Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Life in Baja; another voice heard from
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 09:58 PM
Exactly what collaborative leads to...

the non-collaborative points of view taking control of the situation, as the assumptive process is alive in well in most people. We all do it, and it's the assumptions of jumping to conclusions that stop people from collaborating.

Bernie,

Most anytime a persons trys to go from original thoughts or ideas and then adds a second person into the mix, there is a 50% 50% chance that we will either: agree or disagree, or differ and it does come to common ground without open discussion of eac point of view.

Thus, the problem with these so called individual collaborative approaches in software as software is just another tool to communicate individual ideas and pijts of view. Each Individual has their very own very important to the individual belief systems, and what is important to them, may not be important to other individuals, so how can that be changed?

BajaNomad as an example:

What do you and I have in Common = Baja
Now that is where we might only find a single common ground, or just perhaps we can be more open to learning from each other?

I always learn from oter people on Baja Nomad, because I am willing to make the effort to be open to other's point of view, as I have not closed my mind off to the possibilities, that someone might have some good points to consider.

The 1984 Commercial was the one time Apple wazzing match to send a message to everyone that the Macintosh had arrived on the scenes to free everyone from the IBM enslavement. If you really look at what has happened, Apple came up with this branding concept that IBM PC's represented the non-original robotic reguritative thoughts of non-collaborative people stuck in boring repetitive tasks.

The Commercial is famous for two main reasons.
1) It only aired once.
2) Is IBM like that now?

The arrow may just be circling the orbit and perhaps it is coming back to haunt Apple again if they don't fix their clonehead ways.

I lived the Apple dream since the 1976, and then the Macintosh in 1984, and now if one so much as even criticizes Apple and what they are doing, or Steve Jobs, the minions or cult heads of Apple Macdome jump all over the person for stating the obvious, that Apple is now the IBM of the 21st Century. Apple eats it's own young, and it is going to be their downfall one day.

So, just perhaps Apple and the geek heads are not really to dissimilar than what the IBM PC robotic drones of the 1984 represented.

History seems to repeat itself.

To collaborate, does not mean that people have to conform to what someone else wants them to do, they need only be an individual that is willing to consider some other invividual's point of view. They do not have to adopt them. Just consider them as a possibility, otherwise we live in a closed system.

Perhaps you have watched the Simpsons? Many people like it, and many don't.

I lose myself into this cartoon world sometimes, but many of my friends don't even understand what it is alll about, and don't find it entertaining at all. Why? Not that important, they just don't and that is just fine with me.

I post this as many others have said the same thing: You don't think "The Simpsons" is all that funny, but you watch it because that Flanders fellow makes a lot of sense.

We don't have to agree on much, but if we want to find some common ground, we should at least be willing to consider someone's point of view. I always try to consider points of view of others. Not exactly what happens on Nomad all the time though.

The YankeeIrishman posted a while back and he brought up a good point about newbies and the Baja Nomads that have been here for a while. The so called Baja Experts, so what is an expert anyways and who is the deciding person that makes the decision of what is important to whom on this site. I would say thsat many of the so called experts come here to spread their brand, and that is my point, we can't collaborate unless we are willing to find some comon ground.

I enjoy reading other people's stories on Baja Nomad, but I have to wonder why all the wazzing on each other? Perhaps it is because bad news seems to draw a crowd.

My friend Douglas Adams said it best before he passed to the next galaxy of his imagination.

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws."
Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

I enjoy reading what most everyone puts down in text on Baja Nomad, as I am like a sponge, but I do not adopt all of it. I just like to see what other people see, from their point of view, because I don't want to just see things from my eyes only.

EYES WIDE OPEN. I want to experience others point of view, from there eyes.

This may happen to Apple and perhaps a certain nation, if they keep up with their ways?

What symbols are on the US dollar bill? Everyone was juming to conclusions about GWB, and now maybe, just maybe his focal point may prove to be a good thing for all? I am open to the possibilities, and yes I do cartoons, but I didn't say that the other guy would do any better than GWB. That's for the viewer of the cartoon to decide, not me.

How would I know what individual's really think and post, unless I am willing to see things from their point of view. It is a process of small change to consider, and that is what I want to learn from.

