BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: better to rent a car in San Diego or Tijuana?
joefrancis

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 10:05 AM
better to rent a car in San Diego or Tijuana?

Hello, I am a new user, but all the information here has been extremely helpful in planning our upcoming trip to San Ignacio and Guerrero Negro for the whale season. One question I cannot find a definite answer for is whether to rent a car in San Diego or in Tijuana. The prices seem to be comparable. There are a few companies on the stateside that will allow the cars to be taken that far down with the $30 insurance per day (Budget, National and Alamo seems to allow). Tijuana daily rates seem cheaper, but the insurance averages about $50 per day when you get all three options. So now it is a matter of convenience of packing up at home or going down to Tijuana and packing up, thus avoiding the long wait to cross on the way back. Are there any definite advantages or disadvantages to either option? Any thoughts anyone have would be appreciated.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 01:04 PM

IMO the cars from US-based rental companies seem to be in better condition. You'd still have a long wait to walk across back into US with your stuff and get home via other transportation methods. Better to pack at home, drive back home and unpack. Crossing in Tecate usually has less wait time.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 01:35 PM

We cross in TJ and I don't think it has ever taken very long except when we choose to declare something.

I imagine it would be easier to make a claim in English if the need should arise.

Not too many car rental companies let you go south that far!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
joefrancis

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 01:46 PM

I have been thinking about the condition of the cars, thank you for pointing that out. I have triple checked with the companies that said we can go that far, but I am still skeptical too. Keeping all my options open till I go physically get the car. Thank you BajaBlanca and Wilderone for your thoughts.
Kell-Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 03:37 PM

www.cabaja.com California Baja, Rent-A-Car has been specializing in vehicle rentals to Baja for over 28 years.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 04:34 PM

With a similar dilemma, I rented a car from Hertz at TIJ. I figured Hertz - first class, eh? No! They gave me a crapmobile so bad that I brought it back early worried that it might not make it back. Running rough, smelling of smoke.

Now... this was a few years back, but still unforgivable from Hertz.

I was moving to the Ensenada area after 12 years in SE Asia and needed to sort out the move for my family. The last thing I needed was to worry about the pile of **** I rented from Hertz.

So... given the option of a fairly equal rental price, I'd opt for a USA based company - absolutely.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 05:42 PM

Cars rented in Mexico have a much higher chance of being worn out.

Sometimes old cars and I've even seen bald tires.

Rent from the US.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2018 at 08:44 PM

Around 2005 I rented minivans from Avis at San Diego airport, at that time they had no range limit. However the Avis site today says
"Into Mexico:
Driving U.S.-owned cars into Mexico is always prohibited."

As I recall buried in the fine print about cross border rentals you were required to stay on paved roads. Driving any dirt roads voided everything including rental agreement and insurance.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
joefrancis

[*] posted on 10-15-2018 at 09:23 AM

Thank yo all again for your comments. Seems the condition of the vehicle in Mexico seems to be common theme, so gonna stick with the US agencies as long as it is allowed.

I had looked into cabaja.com, but it is almost $2000 for the ten days. It is easily more than double all the other options I have looked into.

I think the fine print about dirt road is standard language on any rental, not necessarily a caveat for driving to Mexico.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.