BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Earthquake at around 10 last night in Bahia Asuncion!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 06:21 AM
Earthquake at around 10 last night in Bahia Asuncion!

We felt the earth move last night around 10 last night....pretty decent shaker with a big boom noise too. Baja Gypsy thought a truck ran into her house! Our guests were grilling on the patio and were a little concerned! Anyone else feel it in our barrio?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 01:09 PM

We were exhausted last night and unusual for us to hit the sack at 9 pm, but we did.

Didn't hear nor see nada!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 03:27 PM

THIS JUST IN from www.earthquake.usgs.gov :

4.1 - 73km ESE of San Felipe, Mexico

2018-10-17 17:47:20 (UTC)

10.0 km depth

UTC is 6 hours later than Mountain Daylight time, so it hit at 11:47 this morning (10:47 Pacific time). Looks to be due east of Puertocitos.

Shari, your tremblor didn't register on the site at all, probably was just under 3.0 and right under you i'd figger.

[Edited on 10-17-2018 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 04:04 PM

well possibly it didnt register but the whole town felt it and rattled windows and beds and seemed over a 4. Like years ago when we were getting all those cluster quakes and none of them registered supposedly because there isnt any seismic apparatus here until they came and installed some...but they took them out again.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 04:15 PM

Shari, the usgs site doesn't show lower magnitudes outside of the United States, that's why I think it was prolly a 2.9... they're usually good at that, and if it was right under you i'm sure it'd rustle yer feathers some. Almost as good as sitting on a washer on spin cycle with an unbalanced load, que no? :biggrin:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 10:08 AM

Shari, this is just like the wave of earthquakes you had a few years ago, yes?

From Dec. 14, 2006:

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
HOla todos, well just when we thought this beast was calming down we had another pretty big one at 2:45 a.m. which woke up the whole town. And as these usually come in sets with the 2nd one being bigger we all anxiously awaited an even bigger one so nobody got much sleep last night but there were just a few smaller ones. Then just as I logged on this board another medium one hit, yikes....hey this board DOES have issues! Anyway, here is a picture of the primary school kids. All classes are conducted outside now at all schools as well as church services. LUckily the weather has been lovely this past week.

But after several days of only 4 or 5 relatively minor quakes, many thought things were settling down. I darn near slept in the car last night after that shake up. Of course it was THE topic of conversation today and most people are certainly thinking that a bigger one may happen at any moment. It is interesting as the first couple weeks there were more in the daytime and now it seems it is more active at night. Lots of people are so traumatized that they think they are dreaming when some happen at night and like me they don't really know what's real and dreamt anymore...it's soooo weird! I happened to wake up a few moments before the big one last night so I knew it was real and did my little screaming thing which just happens! So yes there are some good deals on houses these days...a few amigos have asked me if there are any gringos interested in houses. (NO! I"m not a real estate person!!!!!) but would be happy to help my pals sell their homes. I figure billions of people live on way bigger faults than this one. So I have put my pack back into the car and we will be parking it facing the road out in case of emergency. In the day it's not too bad but at night it's worse. Fact is that everyone is just sitting on pins and needles waiting for a bigger one. There are funny stories of folks who evacuated here and went to Ensenada where they had an earthquake there, then Guerrero Negro where they had one too so they just don't know where to go now. It sure seems like there is more activity around the baja lately. I talked to the diver who was down when a quake happened and he said he saw lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom.Maybe it was just some organic matter loosening up down there or something but lots of people sure are freaked out. A sailboat anchored here thought that they had dragged anchor and hit the rocks as the vibration came up through their anchor chain. Lots of good stories!

From January 3, 2008:

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
We are building our new units out of all rock because during last years fairly big quakes, our block house cracked and shifted everywhere but the rock walls we have were perfect...not a crack or shift anywhere. For Nomads building here we suggest more rebar reinforcement and no cement roofs etc. wood houses were fine but termites are a real pain for sure. The quakes have slowed down the last couple days but still have some daily. I get nervous when they slow down....waiting for a doozie.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 12:19 PM

Shari,
I recall something about seismic sensors being installed around Asuncion in 2008. Are any still there/operational or being monitored?

Was anything concluded as a result of the 2008 earthquake swarm?

Hope you are all well and happy.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.