Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Virgin
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 09:01 AM
Baja Virgin

Been lurking and reading a lot on here. Have never been to Baja. I plan on going in Jan solo with a dog to escape the short dreary, cold sunless days of W OR for a few weeks or more. Maybe as far down as Mulegé.
Seems most like the Tecate entry.

Where is a good place to stock up the truck camper? I have learned from here that crossing with a bunch of food is not recommended, along with full jerry cans.
Also where is a good place to stay the first night?

Thanks
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 09:15 AM
A little bit more info would be helpful

Camping? Motel? combination of both?

If you've been watching Nomad for awhile many of your topics have been covered in one form or another.

Basically - Get a Mexican Auto Insurance Policy - it would seem that an annual, or at least a six month policy would be best. Baja Bound, Discover Baja, Lewis & Lewis - all are about the same. Baja Bound seems a favorite.

Jerry cans ought to be empty, and there isn't much need for them unless you plan to do a lot of off-highway routes. There are plenty of gasoline stations along the main highways.

There are big supermarkets in the larger towns, smaller markets are plentiful.

Tecate is a good entry point. We've never concerned ourselves with taking too much food - take what you like - the markets have plenty of food varieties but if it is something particular you wish, you may not find it.

Don't drive after darkness.

Relax and enjoy your time.

John M
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 09:44 AM

Camping as much as possible. Coupled with some type of fishing. Probably a lot of surf fishing.
Yep, I’ve read about the insurance and fmm card. Fishing license though? Thought I read it wasn’t required unless on a boat.

I definitely plan to get off the highway to find camping and fishing. Seems most aren’t too far off the main road.

I hear you about the night driving...heck I don’t care to drive around here at night much.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 09:50 AM

If you need anything special in the way of food or drinks, bring them with you.

Plenty of shopping in Ensenada to stock your camper. COSTCO, Super Wal-Mart, Calimax and Soriana

It's about 1 1/2 hours from Tecate to Ensenada, 3 hours from Ensenada to San Quintin not counting stops for fuel, shopping.

Camping next to Jardines in San Quintin, the Whale Center south of Guerrero Negro, Bahia de Los Angeles and Conception Bay, south of Mulege
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 09:58 AM

Thanks.
I haven’t seen any posts complaining about mosquitos. Not a problem in the Winter? Probably bring bug juice just in case.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:04 AM

We still have a few hanging around Ensenada

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Thanks.
I haven’t seen any posts complaining about mosquitos. Not a problem in the Winter? Probably bring bug juice just in case.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:25 AM

Sooner or later, storms will return to the pacific coast. Because of that, in January I would recommend you head east of the Sierras and head south through Nevada.

I-5 is the most efficient way to the border, but that is not what I am looking for when I go on a road trip with my dog! I plan on crossing the border at Mexicali this year, but I have used Algodones, and San Luis before, and prefer that to dealing with Southern California traffic!

I think a loop route that includes both Mex hwy 5, and hwy 1 would add interest to the trip. Mulege is a good stop, and in my opinion, It has changed less over the years than the rest of Baja!

Yes on having bug spray! There may or may not be mosquitos where you camp, but there are also black gnats that for me, are worse than mosquitos! If you are wearing sandals, don't forget to spray your ankles and feet.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:28 AM

Knowing if you have 4WD and an air pump will help us guide you to spectacular sand beaches.

The FMM you get at the border, only Tijuana has great parking in front of their building.

Tecate has one-way streets just inside Mexico and a parking area (move cones) for the INM office, but it is on the right street at the cross block, and that is a street that only turns left... so you make a big 2-block circle. You may see street parking closer. Other than that, not a big deal but you do walk through turnstiles that make you think you are leaving Mexico on foot! Just follow the arrows north, then left across the entrance to Mexico street and enter the building. INM has a small office. Bring your passport! You may be asked to walk outside to the small bank kiosk to pay for a 180-day FMM than take that back inside for final stamp.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:34 AM

One more thought about heading down through Nevada, the gasoline and diesel prices will be considerably lower along the main routes. Even in the more remote locations the price will probably not be more than along I-5 in CA

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:41 AM

I do have 4x4, air pump and plug kit. Thank you for the fmm tips!

!si! !si! I am with you on efficiency not being a high priority. I will not have anywhere I “have” to be at all. No schedule. If the weather is good, fishing ok and the people are kind where I make my first stop....I may not leave...until it’s time to come home.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 10:59 AM

If your tentative plans is to get as far as Mulege go 10 minutes further and spend some time in Bay of Conception.

