Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Road fell in ocean
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 08:45 AM

That would be fun to hook up, let me ask the guy's. There will be three or four of us total, we could stay an extra night to get some ridding in your area. I've read that a few bikes have been stolen from there... I'll U2U you..

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
How is coyote cal's, food good, do we need to make reservations before hand? We are staying there in March for the first time as we are ridding South..
. Hey adv yes on reservation, yes on order food in advance. I'm 20 min away maybe you guys can spare extra day to trail ride.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 09:07 AM

Very good let's ride.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Crazy! Thanks Larry... The erosion of sea cliffs marches on... I thought I took a photo near the end of the pavement (just past the Erendira Motel) last October, but nope... just this one of our buddy Rick at Coyote Cal's...

Rick makes a killer margarita!!! Can't wait to go back!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 10:06 AM

This was on RDC:

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 10:17 AM

No, and this was my parents. After the Alaskan earthquake of '64 when they posted Tidal Wave Warning signs on the beach there, they decided to sell it and move inland. They regretted doing that. It was the first house on the beach as you entered Del Mar from Solana Beach... If I recall, the address was 3010 Sandy Lane. I was like 7 years old when we moved. No pool, just the Pacific Ocean and a huge sand beach then.

My mom, our dog 'Santa Claus', my swing set.

Me (just back from a swim) and my friends. Playing on the beach has never not been fun for me... still to this day!

My 'back yard'... early 1960s.

You can really see your resemblance to your mom. Cool old photos!

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 11:03 AM

Thanks, John... so so long ago. Life was sure different when all there was to do was work and fish! My dad loved that house and he was out on the beach all the time. He even rigged up spotlights on an extension and sand spike for night fishing. We ate a lot of corbina, and thanks to a lobster-fishing friend, them too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
This was on RDC:

Thanks Jim!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 12:10 PM

No, and this was my parents. After the Alaskan earthquake of '64 when they posted Tidal Wave Warning signs on the beach there, they decided to sell it and move inland. They regretted doing that. It was the first house on the beach as you entered Del Mar from Solana Beach... If I recall, the address was 3010 Sandy Lane. I was like 7 years old when we moved. No pool, just the Pacific Ocean and a huge sand beach then.

My mom, our dog 'Santa Claus', my swing set.

Me (just back from a swim) and my friends. Playing on the beach has never not been fun for me... still to this day!

My 'back yard'... early 1960s.

From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 01:18 PM

"From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change"

Comparing a fifty + year old photo to a walk on the beach? Try this Goat...

I've been surfing that beach ('chits', Bells [as Bells beach in Australia], a few other surfer names over the years) since 1968. Probably walked that sand over 2000 times. Some minor cliff erosion, nothing else. Only difference is the surf has never been as big as it was in '69 since then.

Stay out of the sun Goat. Your delusional

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by paranewbi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
"From that first picture, compared to when i walked by there last month, looks like the beach has eroded a lot,....
Wondering if that is due to sl rise, climate change"

Comparing a fifty + year old photo to a walk on the beach? Try this Goat...

I've been surfing that beach ('chits', Bells [as Bells beach in Australia], a few other surfer names over the years) since 1968. Probably walked that sand over 2000 times. Some minor cliff erosion, nothing else. Only difference is the surf has never been as big as it was in '69 since then.

Stay out of the sun Goat. Your delusional

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by paranewbi]

Without a palm tree on the shore, none of us can measure the sea level change. Fact. :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 02:35 PM

The beach sand level changes... the sea level has not any amount that can be noticed. The lot my home was on and the street has not risen, it is the same as 65-70 years ago and the ocean is not anywhere near covering it.

During the El Niño of the late 70s or early 80s, the sand washed away and they added a rock jetty/wall along the front of all the Del Mar beach homes so they would not be undermined by waves. The sand was not there to act as a barricade. The sand has since returned... but the height fluctuates over the years. The sea may get closer... but it is not higher.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 03:42 PM

Let's not forget there have been several massive sand replenishment projects over the last two decades. Drive up the coast and look at the beach in Cardiff right now, looks like it did in the 1970's. Except all that sand was just put there over the summer.

They are also currently dredging the mouth of San Elijo Lagoon (because it doesn't flow like it should naturally!) and adding even more sand on the beach. They replenished sand along the beach at Ponto/Carlsbad a couple years ago as well. None of that sand "returned" except by dredging operations. They just did a huge project in the San Dieguito lagoon as well and put all that sand on the beaches, or just offshore for future use. Nature had almost nothing to do with supplying most of the sand we see today.

Didn't they have an experimental "sand tube" along Del Mar? I think they tried that first and then put the rip rap on the beach after that.

But, DK has a point. Sandy Lane is not underwater, and seems about the same relative to the water as I recall from the late 70's. Of course, rebuilding the beaches periodically would skew our POV. It would be interesting to see what it looked like if sand replenishment never took place. I would imagine all cobble and riprap. There's a reason folks just north of Del Mar are fighting to build sea walls along the bluff. The ocean must be coming closer. Which kind of means "higher" does it not?

John

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 03:54 PM

Yep, sand is what most people want to walk and play on... not rocks.

Before man-made concrete dams and highways, the rivers (arroyos) is how sand (once the top of granite mountains) reached the sea and spread down the coast.

Now, to have a good sand beach, they pump it to the shore from where it has piled up beyond the waves or import it. Sand moves!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2018 at 03:59 PM

Sand moves!

And disappears down the coast if not replenished. Perhaps some of this "sea level rise" could just be the unintended effects of dammed up rivers and lack of natural beach production for the last 100 years. Hmmm. Interesting. The lack of sand is perhaps worse than any minor sea level rise in our area.

John

[Edited on 10-24-2018 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.