marvin Patchen

I have a few duplicate books in my library I will be donating as well.

By the way, as of Wed. 5pm I have not heard from Antonio about his new baby girl (yes, the ultra sound was pretty conclussive Wilderone).
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 10:18 AM

There are too many to list here, but I think any duplicates would be welcome. If there are really too many of one title, they can be sold in a "For Sale" section. Baja authors could sell their books at this outlet like a regular book store too. I think that would be a good disposition for accumulated maps too. It would provide a bit of income as well. Among other things, I have prepared a photo album with a few shots of many different places and labeled them accordingly. In the same vein, David, if you have a collection of mission photos, you could prepare a special photo album about the missions. See where this could go?? And I don't have any of the titles you listed above.

I reproduced 4 articles which were in San Diego History booklets in the 70's, rather than donate the entire booklet. I made a color copy of the cover and bound each article in a 3-hole clear cover report folder. There are 2 Spanish/English dictionaries (not real good quality, but this is another item, besides the maps, that could be sold for a couple dollars if there are too many).

Right now, there's a little of everything. I will prepare an initial list for GP (general principle), but after a time (I HOPE), the project will take on an energy of its own and I won't know what's being donated.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 01:14 PM
El Rosario library wilderone & David K

This subjest is sort of buried in this thread and might loose out from viewers. Perhaps it should have a place or be withing the Literature section of the message boards.

I look forward to seeing what is accumulating there and bringing a few along to donate.
John M.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 02:51 PM

Thanks, John. I'll provide a report when I get back (in a week). I hope to take pics, but am a little clueless as to how to post pics.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2005 at 04:04 PM
Adding pictures

Heck I didn't have a clue until a few days ago. Easy as can be.

First, David says the picture needs to be no larger than 50kb - not too hard to make it that size. Then, just at the bottom of the window you are typing in to do a reply is the word "attachment" opposite that is "Browse" - so click browse, find the photo just like you were going to attach it to an email and double click the photo. It will magically appear soon enough! What had me wondering when I tried it is that it took quite a long time for the photo to appear, like thirty seconds or so. Maybe cause the photo was 48 or so kbs.

You ought to try it. John M

[Edited on 3-10-2005 by John M]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 09:08 AM

The Library materials collected so far:

Baja California and the Geography of Hope. Joseph Wood Krutch / Eliot
Porter. 1969. paperback.
Baja California ? Lonely Planet guide
Baja HaHa ? Hoctor
AAA Mexico Travel Book
AAA Baja California - 1987
Cave Paintings of Baja California. Harry W. Crosby (autographed). 1997.
hardcover with dustjacket.
California Desert Wildflowers. Philip A. Munz, Univ Calif Press. 1962.
Fishes of California and Western Mexico. Burgess and Axelrod. 1984.
The Girl of the Sea of Cortez. Peter Benchley. 1982. paperback
Hunting the Desert Whale; Personal Adventures in Baja Calif. Erle Stanley
Gardner. 1960. hardback with dustjacket.
The Log from the Sea of Cortez. John Steinbeck. 1941. paperback.
Rockhounding Articles, misc xerox copies, bound.
Scorpion Man; Exploring the World of Scorpions. Laurence Pringle.1994.
hardback.
The Todos Santos Book. Lee Moore (autographed). 1996. Spiralbound.
Water Quality in the Kumiai Communities of Baja Calif, and Building a Kumeyaay Environmental Strategy. Native cultures
Institute,1996. Spiralbound.

Spanish/English Dictionaries (2)
Sea Shells ? Orbis Books
The Shell Book ? Ronashko
Birds of North America ? Golden Field Guide
Ansel Adams ? a pictorial of the Americas
World Food ? Mexico ? Lonely Planet

Bound articles:
San Diego History ? Winter 89 ? A History of Santa Rosalia in Baja California
San Diego History ? Spring 1976 ? El Camino Real in Baja California
San Diego History ? Winter 1980 ? The Baja California Gold Rush of 1889
San Diego History ? Fall 75 ? Problems of the Serra Route
The Trout of the Sierra San Pedro Martir ? Lower California ? John Snyder

Magazines:
Baja Life magazines, early issues (3)
Saltwater Sportsman
National Geographic (2) ?Incl. 6/87 issue re San Ignacio Gray Whales
American Archaeology
Desert ? 1956
National Geographic Adventure

Maps: Baja, United States, Mexico, California
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-11-2005 at 10:06 AM

Wow!
Wilderone, you da man!:bounce:

My motto:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 02:31 PM
Do we need to leave our first born for library privligeges?

