Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio Checkpoint
LAKingsFan

Mood: Cazadores y un puro!

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 04:58 PM
San Ignacio Checkpoint

This San Ignacio checkpoint that I have been hearing about - it is on the northbound or southbound of HWY1? Is their main purpose immigration control or are they looking for "smuggled items" (like toys for an orphanage)?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2018 at 06:44 PM

It is on both sides - you hit it heading both north and south. In theory, they are looking for drugs or arms.

In the past, it has been breezy going south and they are more entailed going north.

If they ask for your drivers license or passport, they want to know how to spell your name since they write it down. They will ask where you are coming from and where you are going to.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 06:33 AM

I just came through that checkpoint three days ago, driving north about 4:00 AM. Was a bit concerned, as I had read the recent posts about it here on BN.
Drove up to the soldier, who was armed with a clipboard. I said: nice good morning, and he answered the greeting. He then asked, where from and where to. I told him La Paz and Los Angeles. Now he wanted to see my passport, I handed it through the open driver side window. He entered something on his (weapon) clipboard, handed the passport back to me, and said: thank you, bon viaje.
It only took two minutes before I continued my driving, never got out of the car, nobody asked to inspect it, only had the window open......
At all the other checkpoints on Hwy 1 going north, I was waved through.
Must have been my blue eyes.......
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 09:38 AM

I'm sure it was your good looks and friendly smile, it wins them over every time.

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 12:37 PM

Not so sure, it did not work with the Homeland Guys crossing in Tecate.
Send me to the Second.....not even a "Hello"

Love my life in La Paz

Vivelo!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 06:19 PM

Awesome news! I was thinking I had to utilize all my boo before I went through that checkpoint. 🙃
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 08:53 PM

Arrived southbound at this checkpoint at about 9 this morning. Fog had rolled in the valley so not a lot of visability. Wife driving, stopped and 3 large soldiers approached the truck one armed with the clipboard.
She rolled down the window and immediately started talking, in spanish, to the one by the window. Got him going on the weather, how many cows and horses on the road and how we had to avoid all the obstacles.
Whole conversation about 2 minutes and waved us on. Our truck was loaded like the Clampets so we were stressed somewhat. Didn't argue and headed on down the road thinking "What just happened" ?? Pretty much made our day.....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 04:52 AM

For what it's worth, somebody on TalkBaja who knows somebody or something said that they switched this unit out about a week ago. How many grains of salt you take with that is up to you...but here's to crossed fingers and knocking on wood.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2018 at 07:24 AM

We went through this checkpoint last week with no issues. Stayed at Rice & Beans and talked to the owner about this. He said yes there have been lots of complaints. He and other business owners have been talking to the Tourist Bureau and Military. He was very positive that there were going to be changes. Hopefully that is happening. When we went through the south bound checkpoint the soldiers were extremely polite and respective. They did look in the back of the truck but just a quick look see.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
For what it's worth, somebody on TalkBaja who knows somebody or something said that they switched this unit out about a week ago. How many grains of salt you take with that is up to you...but here's to crossed fingers and knocking on wood.

You heard wrong. Somebody named Evan, did write about an over-the-top, alleged incident at the San Ignacio checkpoint, that happened to him and his small caravan, but after being pressured to report the incident to the Mexican authorities, by fellow Facebook group members, the OP Evan, deleted his posting, and when he did that all the comments associated with that alleged incident posting were deleted too.

After that posting was erased by the OP, a few members blamed Ron, or other moderators, for pulling the post, because of it's negativity towards Mexico/Baja.

Ron, the owner of "Talk Baja" was furious over the allegations that he took down the post, and he put up a long post defending himself and his team.

Ron, also said, that this was a 3rd time, a member of Talk Baja wrote such a distributing post about a Mexican military checkpoint, or related alleged incident, and then after the post received a lot of attention, the OP just decides out of the blue, to erase their post, and then pick up all their marbles and go home. ( I'm paraphrasing)

I don't know if the alleged stories were true or not, but there were things in the stories that certainly raised red flags, especially the the OP's are going back and erasing their postings.

Remember, not everything you read on the Internet is true.

I often hear this when a post is written, and then questioned: Why would they make it up?"

My answer is always, " for many reasons."

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 10:08 AM

We crossed the San Ignacio checkpoint on Monday the 15th. My wife is Hispanic and I'm a gringo, and she is more fluent than I.

Though the officers were polite and we had no issues, they made a comment to my wife that they did not like gringos. so there is obviously some existing prejudice.

