Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Coco Theft
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 05:12 AM

On two of my four visits over the years, Coco had different tales of being ripped off. One story was believable, the other was out there a bit. I assumed he was trying to rustle up a donation to cover losses. His stories are interesting, so we did give him a nice tip, but no more or less due to his alleged losses. Goes with the territory.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 09:33 AM

I have stopped for a few beers and listened to many a tall tale at Coco's corner. Who among us has not heard a suspicious one? Let's see - tall German, riding a moto? Not in Germany? Huge wad laying around? Hard for a checkpoint to spot? I think not. I will never stop there again when traveling with a woman - inappropriate. I know this man is a god to some of you but you don't have to eat the whole egg to know it's rotten.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 10:45 AM

So Coco is an accused con man, never knew...... True story or not,
still have no problem tipping an old crippled guy, l'm sure he isn't sticking a fat hog out there by himself selling the occasional beer.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 01:25 PM

Cancamo, you been suckered, and I hope you realize it.

Apparently, Coco, the handicapped man, is well known as a whopper teller, and if you knew this before hand Cancamo, you would know for sure he was lying. It's usually a compulsion to whopper tellers that they can't control. ( it doesn't matter if they're handicapped or not)

But you didn't know this Cancamo, so I will give you a pass, and I agree with you, you have a handicapped man, if the story is BS or not, why not give him a big tip.

Other possible red flags of a BS story, is the amount of money in the cash register 67,000 thousand pesos, which is over $3500 dollars. Who is that stupid to leave that much money in the cash register and then leave it unattended?

I'm also happy to see more "Nomad" members been more critical of some posts, and just don't automatically believe any story they come across on the internet.

And then again there are always a few suckers who will just believe anything they read.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 03:12 PM

This is a tough call.
I've stopped in to Coco's every trip I've ridden over the past 10 years.
I've seen him in a fine mood and doing well.
We've gotten photos of him with a half exposed and very pretty woman.
I've seen him not doing well with his health.
I've listened to more than one story that sounded far fetched.
I've known him to be robbed by caretakers during his absences.
I've dropped off supplies donated by friends, an inverter that he needed.
I've signed in each and every time I stop and I always stop in both directions.
I saw him after his truck was stolen from his B'day party and wrecked with the attendant fatality.
I can not imagine him leaving $67,000P with open access to visitors unless he is deteriorating healthwise or mentally.
Has anyone actually corroborated this story?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2018 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

And then again there are always a few suckers who will just believe anything they read.

And then again, there are normal people who would get a chuckle out of it, get another beer, relax another 10 minutes, offer him a 100 pesos and move on down the road.

What fun...haurange an old man with no legs, living alone in a desolate place, happy to see visitors, and pimp him off as some nefarious con man, ready to snatch your every last peso.

pfffff

kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 06:15 AM

Terrible news but didn't Coco have another issue like this a few years ago too? I think it was his truck. I photographed his old truck (or one of them) at Campo Beluga (I think).
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 06:57 AM

coco helped us out one time when having problems with a husqvarna my buddy was riding. he shared his limited resources and we got on down the road.
I, for one, don't worry about tipping/donating to charitable causes that i suspect may not be 100% legit. and i never woke up a week later and missed the small amount of cash i gave.

[Edited on 11-8-2018 by pacificobob]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 07:33 AM

Coco is getting along....leave him alone

BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 07:43 AM

I've known Coco since he used to work at the Bahia in Ensenada. I stop by for a (1) beer when I pass through nowdays. He is a different person these days and that is understandable but I don't spend time there other than to have a quick beer say hello and adios.

If anyone wants to contribute to him nothing wrong with that. I have given plenty over the years
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
I've known Coco since he used to work at the Bahia in Ensenada. I stop by for a (1) beer when I pass through nowdays. He is a different person these days and that is understandable but I don't spend time there other than to have a quick beer say hello and adios.

If anyone wants to contribute to him nothing wrong with that. I have given plenty over the years

While I agree with everything you say I have to add that I don't stop by anymore if traveling with a woman. Let's just say it was not pleasant for them.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
different strokes, personally we stopped visiting Coco decades ago, whether you find him a true baja rockstar legend or just a now cantankerous old buzzard is your choice.....here's a recent trip report that I believe captures the essence of the man. https://kamranonbike.com/cocos-corner/

maybe a go-fund-me page to cover his losses would be nice?:coolup:

That was a great article... does paint Coco in a bit of a dark light, but it sounds factual. I first visited Coco in 2001 and he had one leg then. He was working for Dave & Juanita at Cielito Lindo before he moved to his Corner. A character who has adapted his life (and his stories) to his location.