You will get some feedback here on how crowded it will be due to the annual migration of snow birds but for a little further ride it is well worth for you to decide on what I feel is one of the nicest beach areas in Baja that is easily accessible. Yes there are nicer beaches somewhere in Baja but a little more difficult to get to.

Love, peace and tacos

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 11:08 AM

Yes! I am interested in the sea of Cortes. Bay of Conception looks nice on a map. Very protected it appears.

I believe I read in some ones signature here a quote from Jacques Cousteau “The sea of Cortes is the worlds aquarium”

I want to see that for myself. Hope the water is clear in January!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 11:11 AM

I do have 4x4, air pump and plug kit. Thank you for the fmm tips!

!si! !si! I am with you on efficiency not being a high priority. I will not have anywhere I “have” to be at all. No schedule. If the weather is good, fishing ok and the people are kind where I make my first stop....I may not leave...until it’s time to come home.

Perfect!

Keep the Vizcaino Peninsula open as a Pacific region of easy access, several, villages for supplies and gas (Punta Abreojos, Bahia Asuncion, Bahia Tortugas) plus a few smaller ones with some supplies and maybe gas (La Bocana, San Hipolito, Punta Prieta, Punta Eugenia).

Baja Blanca is at La Bocana and may be available to point you to fishing plus she has some nice rooms for rent.

Shari is at Bahia Asuncion (when she isn't doing whale tours) and has a beautiful Inn and also can point out all things to do around there. Her husband Juan may be available to take you fishing. They can provide a license. You do not need a fishing license if fishing from the shore.

I have 8 Trip Reports over on the Nomad Trip Reports forum covering most of Baja in 2017 and 2018 with photos, details, road logs, etc. So, feel free to take a look there if that helps. They were information gathering trips for a new road guide.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 11:19 AM

Yes! I am interested in the sea of Cortes. Bay of Conception looks nice on a map. Very protected it appears.

I believe I read in some ones signature here a quote from Jacques Cousteau “The sea of Cortes is the worlds aquarium”

I want to see that for myself. Hope the water is clear in January!

Bahia Concepcion is VERY popular in winter as it seems every Canadian with a motorhome stays there a month or more!
Friom February 2017:

Playa Santispac

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playa Escondida
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playa El Coyote

View of El Coyote on Bahia Concepcion from near the highway, above.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playa La Perla is the least crowded and very nice.

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 11:24 AM

Thank you so much for all the advice. I really do appreciate it from all of you Baja veterans.

Gracias
Cyberian

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 12:44 PM

I'm no veteran, I only spent two weeks in Loreto. Things I learned-

The supermarkets are fantastic excursions! Google Translate is your friend, even if it might be a bit off sometimes. I still don't know what "cham" means, but when I asked for "fiambres de parvo" and agreed with "Cham?", I got the deli turkey slices I was after.

Mexicans seem to like lime in a lot of things. I learned to pay attention to product labels after the first parvo sandwich I made with lime mayonesa. Not necessarily bad, just...unexpected.

Tecate & Tecate Light are interchangeable with Coors & Coors Light.

Have a currency converter app loaded on your phone. It takes the sting out of spending MX1K$ on a cart full at the supermarket only to figure out that it amounted to ~US$50. The US$ goes a long way there.

I saw a lot of shore fishing going on and never saw a thing caught. Shore fishermen were exclusively gringos. Pangas on the other hand-

It probably helps if you like Mexican food. I don't. Even tried the "Best Burger in Loreto!" and it pretty much sucked. Would've been a fantastic weight loss plan if I hadn't found Modelo Negra to compensate for the calorie count

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 03:02 PM

Ah yes! A currency converter! Good idea. Plan to convert some dollars to pesos before crossing.

Verde limon? No word for lime in Spanish...just green lemon!

2 weeks in Loreto is way more than I.

Pangas....yes! I hope to be able to fish from a few!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 03:06 PM

Does look a bit crowded there! Hope it doesn’t actually ‘feel’ that way.
But the scenery looks great!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 03:11 PM

Use pesos, get at any bank ATM
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-14-2018 at 04:58 PM

If you go wading in the water, have a stick to lead the way and/or, do the "shuffle". Meaning " don't take steps" as you may step on a stingray. ( Known to make grown men cry )........

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.