BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Border Crossing - "Caravan" Impact?
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 02:39 PM
Border Crossing - "Caravan" Impact?

Hey guys.. I am not posting to start a discussion about the validity of the caravan, the immigration policies of the US or Mexico, Donald Trump, Coco, or any other sensitive topic that we should debate.. :)

I am trying to find out everyone's take on the recent "push" at San Ysidro/Otay, and other places. I've talked to 3 different people that have put off their Thanksgiving-in-Baja plans because of the uncertainty and perceived risk of being in the border crossing during a potential risky situation.

I know there's a billion and twelve people down there for the Baja 1000 currently, and there's going to be a LOT of border crossing traffic due to that. I'm curious to everyones thoughts on impact to crossing for that -- and for the following week or so -- due to the presence of the caravan, additional enforcement, additional tension, etc at the border.

Sorry in advance if this turns into a train-wreck of a topic.. It's not my intention! :)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 02:45 PM

I thought about that for a bit, but I am in the last steps of getting ready to head to Mexicali, and that is not something that is going to affect my plans (or lack of them). I will be watching for news that may make me reconsider where I cross the border though.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 03:11 PM

Also interested in this topic as we will be heading North for the holidays early Dec. Will choose our border crossing site depending on the impact they may have.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Hey guys.. I am not posting to start a discussion about the validity of the caravan, the immigration policies of the US or Mexico, Donald Trump, Coco, or any other sensitive topic that we should debate..

Sorry in advance if this turns into a train-wreck of a topic.. It's not my intention! :)

:rolleyes: Rotsa ruck. ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 04:46 PM

Oh no! Not one of these threads under the guise, "Oh I just want to find out some information, because a few people I know are scared to cross the border.

If the OP is so concerned about the majority of the caravan that's still about 900 miles away, and probably won't arrive until after Thanksgiving, although I hear a couple of busloads are already here.

I would look to see what happened when a few thousand Haitians were in Tijuana. I don't recall traffic problems, just due to the Haitians.

aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 04:51 PM

So JoeJustJoe's thoughts are that there will be little-to-no impact. Noted! Thank you!!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 05:41 PM

Yeah,but he is an idiot...

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 06:11 PM

JoeJustJoe, is many things, but at least I'm not a liar like Chuckie, who claims he has a MS from Stanford University.

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 06:18 PM

Well, here we go!

I like beer, better than most people.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 07:03 PM

"......The Mexican citizens of Tijuana are responding by throwing beer bottles back... It wasn't mentioned if they were full or empty!"

If they were full, that would be alcohol abuse!:no:

[Edited on 11-16-2018 by BajaParrothead]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 07:14 PM
Border Bottleneck

Given that the original question was inviting speculation regarding traffic effects, it seems that the simple answer would be ................. Quien Sabe ?

The one thing certain would be that ANY additional crowds can't help. Beyond that, it's just a guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reporting I've read on the rock-throwing sounds a bit different and more likely:

" ....... A small group of residents of an upscale neighborhood in the Mexican border of Tijuana confronted caravan migrants late on Wednesday, throwing stones and telling them to go back to their home countries ....... "Get out of here," a group of around 20 people shouted at a camp of Hondurans near the border. "We want you to return to your country. You are not welcome."

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 08:39 PM

If the OP is so concerned about the majority of the caravan that's still about 900 miles away

They are already in Tijuana, idiot.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 08:44 PM

I'm sure Trump will chime in any day now about it...or not:P

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just now on the San Diego TV news: They are showing that an advanced wave of the Central American human invasion has arrived in Tijuana and have begun harassing local Tijuana/ Mexican residents by throwing rocks at them (nice folks, huh?)! The Mexican citizens of Tijuana are responding by throwing beer bottles back... It wasn't mentioned if they were full or empty!

Here we go again just like I feared when threads like this are started on BN.

Careful, David K, with your broad paint brush.

It looks like Mexican nativists started this and the caravan migrants responded in kind. The Nativists, are just not only on the US side.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  

If the OP is so concerned about the majority of the caravan that's still about 900 miles away

They are already in Tijuana, idiot.

Einstein, read my sentence again. The majority of caravans are still 900 miles away, and therefore weeks away if they are walking on foot.

However, 9 caravan buses with 350 migrants have made it to Tijuana.

That's a drop in the bucket compared to the masses of migrants 900 miles away, and 350 immigrants is not a great number to do too much damage.

However, if you want to correct me, I hear now the US border is closing some lanes into the US. Why now?

Who knows, maybe because we have a racist crazy President.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 09:40 PM

TOLD'JA !!

Enter the OT pond scum trolls, stage left. Didn't even make half a page. :barf:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2018 at 09:49 PM

aburruss,

Well you asked, you tried, but as is abundantly clear, there is no longer any way to have an intelligent conversation on this site anymore. Well, perhaps a a view places, but ANYTHING, and I mean anything that has any potential of a political bent goes wacko instantly.
This site used to be the place to ask questions and get the most informed and up to date answers. No longer. It is a forum for bickering of the most petty sort and where civility is virtually unheard of.
Lo siento mucho!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-16-2018 at 12:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Hey guys.. I am not posting to start a discussion about the validity of the caravan, the immigration policies of the US or Mexico, Donald Trump, Coco, or any other sensitive topic that we should debate.. :)

I am trying to find out everyone's take on the recent "push" at San Ysidro/Otay, and other places. I've talked to 3 different people that have put off their Thanksgiving-in-Baja plans because of the uncertainty and perceived risk of being in the border crossing during a potential risky situation.

I know there's a billion and twelve people down there for the Baja 1000 currently, and there's going to be a LOT of border crossing traffic due to that. I'm curious to everyones thoughts on impact to crossing for that -- and for the following week or so -- due to the presence of the caravan, additional enforcement, additional tension, etc at the border.

You are a fool to worry about a tiny caravan of 200 people. Let me put those couple hundred poor people in perspective.
Every year 300,000+ people enter the USA without proper documentation (people you call illegals).
Every day 50,000 to 100,000 cross the border legally at San ysidro.
And trump calls out the US military for 200 poor people walking together so they have safety of traveling together vs alone. Sad!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-16-2018 at 06:34 AM

https://www.elvigia.net/general/2018/11/16/supera-caravana-o...

https://www.elvigia.net/general/2018/11/16/detiene-inm-migra...

[Edited on 11-16-2018 by bajaguy]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 11-16-2018 at 07:20 AM

The TalkBaja page on FB has a discussion of what is happening with the caravan in TJ.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 11-16-2018 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
TOLD'JA !!

Enter the OT pond scum trolls, stage left. Didn't even make half a page. :barf:

OT pond scum!

BajaBuddha, I though you were this nice, Vietnam Vet and liberal.

What happened to you?

Anybody could have predicted this thread would go off the rails, over this dubious topic, that supposedly only wanted to know how the Caravan was going to effect traffic.

Then of course, David K. who loves to interject right-wing politics in threads, picks up a rock, and throws it at the migrant caravan members already in TJ, which had nothing to do with traffic problems around the border.

And you, BajaBuddha, blame proud liberals from the OT!

I would have hated to be in the fox hole with you BajaBuddha.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.