BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La to La Ventana Trip Report
kiwikitesufer

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 08:31 AM
La to La Ventana Trip Report

Thank you to everyone who replied to by request for info to drive from LA to La Ventana. The information was very helpful and here is how the trip went.

Left LA on Saturday October 6th in the wake of Hurricane Rosa. Crossed the border at San Ysidro. Prior to crossing stayed on the right side of road, up against the fence, at the large Mexican Flag pulled into the covered parking lot to get tourist visas. Easy process, through the double doors to the left, fill out tourist card, 550 pesos at bank window, back to agent for stamp and on our way. Super easy 10 min process.

Back in Car, merged into nothing to declare lane. Smile you’re on camera, green light, straight through and slight right onto toll road Highway 1 to Ensenada. Slow going to Ensenada due to Tecate bike race and four cruise ships in town. South of Ensenada traffic light. Construction at Santa Tomas. 30 minute delay as traffic is restricted to one lane. After clearing construction delay normal speeds to El Rosario.

Made it to El Rosario prior to dark. Stayed at Baja Cactus. $40 for two beds. great room, clean and very secure parking lot. Ate at Mama Espinoza. Good food and comfortable night.

Day 2. El Rosario to Mulege. 7 hours of easy driving. Fuel Sop at Guerrego Negro. Highway 1 in great condition except for 600 feet of road in Catavina. Wash out that had one foot of water. Made in through in a low profile vehicle no problem. Military Checkpoints -there were ten from LA to La Ventana. 7 of them waived us through with smiles. 2 stop to chat about kitesurfing in La Ventana. Guess they liked the gear on roof and then there was San Ignacio. We had read the stories and was expecting the worse. We were stopped and asked to exit the car. Three soldiers with M16 guns started a search. One asked questions about our trip. The others looked at everything inside car. Then the trunk was opened. Every box was removed and I was asked to unpack. They came pretty uninterested looking at kite gear and household goods. I was asked to empty my pockets which contained cash. They weren't interested. They let us reload and then told us to have a good trip to La Ventana. I heard horror stories but must say they conducted themselves in a professional way and for me it was acceptable as a guest in their country. I’ve been treated worse my US customs coming across Canada border into Bellingham. Don't read the internet fear. Smile, expect a search and don't bring things your not supposed to. We parted with handshakes and smiles.

Stayed at Hotel Serenidad, $80 night for clean room and secure parking. Good food and nice swim in their pool. Breakfast good and open at 6:30 am.

Day 3 Mulege to La Ventana. 6.5 hours driving. Beautiful drive with recent rains the desert is very green. Traffic light and no problems. Lane Construction just prior to la Paz. 1 mile of dirt roads. One Federal Police stop prior to La Paz and cruised past.

Great trip.

[Edited on 10-11-2018 by kiwikitesufer]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 08:50 AM

Thank you for the report.
Glad you got new memories to think about a return trip.
Baja Cactus is a great oasis for travelers located at a safe day's drive from the border, depending on where you begin the day.

The El Faro restaurant in El Rosario is a newer place and was great the few times I ate there, wifi, too. It is on the left (southbound) another kilometer or so from Mama Espinoza's/ Baja Cactus. Tacos el Misión, a great place for burritos or stuffed potatoes... further southbound, also on the left... new building. Hugo's paintings on display and the tables have the missions of Baja painted on them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 08:53 AM

Thanks for the report...totally agree to not get your panties in a wad over all the negative reports about San Ignacio checkpoint. Heading to La Ventana in two weeks :-)
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 09:16 AM

Than you for taking the time for a nice report. Nothing like a current report.

I'll be taking my RV down around a week after Sergio and look forward to all the green landscape.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

kiwikitesufer

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 10:01 AM

Couple Pics from trip

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg - 166kB Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg - 244kB Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg - 207kB

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg - 244kB
kiwikitesufer

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 10:05 AM

Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg - 178kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 10:07 AM

A good trip report. And, timely.....
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2018 at 10:10 AM

Love the photos, thanks for sharing!

lewmt
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 03:55 AM

What? No kiting pics? Oct seems early for LV or were you just getting stuff down to set up pre-season?
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 08:29 AM

I thought that pool looked familiar. Ahhhh the Serinidad. It's been years, glad to see it's still open. :cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 04:55 PM

Thanks for the photos. Great clouds.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 05:12 PM

The photos appear to me to be at:

1) El Tomatal checkpoint (north of Villa Jesus Maria)
2) Ejido Uruapan checkpoint (north of Santo Tomas)
3) Hotel Serenidad (watizname said)
4) Juncalito Viewpoint (south of Loreto)
5) North of Cataviña (2 miles) arroyo crossing

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.