The Eagle and the Arrow ? An Aesop's Fable
An Eagle was soaring through the air. Suddenly it heard the whizz of an Arrow, and felt the dart pierce its breast. Slowly it fluttered down to earth. Its lifeblood pouring out. Looking at the Arrow with which it had been shot, the Eagle realized that the deadly shaft had been feathered with one of its own plumes."

Moral: "We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction."

Is This an ASSUMPTION? I don't think so, as it is your point of view and I am open to this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Randy, You used something I said to lead into quite a tour of collaboration/communication/jet lag/melatonin/ making the world a better place and a few other subjects in such a free flowing volume that I frankly had difficulty in appreciating.
I was speaking to responsibility and the lack thereof in our modern world and was taken aback when you used this quote from the book 1984---

Why do we make assumptions on message boards anyways? We don't have the body language of the individual that is communicating the ideas or thoughts to help us visualize, and ti is an issue. We are not sitting at the beach with each other. You are where you are, and I am here, and we can't see each other, and humans are visual communicators of full senses to express.
The French always comunicate with full on body language, yet the Swiss are like robots, with little if any visual ques of what they are trying to say, yet they live right next to eac other. Why is this? I am curious as to why?

We all make assumptions as the text based format of this message board and many oter boards are not the best way to communicate your true feeling or expressions of thoughts, and happy sad iconic faces only go so far to help people express their true feelings and thoughts. Thus the reason for trying to find out why people make assumptions about what other people type into message boards.

A goal is to find a more effective softwar interface to remove the assumptive.

The symantecs of wording. Type in one long sentence, and it may mean exactly something of your thought to you, then someone else reads it days later, and then ask them what they think, and chances are they will read it and maybe they will tell you the exact opposite, as the typed word is often miscommunicated.

I always enjoy what you and many other people type in, as I try to visualize what you have put in as words, from your point of view, so I can feel the essense of your thoughts, and what you are trying to say, but how many oter people will do this. Not many. This is not the best approach, and that is what I am working on. But I have to communicate with others to get their thoughts.

Heading to the hockey game. Enjoyed the feedback Bernie, and I mean it is a pleasure to see your point of view, as that is how I can live a fuller life, to see other people's viewpoints. I enjoyed your poijt of view and thank you so much for the feedback.

These symbols of how we feel only go so far, and just perhaps there is a better way. :light: :rolleyes:

It takes feedback from people such as yourself to find out what users want and need to better communicate their thoughts to such message boards so the old assumptive process doesn't take hold first.
Sincerely,

RandyMac
SO

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-17-2005 at 10:30 PM
Randy Mac

you are a genius and/or a lunatic.

I couldn't care less about trying to categorize you, I embrace your vision.

I hope you are able to return to your special Baja very soon!

Cheers,

Gypsy Jan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 03:00 AM
Probably a loonie toon when sleep deprived

and more of a lunitic when I get too much sleep.

Gypsy Jan,

Thanx, and yes I am feeling a little loonie toons today.

Clarity suffers exponentially when sleep deprived, but I would rather be sleep deprived and loonie toons any day of the week, than obnoxious and closed minded and not open to change.

I do agree with Bernie that lack of proper sleep, or depriving oneself of sleep can have some very bizarre effects on the mind. Anything over 28 hours without sleep and the noodle goes into an almost hallucinogenic state of coma.

After taking 2mg of prolonged release melatonin I feel much better, but I am not back to PS Time. It will require another day or two, so one more 2mg and I should be more balanced out. At least I hope so.

After the food poisoning event in Europe, which I still get a laugh out of, the doctors noticed my heart races without warning every once and a while. Have to go for a check up, in about a week to check to see if it is still doing this, cause one day it might just stop or flatline on me and I might not even notice it.

I might just have to carry one of those Motomaster Eliminators around just in case I need a quick jump start. :lol:

I still believe that small changes made by people can and will change the world. We need only try to see what can result. If everyone made themselves a promise that they would be nice to 3 to 5 people each day, and asked those 3 to 5 people to do the same, the exponential of potential is an astounding number of positive possibilities of change, and it would not take that long to notice significant changes.

To see positive changes requires that people make an effort, and that's the rub, as it might be expecting way too much from humans.

Even though I may have been sleep deprived, and probably need some more sleep to see a proper balance, I still try to be considerate of others and their points of view.