...My suggestion is to be as personable as possible, and speak in Spanish if you can - even if it's only a greeting. Being polite and kind goes a long way, in my opinion.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 03:25 PM

Crossed the S.I. checkpoint in a 27 foot RV going southbound last Saturday and barely got a hello and where are you going before he politely waved me through.

All the way down from La Bufadora to Loreto never even got boarded for any inspection.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 05:44 PM

It is always northbound where they get detailed. at any checkpoint but especially at San Ignacio (at least once for me in 2015)... no problems the 3 times in 2017, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Crossed the S.I. checkpoint in a 27 foot RV going southbound last Saturday and barely got a hello and where are you going before he politely waved me through.

All the way down from La Bufadora to Loreto never even got boarded for any inspection.

You got lucky Howard....
Two weeks ago the SB soldiers emptied out every bag I had and patted me down and told me to remove the contents.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

You got lucky Howard....
Two weeks ago the SB soldiers emptied out every bag I had and patted me down and told me to remove the contents.

I suspect the victims have a certain look, making them look like a criminal or an easy mark; or perhaps the victims wave a red flag, such as sporting a “trump” bumper sticker on their truck. Heck, if i were a soldier at a check point and i and saw a trump bumper sticker, i would kick the driver in the nuts :D

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 06:13 AM

I passed south through this checkpoint on October 17 and north on October 28. In both instances I was asked if I was on vacation and sent on my way. No search, no harassment. I assume it is because I am a solo old lady driving with a dog in the car.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:06 AM

Perhaps, when a member puts in a complaint about the, San Ignacio checkpoint, or any other check point. They also post a photo of themselves, and the vehicle they're driving to get an idea what the Mexican military or police were looking at when they decided to briefly detain to member to search, shake down, rob, strip search, and do other outrageous deeds according to anonymous sources on Facebook, Baja Nomad, and other places.

I mention this because some people like David K, usually ride through with no problems, while others complain about all kinds of problems at check points.

There is no doubt in Mexico, some police/military operations, see DWW( Driving while white) as a possible crime.

Welcome to the hood, because such police action is routine in the hood, in the USA, as well as fixed and unannounced check points, that blacks and other minorities have to endure all the time in the hood or urban neighborhoods in the US.

[Edited on 11-1-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 08:50 AM

They definitely seem suspicious of single men. I seem to get asked where my wife is a lot. When I say I have no wife, its met with furrowed brows. I think must be part of the profiling training or maybe a cultural thing. A few jokes about bachelorhood seem to smooth things over.
I also get a lot of interest in my tools. I think there may be suspicion that I am looking for work since I carry cordless drills a saws . I have been asked if I want to sell or give away some of these items.
I never feel afraid in these situations and always keep things on a jolly note even when questions get a bit accusatory. Never had my stuff tossed out of the van yet in what probably adds up to about 9 months bopping around baja.
I did have one awkward moment where a soldier was very interested in my french pocket knife. He mentioned that he could confiscate it if he wanted, then asked if I wanted to give it to him. I told him it had been a gift and it was very important to me. He pondered this for quite a while before letting me go.
I think he was sizing up how much of a fight I would put up if he took it.
I feel like my good attitude and broken spanish earn me a lot of good will.
If I recall correctly , most of this type of stuff happens at San Ignacio .
I always keep my VA card with my passport and FMM just in case I am asked for ID, never have though. I dont think this will earn any points with the police but I have mentioned that I am ex military to some of army guys and that always gets a smile.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 09:46 AM

In July 2015, my wife and I were harassed big time at San Ignacio and perhaps even had pot planted in our truck by the head honcho there. My time for a bad search had finally come after hundreds of nice experiences. Since then, 2016-2018, no problems, once again. A bad apple at San Ignacio.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2018 at 12:16 PM

I find a big smile with a friendly Buenos Dias... goes a long ways.
Then I clam up and don't know Spanish. I tilt my head and look confused by their Spanish, but still smile and nod.

While I don't like to be negative about the USA, I have certainly had waaay more sh*t from USA cops than from anyone down here. And way more sh*t at going into USA border crossings than anywhere else in the world - and that includes 25+ years working in a variety of Asian countries.

Anytime anyone has a gun and I don't... it's Yes Sir and No Sir.

Only been through that San Ignacio crossing four times - but no problems with any of them. I know sh*t happens. I've just been lucky so far.

[Edited on 11-2-2018 by TedZark]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.