Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Los olivos campground
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 08:17 AM
Los olivos campground

Mexitron and I pulled in there recently hoping to camp the night on way home from further south. We drove around the place but didn’t see anybody - no campers no camp hosts. Needless to say we ended up elsewhere and both agreed wouldn’t try there again. ( the overwhelming stench of the restrooms didn’t help either)

Was wondering if it is more of a seasonally active place- like spring through summer?
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 09:25 AM

We were there 2 years ago (quite a while in Baja time) and it was open and we were the only people there. It was in Jan I think.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 10:58 AM

The owner is a Nomad and has been also posting on their Facebook page, inviting guests...?

Last post was a couple weeks ago with photos:

https://www.facebook.com/LosOlivosRvPark/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pappy  
Mexitron and I pulled in there recently hoping to camp the night on way home from further south. We drove around the place but didn’t see anybody - no campers no camp hosts. Needless to say we ended up elsewhere and both agreed wouldn’t try there again. ( the overwhelming stench of the restrooms didn’t help either)

Was wondering if it is more of a seasonally active place- like spring through summer?

Sounds like you drove around inside the campground. Why didn't you stay? Reads like you didn't see anyone and moved on.

I would have stayed.

If you were up for dry camping, Jardine's would have been an option.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-10-2018 at 09:13 PM

Jardine's? I have only stayed in their rooms, where can you dry camp, in their parking lot?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 09:11 AM

"no campers no camp hosts - stench of restrooms."
Very odd. They lock the gate at night - there was a gringo family managing and living there last time I was there. There's also a trailer home at the back where managers live. The restrooms, playground, pool, meeting room - all clean and well cared for the several times I've been there. I would definitely go there again - I like that I am usually the only camper. Your experience is not the norm, for sure.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2018 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Jardine's? I have only stayed in their rooms, where can you dry camp, in their parking lot?

Both Jardine’s hotel and restaurant have large parking lots. I’ve never camped there but in the unlikely event Olivos was full or closed, I’d ask about camping there...

I’ve always reached someone by phone or email at Olivos so they knew I was arriving.

Once camped at the Riviera in Loreto arriving minutes before a caravan of RVs. Massive 5vers and Class A’s. Minutes after it was empty, it got full. Try to keep track of caravans and races. Ever been stuck behind caravaners who didn’t know how to drive Baja?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
steekers
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 12:45 PM

UPDATE...

We were down for the race and after leaving BFG Pit 1 (RM 152) at Pirates Cave, Camalu area, we tried to get a room at Old Mill, Don Eddie or Jardines. All sold out so went to Los Olivos RV camp and the gate was open and no one readily available. After waiting awhile, the Mexican caretaker who lives in the back house said the camp was officially closed due to Covid, but she may have felt bad for us since no places to stay. We were the only ones there! So for $12 dollars we had the place to ourselves. It was foggy and cold but the shower hot water was enough. The pool was drained of water. The grounds are kept immaculate and well groomed.

This place is operated by a religious organization called One Life One Chance Ministries (OLOC), Chilliwack British Colombia, Canada. All the buses, vans and cars had Canadian plates. Amazing place to stay!
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 12:48 PM

Of all those places, I still prefer Fidels Pabellon. Not impressed with Jardines (O.K. but nothing spectacular). Cueva is better for staying inside the room.
medium Cool

[*] posted on 11-29-2020 at 09:27 PM

new caravaners, I feel sorry for them, for sure. Bare knuckled driving in many parts of the Baja, and its a ton better now than 30 yrs ago. The truckers are pretty much the best I've ever seen. Los Olivos is a great location, you can hit Jardines or the Old Mill area, both excellent food. I would have no problem posting up for the night if no one seemed to be around, rest assured, by the time you left in the morning, someone would stop by and say hello. The bathroom issue could be conserning, hopefully it was an isolated incident. That place always looked clean and kept up, at least to me
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:53 AM

hmmm … wasn't aware it was owned by a Canadian "religious" organization. From website: "In 2009 the Los Olivos campground was purchased, strategically planting One Life in the San Quintin Valley. The campground serves as the Mexican headquarters for One Life, while also operating as a recreational park, and a gathering place for the surrounding community." Was founded by a couple who used to run Baja tours. They want donations (of course) - I think it's just an alternative lifestyle supported by a website. Puts a different spin on my choice of where to spend my money in Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 10:24 AM

Just bumped up a thread by CVBaja, who seemed to be with the Los Olivos RV Park http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85086

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.