Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tipping & Stiffing in Baja
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 08:20 AM

According to Webster's Dictionary, the word "tip" is also considered by many to be an acronym: T.I.P. - "To Insure Promptness" or "To Insure Prompt" service.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 08:23 AM

Another theory follows the use of the word "tip" in the 17th century. The word was used as a verb to mean "hand it over" or "to give." This follows suit with the stories of feudal lords throwing gold coins as "tips" to the peasants in the street to ensure their own safe passage.

The TIP acronym we mentioned earlier, "to insure promptness," has been said to come from 16th century coffee houses in England. This idea is challenged, however, because some say acronyms weren't even used until the 1920s.

So, it appears that the history of tipping is as unclear as the modern practice itself. When else do people pay additional money for a service for which they've already paid, without negotiating the amount up front? The multi-billion dollar tipping industry thrives on just that.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 10:59 AM
Yankeeirishman ??

Hey, just curious, but do you actually search out restaurants where you don't have to pay the tip ?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 02:12 PM
Who invented it, who cares?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Another theory follows the use of the word "tip" in the 17th century. The word was used as a verb to mean "hand it over" or "to give." This follows suit with the stories of feudal lords throwing gold coins as "tips" to the peasants in the street to ensure their own safe passage.

The TIP acronym we mentioned earlier, "to insure promptness," has been said to come from 16th century coffee houses in England. This idea is challenged, however, because some say acronyms weren't even used until the 1920s.

So, it appears that the history of tipping is as unclear as the modern practice itself. When else do people pay additional money for a service for which they've already paid, without negotiating the amount up front? The multi-billion dollar tipping industry thrives on just that.

It's a vernacular people........

You can't just look up the meaning. We prefer the ancronym "To insure proper service" mainly because that would be more all inclusive when deciding the amount. If some place just focus on slamming down your food "To insure promptness" I could hardly tip well just for that reason.
Some servers and owners themselves don't get it. If you create an environment pleasing to the customer it will be reflected to some degree in the tip. And since there is no clear meaning across the board we are left with the subjective decision of how much to leave. Bruce is correct..... different states pay different wages in this industry and why is that? Think for a minute. It surely must be because of the way the state extracts earnings from lower paid workers.
In our state, a company is required to report all employee tips, as are the employees themselves if the company employs six or more full-time tip receivers. If less than six employees then they are supposed to report there tips as regular income themselves.

In the U.S. there can be extreme wage differences from state to state. The same now applies to the whole world. So, what do you do when you find yourself away from home and are not sure? Ask someone who does! It certainly is true that people take there habits/customs along with them wherever they go. But some people will tip or stiff no matter what.

When in Rome............

Do you homework people. We are talking livelyhoods here.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 08:37 PM

I concur Sharksbaja.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 08:00 AM

Yes! I ask. Why walk into a hellhole that may have bad food, service that blows your wig off yer head, or overpriced ?Lobster? that?s really Shark?s tail cut creatively! I ask about the motel room too. And the house painter!
I'm a landscaper. If you hire me my company, we do a crapola job...would you pay us? Hope not! The same goes for the food industry...and they know it. I have friends that operate restaurant and Bars.... you bet the employees work towards a tip! And you can bet that lousy ones get canned!

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Hey, just curious, but do you actually search out restaurants where you don't have to pay the tip ?

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 02:38 PM
Tipping

I worked for many years as a waitress/bartender through university in both connecticut and california. my husband in Acapulco, Los Cabos and Loreto. We both have our opinions on who the best and worst tippers are but one thing is for sure. We were both "strong waiters/bartenders" and wouldn't work for an establishment that pools tips. Both of us outdid our fellow waitstaff in handling volume of business, sales and tips. The way I saw it was that if I worked for a pool-house I'd be busting my ass while others just lagged behind, yet we'd walk out with the same pay? No incentive there. I'm also with Dave in that the back of the house workers, and administrative staff should be straight salaried. An aside- interestingly enough I was tipped much better in Connecticut than in California but I did relocate to CA right before the recession (1989).

Since working in the service industry I have been a great tipper 20-30% and up depending on the service. If I receive bad service of course my tip reflects it and I make comment to the management if possible.

In Baja 15-20% is the norm but look at the bill to see if a tip is included first, often it is.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 03:28 PM
20% - 30%

I suppose given the right place, clientele and superb cuisine I may be able to believe that amount although only one person stated on the thread they leave that much. As we discussed earlier, there is a huge differential across America and the globe so if you compare New York City, L.A. or Frisco with Idaho, Kentucky or ten zillion other places than I'm afraid you missed the point. In our case, what we do works perfectly well and the staff enjoys the tips WE earn for them. It is amazing what more money can do, eh?
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 04:57 PM

I receive a small fixed income and was never a server. I feel strongly that good service deserves a 20% tip - period. If the service is in some way outstanding, I'll try for 25%. Really crappy service gets anywhere from a quarter to $1 just so they know I didn't forget but am displeased.

I don't think this 20-25% is overtipping for quality service; as HoseA and other pointed out, serving food to the public is no easy work. If the food's bad, remember not to come back but don't punish the server. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 05:01 PM
tipping the owner?

in a lot of small bars, etc... sometimes the cook/server/bartender, etc owns the place.. even if they have staff, sometimes they'll pull a few shifts.

do you tip the owner? isn't he getting his cut out of the beer & burger?... didn't I tip him by walking in?

Neil
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 05:21 PM
Tip the Owner ?

I always have. Hell, I tip my barber in Yucca Valley and he's the sole operator of the business. He's never turned it down.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 06:45 PM
dysfunctional tipping

Pompano said:

Quote:

Don't preach to the choir. We are pretty much all world travelers here, right. After all, this is the Internet!

It doesn't appear so...... from the posts and from a credible source.......

Bruce Leech said:
Quote:

In Mexico it is custom to tip 15 to 20 % of the ticket. this tip is usually shared with all of the staff. the kitchen gets half and the wait persons git half. Here in Mulege about 60 % of the people stiff, 20 % tip very Little and 30% leave a decent tip.

Pompano , when used as a vernacular in our country it means something different. And besides, have you ever seen how the Brits tip? They travel a lot too. "To Insure Promptness":lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.