Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Has anyone used vinyl plank flooring in Baja
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 09:37 AM
Has anyone used vinyl plank flooring in Baja

Has anyone used Home Depot's Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring in Baja? We want to install it in BOLA. The reviews are great and it is a good looking product.

We have used cheapo laminate flooring in BOLA in the past and it worked surprising well. It lasted for 8 years and was still doing good until Hurricane Odile introduced it to water.

This product is thicker than the laminate and is advertised to be waterproof, although I hope not to test that claim.

Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 02:21 PM

I can't say i have used it in Baja but I have used a similar product farther north

As far as can tell, it is waterproof. It won't swell like the click lock laminate flooring and the joints do appear to be waterproof.

I really like the feel on bare feet.

It is easy to install, you do have to tap in with a block most of the time. You can lay it just about any direction. Because it is flexible, it is easier to lock into place in difficult areas like under door jams.

Also because it is flexible, it tends to move about as you install, so keep checking that you are straight for 10 rows.

It really helps to have a flat wide pry bar as you get close to the walls

My only concern would be if you get your floor submerged, it might be difficult to get it dry since it won't breathe.

It is actually easy to take up and redo if it came to that. It seems a lot more tolerant to reuse than the click lock laminate.

make sure your floor is clean and level. It will bridge small cracks deals with slopes but if you have a rock or nail underneath, you will feel it.

hope that helps some

bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 04:44 PM

That was what I was hoping to hear. And thanks for the installation tips.

I think we will go ahead with it. We plan to put down a 6 mil vapor barrier on top of the concrete. We have had some problem with effervescence since the hurricane.

I hope are knees are up to it. We were 12 years younger last time!

bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2018 at 04:47 PM

And welcome to Baja Nomad!
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 05:25 AM

Thanks,

Long time reader, short time poster ;).

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 05:38 AM

i'd really think about this...

it's really hot in the summer...really hot

it might expand then it's really cold there in the winter

it may shrink

you should look at an install that's been there a couple of years BEFORE you invest your money and TIME replacing the floor especially with ground moisture...think MOLD underneath

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 06:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bowser  

I think we will go ahead with it. We plan to put down a 6 mil vapor barrier on top of the concrete. We have had some problem with effervescence since the hurricane.

Don’t put flooring over damp concrete. Test the floor first. Fix the moisture problem before you do flooring.
A moisture barrier applied over a problem: you still got a problem.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i'd really think about this...

it's really hot in the summer...really hot

it might expand then it's really cold there in the winter

it may shrink

you should look at an install that's been there a couple of years BEFORE you invest your money and TIME replacing the floor especially with ground moisture...think MOLD underneath

Do a floating floor. Don’t glue to concrete.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 10:16 AM

Luxury vinyl tile is a floating floor. No glue.

You leave a gap around the edge to allow for expansion

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2018 at 02:58 PM

I have a vinly floating floor in both North and south homes. I installed the floors my self very easy once you get the first course down. I have them in my bathrooms for years and have no probless with moisture.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 06:47 AM

Beg to differ. I've done a couple over wood and also over concrete. Used the glue in all cases and also set it up for grout. NOT floating installs in my cases. Looks just like tile and applies like tile, just with glue instead of tile adhesive. I did the squares and also the rectangles. All tiles are still sticking and looking good after several years. I would do it in my place in Baja except my concrete is not flat enough. Note: the sticky glue on the back of the tiles was not enough. In each case I also applied glue to the floors and then placed the tiles down and allowed them to dry. And I used the grout made for LVT.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 07:51 PM

Doug, Ardex (among others) make a feather patch which literally skims down to nothing on the edges. You should be able to float your duck pond concrete floor to a reasonable enough finish.

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 06:23 PM

Ha Ha. Have you seen my duck pond concrete floor? j/k. It's not that bad. But I really want saltillos. Only problem is I reached my self-imposed Gecko investment limit! So looking for something on the cheap.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.