BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 2018 Trail of Missions Show Oct. 21 (Sunday)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 11:35 AM
2018 Trail of Missions Show Oct. 21 (Sunday)

This Sunday on ABC's World of X Games show... just saw this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/498858543951...

The page said 9:30 am Pacific and 12:30 pm Eastern. However, my cable service in San Diego County (Spectrum) has it at 1 pm Sunday on Ch. 90.

[Edited on 10-19-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 01:09 PM

Thanks David.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 01:33 PM

Looks interesting, have to watch it. Thank you for the information!

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 02:11 PM

Cameron Steele (off-road racer, surfer, and TV sports commentator) has been producing tours to Baja's backcountry and destinations for motorcycle riders for many years. In 2014, he created the Trail of Missions for the entire family to enjoy as a tour in 4WD trucks (mostly with Ford Raptors, but Jeeps, Toyotas, and others, too). Now the wives and kids can come along. Visiting the old Spanish missions and following El Camino Real in places has been the theme of Trail of Missions.

That is how Cameron learned about me, through mutual Internet Baja enthusiasts... in this case, it was Kevin Ward of Dust to Glory fame. He told Cameron of the 2012 book I co-authored, The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California (with Max Kurillo).

Cameron would end up inviting me to join in on the first Trail of Missions, flying to their group in the helicopter that is used to film scenes for the TV special (piloted by Jim McCoy). I was with the group for 3 days and returned with the helicopter. I rode with Cameron on the first day and a couple others in their vehicles the next 2 days.

Since the 2014 show was a hit, Cameron was able to have the helicopter for all 7 days of the future tours since.

Here are the photos and trip report from my time on the 2014 Trail of Missions:
Part 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74324
Part 2: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74342
Part 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74369

I have since written my own book (Baja California Land of Missions), published in 2016, and Cameron gives a copy to each vehicle in his Trail of Missions tour.

[Edited on 10-18-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 03:31 PM

Excellent, thanks.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 04:06 PM

Looking forward to seeing it.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 04:42 PM
can't find it on Fios

ABC sports is ESPN here and football is on the schedule here in the high desert. Did a search with no hits.

John M
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 07:06 PM

On my cable system it shows ABC X games Trail of Missions on at 1pm PST on Sunday. This is the ABC Network. John do you get the LA stations? If so check KABC.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
On my cable system it shows ABC X games Trail of Missions on at 1pm PST on Sunday. This is the ABC Network. John do you get the LA stations? If so check KABC.

Me as well 1PM Sunday, Muchas gracias

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2018 at 08:09 PM
holy smokes

1:30 a.m. Monday next.

Yes, A.M.

Certainly not prime time - good thing we can record it.

John
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-19-2018 at 06:26 PM

I can't wait! :bounce:

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 12:47 PM

San Diego ch. 10

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 02:36 PM

Enjoyed the show.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 02:40 PM

Pretty cool lks like a grt time for sure

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 05:42 PM

Saw our Baja Bound Geoff in a couple scenes. Show started at 1:30, after the Ferrari victory coverage ended. The road between Mike's and Meling looked pretty rough on them.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 09:05 AM

I guess I only got the first half. It started 30 minutes into the x games show and my cable system cut it off after 30 minutes. I should have recorded the show that followed. I'm assuming it was an hour show.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 09:34 AM

I guess I only got the first half. It started 30 minutes into the x games show and my cable system cut it off after 30 minutes. I should have recorded the show that followed. I'm assuming it was an hour show.

Okay, I was wondering WTF my roommate was talking about. I recorded it, but she said something about it not being the entire show. I guess the DVR only recorded what was on the guide.

John
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 09:53 AM

Yes an hour show. I had to record the show after it. I caught it in time.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 10:37 AM

I watched it live and it started right at 1:30 (not 1:00). The Sky TV coverage of the Ferrari win was on from before 1 to 1:30. The Trail of Missions show was a full hour and pretty well done. Naturally, I would have loved to see someone on the show looking at one of my books to get the correct mission data! ;)

Some of the highlights:

Crossing into Baja at Tecate and seeing them mention getting their documentation (FMMs?) in order.

Driving to Mike's Sky Rancho and on to Meling Ranch for the night. The bad road out of Mike's was very difficult with lots of underside contact with boulders and plenty of spotting to clear boulders.

They went up to the observatory and got to go inside where the biggest telescope is and did a tribute to Bob Steinberger 'The Weatherman' of Score races.

Spent night 2 at San Quintín and played on the huge sand dune just south of Hwy. 1 where it turns towards El Rosario and spent night 3 at the Cataviña hotel.

They played on Laguna Chapala dry lake and visited Mission San Borja.... then on to L.A. Bay.

There was a big part about going out to Bahía Tortugas (Cameron called it Bahía Tortuga) and Punta Eugenia then along the long coast to San Ignacio. I was kind of bummed Shari's wasn't mentioned. Maybe they didn't stop there as in the year before?

San Ignacio mission was visited, then on to the Mulegé mission before they went to El Requesón on Bahía Concepción for a swim. Cameron called it only "the 2-sided beach".

The next scene was of Mission San Javier and the giant olive tree there before it was on to Cabo San Lucas, where the show ended.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 11:04 AM

The helo picture showed three telescope domes at the observatory site. I don't remember three just the one for the 84 inch telescope. Did they add more over the years.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.