Here are most of my photos of Coco over the years...

2001:

Desert Rat, Travelpearl, Sarah, and David Eidell pose with Coco at Coco's Corner.

2005:

Elizabeth signs Coco's guest book.
On our next trip through we can see what he draws next to that entry.
Coco adds art and cartoons on the pages to remember his visitors by.

Coco and Elizabeth on Jan. 2, 2005. Also see http://vivabaja.com/coco

2006:

Josh, Coco, Elizabeth

Roy and David get into the photo thanks to some bikers at Coco's Corner.

Coco shows my entry from January 2005 and the one from this day... 'got baja?'

It was good to see that Coco was doing well

2012:

Elizabeth greets an old friend, Coco.

Coco wants a hug!

2015:

2016:

2017:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 10:07 AM

I Probably wouldn't take a "Lady"" to Coco's but I have been there with several "Women" and they took him in stride and we moved on. It's certainly not the highlight or lowlight of any Baja Run !!!
BajaRun
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 10:10 AM

If you want to take him anything in particular...He loves Brandy in the winter and Baby Ass Wipes (Huggies)
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
This is a tough call.
I've stopped in to Coco's every trip I've ridden over the past 10 years.
I've seen him in a fine mood and doing well.
We've gotten photos of him with a half exposed and very pretty woman.
I've seen him not doing well with his health.
I've listened to more than one story that sounded far fetched.
I've known him to be robbed by caretakers during his absences.
I've dropped off supplies donated by friends, an inverter that he needed.
I've signed in each and every time I stop and I always stop in both directions.
I saw him after his truck was stolen from his B'day party and wrecked with the attendant fatality.
I can not imagine him leaving $67,000P with open access to visitors unless he is deteriorating healthwise or mentally.
Has anyone actually corroborated this story?

Here we go. That truck was not stolen. He lent it too his good friend the construction worker who was at the party. He said it was stolen so he would not get in trouble with the Federal Police (no insurance). This was straight from him. You can not believe everything he says.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 08:41 PM

The boxers in Douglas' pic were left by my 2 Mexican friends. Ismael and Edwin. They have their names and say they are from Sonora I believe.

[Edited on 11-9-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-8-2018 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Here we go. That truck was not stolen. He lent it too his good friend the construction worker who was at the party. He said it was stolen so he would not get in trouble with the Federal Police (no insurance). This was straight from him. You can not believe everything he says.

Cocoa is so full of chit that his eyes are brown, his name is brown, his panties are brown.

I bet this guy make an average of $75/day telling gringos his BS sob stories. His furniture and wheel chairs are freebies from gringos. They guy is comfortably middle class, enjoying the sel-employed gig, which basically entails ogling girls, drinking beer and spinning stories.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 08:31 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the attraction of "Coco's Corner," where you have a disgusting dirty old man, with a panty fetish, running a minus -5 star, bed and breakfast, from hell.

I would actually be scared to stay at a place like this overnight, and I sure would not bring a woman to this place.

However, now I understand all the fuss about the over priced dive, "Mike's Sky Ranch, " from the likes of nuts like Bajatrailrider, and others, because Mike's Sky Ranch," is the, "Taj Mahal," next to "Coco's Corner."

Quoting Coco: "He held the panties to his nose and slowly inhaled the scent with closed eyes. “What a beautiful woman she was!”

Coco insulting a guest: “Do you want to have a beer or a soda?”

Coco asked me. “Soda, please!”

“No beer?”

“I don’t drink alcohol!”

“You are puto!”

This is disgusting!

This is disgusting, this is creepy, and it's sick!

[Edited on 11-9-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 08:31 AM

As we spiral down into the quagmire of mudslinging. A lot of wasted vehemence for an insignificant reprobate. Bottom line, unless your girl wears "grab me here" teeshirts you may want to skip this stop. That should be something we agree on.

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 11-9-2018 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Bottom line, unless your girl wears "grab me here" teeshirts you may want to skip this stop. That should be something we agree on.

I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. I know my wife doesn't own any T-shirts like that. :biggrin:

She might get torqued though.

P1240202 (1).jpg - 85kB

P1240206.jpg - 72kB

I like beer, better than most people.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.