She's really cute! (someone remind me to keep her away from Mr. Johns!)

Sounds like some great reading!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2005 at 07:00 PM

Wilderone... I will nodify Neal's comment and say you're 'da PERSON!

I will be taking the books I have to BajaCactus tonight if I get to visit the new family at the hospital...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 02:33 PM

Last night I brought to Antonio some books for the El Rosario/ Baja Cactus Library from my book collection...

Lower California Guidebook 4th Edition c1967 by Gerhard and Gulick

Offbeat Baja c1977 by Jim Hunter

The Baja Book II c1977 by Tom Miller

The Sea of Cortez c1966 by Ray Cannon

Time of the Bells- When California Began c1961 by Richard Pourade

Sea of Cortez Review c2000 by Jennifer Redmond

I also gave Antonio the following three books donated directly by their authors for the library:

Las Misiones Antiguas, the Spanish Missions of Baja California c2002 by Edward Vernon

Saints and Demons in a Desert Wilderness, A History and Guide to Baja California's Spanish Missions c2003 by Dave Werschkul

Baja Adventures by Land-Air-Sea c1981 by Marvin & Aletha Patchen

I think we have the Baja research library off to a good start!

Antonio plans on making a hospitality room at his motel where guests can meet, plan their explorations, research their trips.

Please consider donating any extra Baja books to the library, you may have... Keep the adventure alive!

[Edited on 10-19-2005 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 08:49 AM

For the Baja Cactus Baja Research Library in El Rosario, I bought a copy of Harry Crosby's 1974 'The King's Highway in Baja California'. If we meet with Antonio this weekend, I will give it to him. Harry autograped it for me last year when I bought his new book on the Camino Real between San Fernando Velicata and San Diego, and the people who came from Baja to San Diego ... 'Gateway to Alta California'.

Folks, if you have a Baja or California history, desert, sea shore book to donate... bring it with you to the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival July 22-24... You are coming, right???:yes:

[Edited on 5-7-2005 by David K]

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 08:51 AM

We were in El Rosario and wanted to donate some of our books to the library but couldnt find anyone who knew anything about it.
If there is a drop off place, please post it so next time we can leave some books.
Gracias

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 09:10 AM

The "Library" collection is in the BajaCactus Motel by the Pemex station for the use of their guests, so drop the books off at the Motel. Thanks!

My motto:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 04:11 PM

Thanks Neal, sure wish we had known that! We stopped at that Pemex(doesnt everyone) twice and went into the hotel looking for Antonio but for some reason I thought that the library was across the street.
Next time!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 07:04 AM

It is a 'future' library that will be in the motel... until that room is made the books will be on display in the lobby or ? But, not until Antonio can make some shelves... Books are not to leave the motel (and 'get lost')... There will be a hospitality room...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 08:36 AM

In the lobby, at Baja Cactus is this model of the future there... On the left note the chimney... that is the roof above the lobby. On each side are the rooms that are already open. The larger building just to the right is the future tourist facility... A convenience store (like an AM/PM), medical station/ doctor's office, laundromat, showers, tourism office... Perhaps the hospitality room/ Baja Research Library will be in the new building eventually.

EL ROSARIO is going to be changing and Baja Cactus Motel and Pemex is leading the way. The nearby Diamante del Mar mega-development/ jet airport is part of the future for this historic village. EL ROSARIO will continue to be the gateway to the vast wilderness of central Baja... But, it very well could be a destination point... with so much to do and see in the area.

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 09:03 PM

The library's a really great idea, but Research Library? That's a bit pretentious.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 09:09 PM

Okay, but if you don't look at the books there for researching your Baja trip/adventure... then why take the time at Rosario to stop there (if you were not sleeping at Baja Cactus, that is?? The word 'research' was just my addition... sounds more academic I thought... for students of Baja-ology!:light::lol:

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.