BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: They make it difficult to follow the rules!
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 07:26 PM
They make it difficult to follow the rules!

I had a caravan of folks headed down to San Felipe this past Friday to participate in Pete's Poker Run (tip report coming soon!). Being the responsible, rule-followers that we are, I advised EVERYONE in our group, that immediately upon our crossing into Mexico (at Calexico East), we'd be stopping to get our FMMs.

We had 5 vehicles, 3 of which were towing trailers, with RZR's on them. We knew we'd go through the obligatory registration and VIN check, so we were ready for that with all of our paperwork. One-by-one, we all made it through. I asked the agent who did the inspection on my vehicle what the best way was to get to the INM office for my FMM. He asked where we were going, and for how long. When I told him that I was going to San Felipe for 4 days, he informed me that I should NOT go to the INM office, because I did NOT need one. I told him that I wanted one anyway, and he told me not to go to the office.

I proceeded to get into my truck and try to get into the parking area for the INM office. It was completely blocked off. I asked the agent to move the cones so that we could get in. He shrugged and got into his radio to ask his counterpart. After about 2 minutes, he pointed down the road, and told me "otro entrada". I proceeded down the road about 100 yards to the next "entrance", which was really an exit.. I couldn't make the turn with my trailer (and with the other vehicles that were exiting the parking lot).

We just kept going. I don't like the idea of not being a law abiding guest in this country that I love to visit.. but if the officials purposely discourage people from following the rules, it's tough!!

Suggestions for what I should have done differently? I hate being "that guy" that tries to tell the guy how to do his job, but should I have been more forceful about going into the INM area?

Is this a common occurrence at the Calexico/Mexicali East entrance?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 07:29 PM
calexico east

I was trying to search for a map of Calexico East. I think PaulW did a nice map with everything marked on Google Earth. That parking lot is tight with a trailer, especially several. There is parking on the right side on the main road next to the X-Ray machine once you pass that main parking lot. Check it out on Google Earth...

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by Pacifico]

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 07:44 PM

I know what you mean. There never has been an across the board universal application
of Imm regs, nor regs by Mex Customs. You can get different
enforcement from TJ to Algodones, at times different regs
from the same office. I generally cross at Mexicali West,
last time, a few months back, they seemed reluctant to issue
a free 7 day fmm, probably didn't want to waste an fmm
form, when they didn't get the $500 pesos for it

aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
I was trying to search for a map of Calexico East. I think PaulW did a nice map with everything marked on Google Earth. That parking lot is tight with a trailer, especially several. There is parking on the right side on the main road next to the X-Ray machine once you pass that main parking lot. Check it out on Google Earth...

I did check it out, and did google earth it, AND called discover baja and picked their brains. It's great if you can get into the main entrance.. if you miss the main entrance (or are diverted past it), then you're screwed. Parking IN the lot next to the x-ray is plentiful..but you can't get in if you're sent past the first entrance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:25 PM

I am not surprised that rules change in Baja, reverting back to a simpler time. You were following the instructions of Mexican federal officers. I wonder if you simply told him you were going to Cabo for 5 months it would have been no problem to get an FMM? Thanks for telling us about your experience.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:32 PM

I tried, and failed, to get am FMM at Calexico East last march! By the time I was waved on twice, before I realizedthere was no way to even park and walk back to immigration.

Going to the end of the north bound line and driving back to the office would have taken a long time!

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 08:33 PM
Mexicali East

We tried entering through the second lot and got told it was an exit only, and were returned to the main exit road and not able to get our cards either. I guess all we can do is try.

Fortunately we've never had the need to produce the card during our travels, which does not ease the apprehension some times.

The other issue aburruss, is that you are supposed to return the 7 day card when you leave. The way to do that at Mexicali East is pretty straightforward if you have a car or truck but if you are towing anything then it really becomes difficult, having to cross traffic, find parking in the correct lot, and then getting back in line toward the border. We've only returned them at Mexicali East and don't have a clue how we'd do that at other crossings.

Was the Poker Run well-attended in spite of the Rosa challenges?

