BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where should I cross with the Baja 1000 happening?
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2018 at 02:21 PM
Where should I cross with the Baja 1000 happening?

Finishing my month in Baja and need to cross back to the US on Friday Nov 16. I could cross in TJ or Mexicali. I'm in Bahia Abreojos now and will hustle back on Thursday and cross Friday evening most likely.
I've heard stories of huge delays at the border due to the race. Just checked out the race map and both Ensenada and San Felipe are part of the race. What would be the best and most timely way to get home?
Thanks
Marty
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2018 at 02:41 PM

Why not cross at Tecate (where most of us who hate crowds cross)?

I use Tecate northbound from either Mex 5 (using Mex 2-D) or from Mex 1 (using Mex 3 from Ensenada or Corridor 2000 from Popotla).

There is no avoiding race traffic, it is the Baja 1000 and the 51st year. Best to enjoy the action as they zoom by or change your return date to before or after the event.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2018 at 05:08 PM

Since the race starts Friday and won’t end for most until Saturday you should be more concerned about being north of the race routes by Friday AM. Only those who break really early will be back at the border Friday.
North of Ensenada should be clear to TJ or Tecate, heading to Mexicali through San Felipe there will lots of race traffic from Chapala to San Felipe.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2018 at 05:29 PM
Avoiding race traffic

Some pit crews will leave Ensenada by mid-day Wednesday both on Highway 1 and Highway 3 (then south on 5). Most of the chase and pit teams will be on the road throughout the entire day Thursday going south. The chase trucks won't be in the hurry they will be on Friday, but you've gotta use more than regular care.

Thursday going north from Abreojos you can't possibly avoid the race related traffic. I'd advise leaving early as you can tomorrow, Wednesday.

John M

[Edited on 11-14-2018 by John M]
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 06:08 PM

I agree that you will want to be north of Ensenada before even early AM on Friday - bikes leave starting at 4AM and from there on it will be a madhouse heading south (out towards Ojos Negros and east then south to San Felipe, etc).

I also agree that Tecate might be a good compromise crossing. Some TJ (San Ysidro/Otay) lanes are closed preparing for the "caravan/convoy" thing and delays are expected. Not that it isn't already slow enough...

Mexicali might be a good option too.

[Edited on 11-15-2018 by TedZark]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 01:47 PM

Friday and Saturday are race days.
If you have Sentry it will be teh fastest.
Border crossing on Friday should have normal delays.
Saturday will be a little longer than normal.
Worst day with the longest delays will be Sunday, but much worst than a normal Sunday which is the worst day of the week.
The Mexicali west will be a poor choice.
Lately the crossing times have been longer than normal compared to last year.
In any event choose your crossing like the rest of us and expect the worse.
==
Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Finishing my month in Baja and need to cross back to the US on Friday Nov 16. I could cross in TJ or Mexicali. I'm in Bahia Abreojos now and will hustle back on Thursday and cross Friday evening most likely.
I've heard stories of huge delays at the border due to the race. Just checked out the race map and both Ensenada and San Felipe are part of the race. What would be the best and most timely way to get home?
Thanks
Marty
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 08:56 PM

Monday is a Mexican Holiday so bear that in mind. Ensenada downtown by the harbor is P-nched to 1 lane now and through Sunday so follow the signs and head out to 9th st. I crossed both ways today at San Ysidro with no more than regular traffic, and no demonstrations. The reinforced and now guarded by military units the 3 most west lanes at San Ysidro are closed. With the holiday and post race traffic Sunday and Monday will be a cluster ....
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 07:35 AM

Thanks for the responses. Crossed north in TJ on Friday afternoon. 70 minute wait.
I just wonder about some responses when I was very clear about when and where I was considering crossing. "Change your trip to leave on Monday and drive 4 extra hours through Tecate".
Uhhhh...I guess you just have to laugh at it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 08:24 AM

Glad you are back safe and sound!

The distance from Ensenada to Tecate is almost exactly the same as to Tijuana (~70 miles)... and Hwy. 3 is all modernized with at least 1/3 of it 4 lanes wide and the rest has the wide shoulders now featured on most new highways in Baja.

Yes, it is 40 miles to San Diego from Tecate, CA, if San Diego is your destination in the U.S. That is 25 miles longer than Tijuana to San Diego. The half-hour of extra driving is well worth the difference in waiting in line at Tijuana, to me.

I would rather drive than wait that long or longer in a line of idling cars. I find that most enjoy driving over sitting in running car, and why I suggest Tecate.

[Edited on 11-21-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 09:34 AM

Folks are reporting yesterday on another web site they are spending a bit of time idling in Tecate.

Going through Tecate border crossing. My App said 10 minutes with two lanes open. I don’t think so. I’ve never been this far back, ever! I’m guessing 3-4 hours.

We were about two hours from that point yesterday. Three hours ten minutes total.

3 hours 15 minutes at Tecate yesterday

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 09:42 AM

I have had my two longest waits at Tecate, as well... 3 hours in 2006 and 5 hours in 2012... it was really insane. I heard Tijuana was just as bad with 20 lanes open, however.

Most times, I drive right up to the border entrance with a 0 to a 10 min wait if midweek, and 45 min average wait on weekends.

I suppose posting that Tecate is a terrible place to cross could free it up... like saying Mexico is a dangerous country to visit? :light:

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 09:51 AM
SENTRI

How much is your time worth?

SENTRI

5 years for $125 or $25.00 year per person

Cross the border 3 times a year = $8.00 per crossing

If you have a spouse, $16.00 a year to cross 3 times per crossing

Would rather spend $8 or $16 to cross rather than wait 1 1/2 to 3 hours in any line
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

SENTRI

Would rather spend $8 or $16 to cross rather than wait 1 1/2 to 3 hours in any line

GOES is the way to go now. Added benis are fast lane at usa airport customs, and tsa precheck. Sentri or goes is a bargain!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-21-2018 at 11:50 AM

GOES doesn't exist anymore and was never a separate program, replaced by TTP (Trusted Traveler Program). SENTRI, NEXUS and Global Entry are all programs under the TTP

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

SENTRI

GOES is the way to go now. Added benis are fast lane at usa airport customs, and tsa precheck. Sentri or goes is a bargain!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.