I often wonder how much sleep closed minded people get, or does it even matter? Sometimes people are just so set in their ways, and so closed minded, they don't even care what others may think. And all the sleep in the world isn't going to do much to change their ways, as it is a habitual situation.

Starting to wobble, so the lonnie toon guy is going to sleep now.

RandyMac

[Edited on 3-18-2005 by RandyMac]

Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 03:26 AM
It's a huge challenge but that's why I like it, cause it is a challenging adventure...

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Well said - and right on target Randy.

Here's hoping your delivery goes well.

I assume you've been doing a little QC on the merchandise.

Thanx for the encouragement Braulio. QC? Must need sleep, cause I am missing out on waht QC is?

Sooner or later more and more people are going to wake up to the possibilities of positive change, and I think more and more people are starting to make the effort of positive changes, so it will happen, if we only try.

It take less energy to do something positive than something negative, yet many people would rather focus on the negative. I often wonder why this is so? Maybe there is a whole lot of wazzing in the cornflakes of life that I am nieve about or something? Who knows why all the negativity exists. Maybe people just need to be negative to be happy, which is a real crazy thought:lol:

Take care Braulio.

RandyMac

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 08:21 AM

Randy, I am guessing 'QC' is Quality Control, as in sampling the product to make sure it is good stuff!:lol::light::O

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Even tho I have never had any crime problems either in the USA or in Baja, I do not feel as secure in Baja as in the USA, period. The main reason is the difference in the laws, and the inability to protect myself in Baja, unlike while in the USA.

I lived in Southern CA for 43 years, elsewhere for the past 20 years. I am a retired cop/special agent after 30 years on the job.

Still, after saying all this, I still love Baja, and go there fairly often, both to camp, and to stay in hotels in La Paz. (mostly camp and explore away from any civilization). Barry

Barry, What you said here, you hit the nail on the head. And, I too am a former special agent and I make sure I'm always aware of what is going on around me and react to my instincts without doubting them. There are times when you get this certain feeling that things are just not right.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 09:38 AM
Thanks, Bob-----so far, it works for me.

I agree with what you say, 100%.

Stay vigilant, and the rest works out for the best.

I especially like your "motto" at the bottom of your post. Right on!!!! Barry
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyMac
Clarity suffers exponentially when sleep deprived, but I would rather be sleep deprived and loonie toons any day of the week, than obnoxious and closed minded and not open to change.

Randy - very well said! And, so true.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 10:08 AM

Randy -

There's wazzing - and then there's wazzing. I mostly just waz friends, family - people I kind of get a kick out of - (although there is an exception on this board).

That's one of the problems with these internet boards - people don't know whether it's a frienldy waz - or a mean one. And some folks like to assume the negative.

I remember the only time I was in a chat with some folks from the old Amigo's board - years ago - I think DavidK was there. I wazzed that I didn't think I'd fit in at any of the BBBB funtions because I didn't have any ugly shirts (if you've seen photos at David K's site you know what I mean) - and I'll be darned if some of the people didn't take me seriously and get all uptight.

I've always enjoyed your perspective - Randy - even though I've got to confess some of it I don't quite get.

Yeah - QC refers to Quality Control - as in "Brewmaster".

What the heck does "waz" mean anyway?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 11:17 AM
Perhaps it's just human today to want to just vent....

frustrations out on others?

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Randy -
That's one of the problems with these internet boards - people don't know whether it's a frienldy waz - or a mean one. And some folks like to assume the negative.
I've always enjoyed your perspective - Randy - even though I've got to confess some of it I don't quite get.

Yeah - QC refers to Quality Control - as in "Brewmaster".

What the heck does "waz" mean anyway?

Waz, is a colloquil term for some wanker (idiot) deciding that it is all right to vent frutration at anyone and go about 'pis sing' in somone's daily enjoyment.

As an example of miserable wazheads, I missed the hockey game last night so I decided to head up to my friend Mo's bar in my home town. Of course I wanted to sit with my buddy Jay M who is wheelchair bound, and then I noticed an ugly bobblehead of the ugliest proportions rear his miserable cakehole of negativity towards us, and then this piece of garbage just spews a constant source of obnoxious bad attitude towards us and the world, and all other patrons of the bar.

Why does my friend Mo put up with it all, cause this nob spends the majority of his pension check in the bar each week and month. He's considered a regular, and he gets the preferencial treatment.