John M
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2018 at 09:08 PM

I planned on getting the 6 month version for all 5 of my family members... but I guess I didnt clarify that when I spoke to the agent. Oh well.

Poker run was very well attended. I read somewhere that there were over 300 registrations. Great time, got DUMPED on at lunch time, had an awesome rainbow, and a good overall time.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 04:56 AM

Looking forward to the trip report. I heard 375 entrants.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:44 AM

Yes frustrating indeed, it's simply part of the "charm" that is Baja...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 06:59 AM

The parking at Mexicali East has been a crapshoot for the last several years. Sometimes they let you park in the angled slots next to the declare lane. For a couple years they let me through the staffed exit with the arm that swings down and I could park by the banjercito. I tried to do that last January and the guard spent a few minutes on the radio before sending me to the lot beyond the xray which is an angled exit and involves a little curb hopping. I just went straight to that lot this week. The interesting thing is there's an area next to the INM building that's actually signed for INM parking but always has cars in it, even if the INM office is empty. Maybe I misread it and it's parking for INM employees???
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 07:50 AM

In my experience most agencies dont know diddly about what other agencies rules are meaning border crossing guards dont really know the immigration policies and will say whatever makes their job easier. this also goes for military, cops etc...they are as ignorant a we are!! hahaha....thus lots of bad information out there.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 09:42 AM

OPINION:

I still am suspicious about the recent occasional reports of INM checkpoints randomly set up and forcing vacationers to turn back to the border or pay US$100 fines. They have been reported as being midway to San Felipe from Mexicali, south of Ensenada, and near Santa Rosalia. A friend (Art) paid the fine back in 2011, at Guerrero Negro, because the INM in Mexicali would not issue his wife an FMM as her passport had recently expired. They took a chance and got caught (or were just uber honest)!

It would be just my luck that after driving south and back north 16 times the past two years I have never had anyone ask for my FMM. I even stopped to stare into the once active IMN checkpoint office at the border with Baja Sur, and nobody was there, anymore.

That they have not even provided normal parking or signage for this "required" document says much. Only the new Tijuana border has good parking for INM. A sign would really do good for the masses who do not read the Internet Baja forums: ALL NON-MEXICAN CITIZENS MUST STOP TO OBTAIN OR ACTIVATE TOURIST CARDS AT THE BORDER. Naturally, that could create quite the traffic jam if everyone did! Without an FMM, you are "undocumented" in Mexico.

Of course, in all the years back to the early 1960s from mid-2000, the 180-day tourist card was free and you did not need any tourist card if you stayed in the northern border zone for up to 3 days.

It sure worked well back then and Americans flowed into Baja. Add government regulations, a tourist tax of $25 per person, take away the border zone exclusion area, and you reduce that flow, especially for families on a budget!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 11:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It sure worked well back then and Americans flowed into Baja. Add government regulations, a tourist tax of $25 per person, take away the border zone exclusion area, and you reduce that flow, especially for families on a budget!

I will gladly pay the minimal fee for an fmm, I will gladly
return the 7 day fmm if requested. So less Gringos are
driving into Baja? Try getting a room in Ensenada on
weekends, or better yet, sit in the 3-4 hr. San Ysidro vehicle line
coming back to the US on a Sat. Sun., the most crossed
border in the World. $25 for 180 days is a privilege. Families
not crossing on vacation trips? I can list other reasons.
Or the biggest hurdle, the US officially requiring some sort of
a Passport of everyone to return

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by sancho]

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by sancho]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 11:57 AM

Compared to the 70s, 80s, and 90s, the Baja roads are empty!
I think long border waits to come home (since 9-11-01) play into it too. But why does a government add more misery for the traveler? Seriously, we cross legally, in our cars, to spend money in Mexico. That there is a new rule (not even in print we see easily or evenly applied) helps Mexico in what way? All it does is diminish tourism. Sure, for our Nomad selfish desires, that is okay. But, if you care for the people in Baja who have improved lives with tourist business, then it is dumb. Having a piece of paper issued by the feds for stopping at the border, while others drive right by without stopping, benefits who? Maybe a few federal workers?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.