BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Insurance doesn't cover Hwy 5 ??
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 07:37 PM
Insurance doesn't cover Hwy 5 ??

I get my insurance thru Vagabundos and I got a long email came from their insurance carrier, ADAVIS GLOBAL , with all sorts of info including road conditions. On their Hwy 5 section it said:

Hwy 5 north of Puertocitos to about halfway to San Felipe.

• All was fine until where the construction has begun now it has been flooded and
caused major problems’

• Approximately 10 bridges have collapsed before reaching Punta Final (end of the
newest section below Puertocitos).

• There are approximately 25 miles of dirt and gravel before reaching MX Hwy1

• This entire area it is not recommended for any vehicle without 4 wheel drive and
because the road isn’t currently maintained, your Mexico insurance policy states no
coverage will be afforded."

So if Hwy 5 isn't covered I'm assuming any dirt road in Baja is not covered. This is not good. Do any of the other insurance companies guarantee in writing that coverage is included for dirt roads? I had asked this question directly to Vagabundos last year and they assured me I was covered but since they are not the insurance company their assurance is worth squat if I had an accident.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 07:50 PM

My experience over past 20 years of buying Mexican insurance offered by various carriers for trucks and motorcycles for use in Baja and mainland is that unpaved road travel is uninsured.....ya need pavement :( .

Standard wording in all the policies I have reviewed/purchased.

Never needed to use it....the one time a bike was stolen in San Felipe but wasn't insured....$15,000 MP reward coughed it up a day later....worth every peso.

Don't believe everything you think....
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  

So if Hwy 5 isn't covered I'm assuming any dirt road in Baja is not covered. This is not good. Do any of the other insurance companies guarantee in writing that coverage is included for dirt roads? I had asked this question directly to Vagabundos last year and they assured me I was covered but since they are not the insurance company their assurance is worth squat if I had an accident.

I think that is standard language on Mex Ins Policies, not
covering off road, I assume non-asphalt surface. It is
sometime a bit of concern to read the 12 pages of fine print.
I agree the Ins Brokers, Travel Clubs, are not the final say
if push comes to shove

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 08:14 PM

Bajabound says non-paved established roads are covered. 5 is a Federal hwy...paved or not. This is a new one.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

... non-paved established roads ...

Yeah, that wording is so malleable....

Would be interesting to hear from any Nomads with direct personal experience who had used their Mexican insurance successfully for a claim on such roads....or any unpaved road situation.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2018 at 08:30 PM

BajaBound.com for the win. They sponsor Baja Nomad and earn our patronage.
Discover Baja insurance is fine, too. They use the same insurance company as Baja Bound.
The highway south of San Felipe is maintained and detours were made immediatly after the bridges were damaged. Lots of traffic uses Hwy. 5, daily.
It is sad that Vagabundos is so far out of the loop on current conditions.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 08:35 AM

Any road used for local traffic (dirt roads included) is considered “a road” and for Vags to say otherwise is BS. Get better insurance next time.

Now, when you go driving off that dirt road and get stuck in the sand below the high tide line you shouldn’t expect your insurance to cover the loss when the tide comes in. :light:

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 08:59 AM

My liability insurance is covered anywhere in Mexico. No dirt road restrictions. That is the only Insurance I have and for sure it is good enough. All I want is a "keep out of jail policy"
The real question is why buy more?
Aldervale
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 09:29 AM

Hi PaulW

I think I know what your last post means but you could expound please ?

A U2U would work fine if you don't wish to post on the forum

Gracias

Aldervale
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Aldervale  
Hi PaulW

I think I know what your last post means but you could expound please ?

A U2U would work fine if you don't wish to post on the forum

Gracias

Aldervale

As do many others we carry ins. to protect people and property we may damage. It's called liability insurance. Don't bring or drive anything to Mexico you cannot afford to lose. Problem solved. If you expect to buy insurance from any company that will protect you under any circumstance from loss expect to pay dearly. Insurance is truly wonderful until you have to use it.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 10:24 AM
They're ALL GOOD ?

Recommendations from those who have NOT ever had a claim or have solid knowledge of those who have ................................. are worthless.

Over the last 50-some years, I have had policies through (perhaps) a dozen or more carriers without a claim so they ALL qualify as OK.