My freind Mo is obviously more interested in the steady cash flow from one miserable individual than bring in new customers, and he is willing to put up with this piece of crap, so I said that's it, slapping this &%#% head up side the noodle is not an option any more, as my hockey days are over, and dragging his carcass across the street and wacking some sense into his pea head is jail bound for me, and is not an option at my age of responsibility and accountability, so I informed Mo and my friends that I will no longer come to Mo's bar, to sit and have a beer, as I have a choice, and my choice is to meet new people who have a good attitude, and tell interesting stories, so if I want a beer, I will avoid my freinds bar, and go down the street to sit for an hour in one of the 4 others pubs and bars.

My friend Mo says people just need to ignore him, and I say that is not an option, as the negativity is ugly to be around, especially anywhere the same proximity, so I refuse to subject myself to this man's ugly attitude towards me or everyone else, as he thinks his miserable life gives him the right to dump a crapload on anyone that passes by.

That's the lifestyle of an obnoxious alcholic mindless dimmwit for you. The whole word is to blame for their miserable existance.

So Mo has lost about 20 customers to save one bad actor. Not a good business model, but then again it is not my business. My friend think he will sell his bar soon, but he is not building any good will, and by allowing the miserable anger of stress to stay in his buess, he will have a tough time selling it for 1/3 the price he is asking.

To bad, but that is life. And life is about choices, and my choice is to be happy and smile. :tumble:

RandyMac

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 11:20 AM
Will do David K... I can order some more of this...

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wow.....

Send me a bottle of that stuff!

Randy, please stop by on your way to 'The Baja'!

Thanks for sharing/ collaborating with your friends here!

as it is close to FDA approval.

I'll contact my friend in Europe, and hopefully she will send it to me soon.

I am just finising up on some due diligence to complete a report, and I am hoping to venture sout in late April.

Look forward to meeting David K.

RandyMac

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for the definition Randy - I guess I misused the term - waz must be like pis-sing on someone else's parade type of a deal. I thought it was just to bug, pester, tease, pull leg etc.

I know what you mean about bars - there's a place I go (Red's recovery Room in Cotati) mostly to shoot pool - but there's one load-mouthed ahole type who practically lives there - that the owner tolerates for I guess economic reasons.

He'd be a waz.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 12:05 PM
Hey Mac!

Good Story about a Bar!

If you ever get to feeling like you need Company, next time find a good little
Church like the Cowboy church of amarillo Texas. In stead of Hefting a few Beers you can ride a Bull, rope a Calf, bull-dog a Steer , ride a Horse and have some good conversation with folks who are happy and Alive in their relationship with God and their church.

Wish you well in you venture to Baja.
Randy ,Its the People of Baja!

Skeet/Loreto
Skeet/Loreto
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 02:04 PM
Surprise!

Just noticed, in Braulio's reply, that Nomads are now free to pee people off. Great! "pee" once got replaced on one of my posts by "pee," which is no way the same thing.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 05:51 PM
EL WRONGO!

Guess Braulio got by with p*ssing because it was hyphenated. I object to this censorship. Both terms refer to urinating, but there's a big difference: you don't pee OFF, you pee ON.

Lera
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
there's a big difference: you don't pee OFF, you pee ON.

That depends on which way the wind's blowing.

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 06:35 PM

Para que todo el mundo se entere:

Lera = Troublemaker (in any language)
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 06:36 PM
kind of back to where this started...

When people learn how long I leave my place unattended in Baja, they often suggest that I must get all my stuff stolen. I always tell them this:

For the first six years I had my place there I didn't have enough room to put my wheelbarrow inside when I left. Every year it would be sitting there ready to go when I got back. The seventh year, it got a flat. The sun had killed the tire, so I made one by jigsawing and laminating a bunch of 3/4" plywood into the tire that's on it today, and proceeded to disassemble the original to see what I could do. I had never had the wheel off the 'barrow. When I pulled the tube, it had about 15 tiny little Mexican patches on it! My wheelbarrow had been taken countless times, and returned with air in the tire every single time. Name another place where that is likely to have happened.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 07:09 PM
Vgabndo

Love it---That is my Baja experience!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-18-2005 at 07:24 PM
vag

You got the feeling!!!! Lucky, me too!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.