BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Rookie advice needed-final revision?
tassonejoe

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 05:40 PM
Rookie advice needed-final revision?

Advice needed, please:

1-how safe is it for me and my 18 y/o daughter to go solo.....my wife is worried....

2-Should I take my 2003 Frontier truck 2 wheel drive worth $3k or 2014 Tacoma w $23k?

thx for the previous tips....btw, we like to drive...

Itinerary

Day 1 San Rafael to Chula Vista (9-10 hrs)

Day 2: Chula vista to El Rosario on Pacific thru Ensenada and San Quitin (6 hrs) thurs 12/27

Day 3: Enjoy the drive through Cataviña desert and go to Mission San Borja and camp in José's palapas there. Walking tour of mission and hot springs, ruins in the morning. (do i need tent?) (2 hrs)

Day 4: Go to San Ignacio. The 1728 mission, oasis, (5 hrs) 12/29

Day 5: Go to Mulegé The 1705 mission at Mulegé to see. (Stay Coyote Beach 14 miles south) (2hrs)

Day 6 Day Trip to Loreto by Concepcion Bay oldest California mission (1697), museum, shops, etc. (Stay Coyote) (4 hrs) 12/31

7- to Guerrero Negro Pacific (4 hrs) stay Scammon's Lagoon

8- Guerrero Negro whale watch (what time?) need dramamine patch --stay Scammon's Lagoon Jan 2

9-San Felipe on Pacific 7 hrs Jan 3 (30 m of gravel, reconstruction, and washouts

10-7 hours to LA Through Tecate 7 hrs Jan 4 stay LA leave old truck

11-Sat Jan 5th fly lax sfo

[Edited on 11-23-2018 by tassonejoe]

[Edited on 11-24-2018 by tassonejoe]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 06:00 PM

It will take longer on your #4 to 5 from Loreto to the tip.

Seems like a lot of driving for a vacation. Have you considered going as far as Loreto so you can smell the cactus along the way?

You will get some additional advise which will follow but #1 rule NEVER drive at night. That means you will be up early in the morning and drive, drive, drive. Don't forget you are driving the shortest days of sunlight in the year where it gets dark by 5:30.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

tassonejoe

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 06:26 PM
Rookie advice needed

It will take longer on your #4 to 5 from Loreto to the tip

more than 6 hours? how many?.

Seems like a lot of driving for a vacation. Have you considered going as far as Loreto so you can smell the cactus along the way?

bucket list....drove cross usa and back.....up 1 to canada and want to do cabo

You will get some additional advise which will follow but #1 rule NEVER drive at night. That means you will be up early in the morning and drive, drive, drive. Don't forget you are driving the shortest days of sunlight in the year where it gets dark by 5:30.

isnt it beautiful? on the road? 9am and 3-6 hr drives usually....

is it safe for just me and my daughter in the daytime only
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 06:29 PM

Sounds beyond miserable. Don't do it.

Cabo is not Baja. It is packaged up tourist trap. You will have blown by every thing of interest to just say you "did it."

If you want to take your daughter on a legit holiday vacation that is manageable, fly into Loreto, rent a jeep, and drive around Baja Sur. Maybe even to Cabo one day (La Paz is better, tho).

Or fly into Cabo and venture out (Cabo to Los Barriles, to La Paz, to Loreto, maybe Conception Bay, etc.)

Seriously, don't rip your kid off on a potential adventure of a life time just to say you did something. See the 1st video in my sig to see what you'll miss. Did it with my 14 and 16 yo's last December.

[Edited on 11-19-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tassonejoe  
It will take longer on your #4 to 5 from Loreto to the tip

more than 6 hours? how many?.

bucket list....drove cross usa and back.....up 1 to canada and want to do cabo

isnt it beautiful? on the road? 9am and 3-6 hr drives usually....

is it safe for just me and my daughter in the daytime only

driving at night isn't a death sentence....although not preferred if you're young, alert, good vision and a game eye helps you'll be be fine, thousands of folks do it everyday, salud:D

CSL is my favorite town in baja...maybe it'll be yours!

[Edited on 11-19-2018 by willardguy]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:21 PM

Fly to CSL and rent a car - Santiago - Los Barriles - Todas Santos - etc. CSL on New Years eve could be fun
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:29 PM

Advice needed, please:

Itinerary for driving to Los Cabos from San Fran with my 18 y/o daughter....i am in my 50's.....we have road tripped usa and bussed in ethiopia...i went to past ensenada to san quitin in the 90's

1-To Chula Vista 10 hrs wed 12/26
2-El Rosario on Pacific thru Ensenada 5-6 hrs thurs
3-Santa Rosalia on Gulf 7 hrs fri
4-Loretto on Gulf 3 hrs
5-Cabo San Lucas on tip 6 hrs
6-Cabo San Lucas rest day new years eve
7-Cuidad Constitution 6hrs (Puerto San Carlos on Pacific +1 hr)
8-Mulage on Gulf 3 hours (from PSC +1hr)
9-San Felipe on Gulf 9 hours
10-7 hours to LA Through Tecate
11-Fly from LAX to SFO 1/5 (leaving truck at sisters)

THX

Figure your drive time by using 50 mph as your average for drive time which includes fuel stops + pee stops. If you are going to do longer stops than those previously mentioned (e.g. to climb a rock or eat lunch at a sit down joint), then add that time to your travel time you calculated using 50 mph.

