Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Campo Rene
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 05:22 PM
Campo Rene

Not wanting to corrupt another thread on this topic let me start a new one in a different direction..... and likely tick off some folks, oh well.

Just wondering???
Why do people go to Campo Rene?
A year ago we met a really nice couple at Archelon (LABay) and they just raved and praised Campo Rene all over the place.
So, this year we decided to take the long detour South, since we already had planned to visit Punta Falsa.
Spent a night at Archelon, then took the long drive down to San Ignacio to enjoy the oasis, then back up to Campo Rene.

Whoa!!!! What is this all about?
Bleak is the word that comes to mind.
Except for the awesome osprey nest, which was having lots of afternoon action, the place was deserted, run down and pretty disappointing.
So, fill me in on what we missed, since we made the big effort to get there.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 05:58 PM

fun to take an inflatable through the mangroves, fish the inlet, bonk your head numerous times on the five foot door jams, get soaking wet in the rooms if its raining, maybe a trickle of a shower.....I love it!
islandhop
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 06:16 PM

There is some nice exploring on ATV in the area using campo Rene as a base. But after a couple of nights there ,it’s time to move on. Gets pretty lonely as you noticed.Now if you were lucky enough to visit years ago while Capt George was living there and met up with him, well good times were had
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 06:19 PM

When things are up to grade it is a nice place to stay and the food is okay and beer cold but you really need to bring your own entertainment, friends to help with beverages, fishing gear, boat or kayak, and there are a lot of places to explore and fish along the coast with a quad. I have been disappointed with the rooms a couple times and the shower/bathrooms more often than not but have always found a way to make it worth the trip.
edit: Sorry my impressions/report are from many years ago....

[Edited on 10-30-2018 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Not wanting to corrupt another thread on this topic let me start a new one in a different direction..... and likely tick off some folks, oh well.

Just wondering???
Why do people go to Campo Rene?
So, fill me in on what we missed, since we made the big effort to get there.

Corvina every cast, grouper in the mangrove roots, bass in the channel and halibut in the sand flats.
Flat water, swirling tidal currents, an old beached trawler, sand sharks and rays swimming right by your toes.

More corvina up the beach in the surf, yellowfin croaker by the gobs in the surf and the flat ones.

As far as you can see.....only a coyote and crabs on the beach, as many sea shells as you could possibly ever imagine.

Dunes, dirt roads, salt flats

Fresh oysters right from the estero....cooked or raw.
Away from most everything, black dark at night, a million stars, coyotes howling and stealing your flip flops if you left them out at night.
Friendly and helpful caretakers, a roving security guard at night, 15 degrees cooler in summer than the SOC side, fog rolls in, fog rolls out, mist, salt filled air.

Pooches can run at will, start a fire BBQ in the provided asaderos, ride a quad in camp, a Razor or just walk...NO ONE cares.

But I implore you, spread this word about how crappy the place is around the internet. The last thing this place needs is people who expect pristine, carpeted flooring and a place full of horseshoe pits, volley ball courts and a unisex hot tub, repleat with white napkin toting waiters.

baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 07:13 PM

DaliDali YOU hit it on the head. We love this place all though it is not for everyone thank goodness.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 07:29 PM

I think Russ hit in on the head. Bring friends and hang around. Stay in your own camper / trailer as the cabins do need a bit more TLC.

The beach is so pretty and has so many sand dollars, that alone makes it worth visiting to me.

THE BIRDS. In the spring there are so many different species. Seeing them is intoxicating.

Also, pretty please come and visit us in La Bocana if you made it as far as Campo Rene! I so enjoy meeting new people, I wish everyone would take that extra step to come say hi, have a cup of coffee early in the morn or share a Pacifico with Les or a margarita with me for hat the beach restaurant at happy hour.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-29-2018 at 07:45 PM

Different strokes for different folks!

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 08:09 AM

"Corvina every cast, grouper in the mangrove roots, bass in the channel and halibut in the sand flats."

I guess that they were just taking a few days off from rewarding fishermen the day we were there.

I got my answer to what is so special about Campo Rene.....:?::?::?:

"Not much":no::no::no:

Oh, I did manage to find a shower that worked
No shower head, just a rather limpid stream of cool water
But hey, any fresh water rinse in Baja is a reward, is it not??
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 09:04 AM

I have stayed there and enjoyed it greatly. I have fish the estro on my kayak with great success. I perfer to camp closer to the surf. Blanca's B&B is outstanding ad the company is inspiring. There is plenty to do in the area if you look around. Some of see big things, while some focus the small.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 09:13 AM

Sometimes, Campo Rene is just what a guy needs....

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 09:39 AM

A very good description of the place and why I love it there. I admit it's not as charming without Rene. He was a delight. It is a bleak isolated spot and deserves to stay that way. A humble plea to those that need the assistance of an ATV to explore. Please respect the plants and animals. Last trip there was evidence of people at play without regard to the flora and fauna. Thanks

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 10:01 AM

Sounds like a great place to camp and fish on my way south in December. Is it easy to find?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

"Corvina every cast, grouper in the mangrove roots, bass in the channel and halibut in the sand flats."

I guess that they were just taking a few days off from rewarding fishermen the day we were there.

If your fishing from shore, yes it can be a challenge at certain times of the year.....

With a boat of some sort, if you can't catch a fish, double check your skill set and modify as necessary.

But a shout out to you for downplaying the area as "not much"

It helps keep the "resort" people to a minimum.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 02:59 PM

ehall

It is really easy to find

Take the exit off highway 1 towards Punta Abreojos.

You will see a sign directing you to Campo Rene and it is before you get to Abreojos.

DK Please post a map and km markings! Perhaps more details and photos.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
ehall

You will see a sign directing you to Campo Rene and it is before you get to Abreojos.

Thanks. I found it on google earth.

It also looks like you can rent kayaks?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2018 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
ehall

It also looks like you can rent kayaks?

Yes, inquire in the restaurant

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 06:27 AM

Used Rene twice to escape extreme heat during summer months. It can be gloomy at times.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2018 at 08:00 AM

At low tide, slog to the channels in the estero and you will find corvina, halibut and assorted fishies on just about every cast. Watch the tide though. You need to get back as soon as it starts coming up. Fun fishing though. :cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 04:54 AM

I didn't know one could rent kayaks. Learn something new every day!

If any of you go to Campo Rene and don't want to drive to La Bocana for a spectacular 15 minute grand tour of our great pueblo, let me know when you will be there and we will happily visit! For us, going to Campo Rene is like going to the corner! I really enjoy meeting up and putting a face to a name.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.