Right ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 10:41 AM

Not me anymore, but some here have vehicles that are still financed or leased. FULL COVERAGE is mandated. My State Farm policy will cover my truck in Mexico but only to 50 miles south of the borderline. It is sure comforting to know that my Baja Bound policy (with HDI Seguros) not only covers me for liability but my vehicle damage and covers if it is repaired in the United States. Plus LEGAL aid is included.
Once your vehicle is yours legally, then if you want to not have collision or theft coverage, well that is fine. As stated, liability is key.
We know there is a chance we will be jailed if anything or anyone is hurt, no matter who is at fault until the adjuster arrives to prove you are covered and can pay. Why would you not want this peace-of-mind?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 11:05 AM

insurance that doesn't cover you driving on a dirt road? you're better off just throwing your money in the harbor!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
My liability insurance is covered anywhere in Mexico. No dirt road restrictions. That is the only Insurance I have and for sure it is good enough. All I want is a "keep out of jail policy"
The real question is why buy more?

What are you going to do if you total your vehicle in Mexico below the maximum distance US policy covers. I've totaled two vehicles in Mexico and had $6,000 damage to another. My Mexican Insurance thru Discover Baja paid for two and Allstate paid for the one totaled in Mexicali.

If you don't need coverage on your vehicle and only need the liability that's OK, especially if the vehicle is not worth much. At $250-$300 per year for full coverage I think it's a bargain for any vehicle worth a few thousand or more. If you have a lease or financing the vehicle it's mandatory as far as I know.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
I get my insurance thru Vagabundos and I got a long email came from their insurance carrier, ADAVIS GLOBAL , with all sorts of info including road conditions.

Something doesn't sound right …..

I don't believe that ADAVis Global is Vagabundos current insurance carrier. I have a current insurance policy (liability only and issued about two weeks ago) from Vagabundos and the policy is issued by ABA Seguro.

ADAVis Global and Vagabundos had a serious 'falling out' about four years ago and it did not end well.

ADAVis apperently used Vagabundos old client list after the breakup to directly contact past Vagabundos customers in an attempt to sell them insurance directly. This went on for about two years. Some of the emails from ADAVis contained dis-information about the new Vagabundos insurance carriers. These emails to me from ADAVis stopped about a year ago.

My advice, call Vagabundos directly and ask them about the terms of the policy, the validity of the email, and if ADAVis Global is currently one of their insurance underwriters.

[Edited on 11-18-2018 by RnR]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 01:09 PM

Good conversation....and let's not lose sight of OP's question regarding travel on non-paved road coverage....

Again, any first hand experiences?

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 01:25 PM

I got hit by an uninsured driver on a dirt parking lot in La Paz. Vagabundos covered it with repairs in the USA. Noone asked about the surface. Need to call them about the dirt road thing....too many dirt roads in Baja that are main roads.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 03:17 PM

Have a yr. old policy, ACE, which has been replaced by
Chubb thru Bajabound, under exclusions, states 'Damages
caused from traveling on unconventional or non-municipal
roads, Impasslble or rough roads' the policy does provide for coverage for. I assume other
Co's have similiar phrases. To put faith in
Insurance Co's, and to pretend that some verbal guarantee
can be counted on is a bit naive

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
BajaBound.com for the win. They sponsor Baja Nomad and earn our patronage.
Discover Baja insurance is fine, too. They use the same insurance company as Baja Bound.
The highway south of San Felipe is maintained and detours were made immediatly after the bridges were damaged. Lots of traffic uses Hwy. 5, daily.
It is sad that Vagabundos is so far out of the loop on current conditions.

Vagabundos is not the insurer, they are just salesmen/agent/middleman. They probably just repeat what the insurer says.
Read the policy, it is the contract you entered. The statements of the agents are not part of the contract unless you get those statements written into the contract. Nothing a salesmen says is enforceable unless you write the words into the contract.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 04:21 PM

Long ago in the late 80s my friend drove off the dirt road in the mountains between San Vicente and the coast . Truck was totalled. Luckily my friend had been given a business card of a lawyer in Ensenada a couple weeks before (interesting, eh?) and we went to him before talking to the insurer. Back then they didn't cover 1. Driving on dirt and 2. Solo accidents. So my friend had to pay the lawyer, insurance agent, and state police off to get the insurance money to come through. I was with him at the meeting with the lawyer and state police, gotta say it was a little intimidating, lol! But that was 30 years ago.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.