Do not drive at nite. It is possible to drive at nite, but I shave 20 mph off my speed because the roads are chit (animals, potholes and missing pavement/shoulders hard to see at nite), but I avoid nite driving

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:33 PM

Driving at night isn't a big deal. We do it all the time. Big truck and put the high beams on. Slow down a little.

Driving the peninsula without stopping to see the good spots to reach a tourist trap you could fly into is criminal.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Driving at night isn't a big deal. We do it all the time.

Lots of people smoke, but that doesn’t justify smoking.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:39 PM

Driving at night isn't a big deal. We do it all the time. Big truck and put the high beams on.

Big truck ain’t gonna help much in a rollover, head-on or high speed collision with a cow. You will still be flocked up.

Woke!

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

One is guaranteed to f you up. One isn't. Try another analogy, but make it tighter this time.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 07:44 PM

One is guaranteed to f you up. One isn't. Try another analogy, but make it tighter this time.

Neither is guaranteed to flock you up. But Both have known risks. You make your own choices. Personally, I encourage YOU to drive at night while smoking.

Woke!

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 08:10 PM

if you love driving "on a dark desert highway", WG and I logged thousands of miles in the dark of baja....me on the wheel and him manning the ice chest, if it scares ya don't do it:light: simple as that.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 08:26 PM

I got tell ya, even locals here who drive at night crash into cows and die. and this is on the road from Abreojos to the highway!

Why would you take the one in a million chance with your daughter in the car? We live here and have lived here for 13 years and no way would I drive at night.

Your trip sounds like too much time in the car. I agree with mojo. Fly down and rent a car if you can! Los Barilles is so beautiful, maybe go snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo, and hang out in CSL.

Have a wonderful trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I got tell ya, even locals here who drive at night crash into cows and die. and this is on the road from Abreojos to the highway!

Why would you take the one in a million chance with your daughter in the car? We live here and have lived here for 13 years and no way would I drive at night.

Wise statement.

However, the risk to the daughter is much higher than 1 in 1 million, risk is more like 1 in 1,000

:no:

Woke!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-18-2018 at 09:49 PM

Advice needed, please:

Itinerary for driving to Los Cabos from San Fran with my 18 y/o daughter....i am in my 50's.....we have road tripped usa and bussed in ethiopia...i went to past ensenada to san quitin in the 90's

4-Loretto on Gulf 3 hrs

THX

looks kinda sound
a little hasty on the return
nothing to see or to do in Constitucion or Puerto San Carlos
I would do Cabo San Lucas - Loreto
Loreto - Guerrero Negro
Guerrero Negro - San Felipe

Harald Pietschmann
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2018 at 08:55 AM

Advice needed, please:

4-Loretto on Gulf 3 hrs

THX

Day 3 stop in San Ignacio. Unless you really need to be in CSL, consider stopping in La Paz for New Year's Eve. Day 7 go back to Loreto or Mulege, you'll see them both on the way down and figure out which one you want to spend more time in. I like the drive up Mex 5 through San Felipe but I don't think you'll make it in a day from Mulege and it's not a direction I'd go to get back to LA.

I've done the long driving days with my boys on a vacation but we always parked it for several days to recuperate before driving home. Even with that I'd take a side trip or explore something neat for an hour or two each day of driving. I usually struggled to get as far as I thought I could each day, too many neat things to see. See half of it this trip and then you'll need to do another. I have driven at night, but by the time you slow down to avoid hazards it isn't worth the hassle. Stop before dark and leave at first light. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-19-2018 at 09:52 AM

Driving at night isn't a big deal. We do it all the time.

Hey, Goat....roll one,spark it up, and go night driving....see if it mellows your perspective :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
tassonejoe

[*] posted on 11-19-2018 at 09:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Advice needed, please:

4-Loretto on Gulf 3 hrs

THX

Day 3 stop in San Ignacio. Unless you really need to be in CSL, consider stopping in La Paz for New Year's Eve. Day 7 go back to Loreto or Mulege, you'll see them both on the way down and figure out which one you want to spend more time in. I like the drive up Mex 5 through San Felipe but I don't think you'll make it in a day from Mulege and it's not a direction I'd go to get back to LA.

thx please see updated intinerary...what is in san ignacio?
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2018 at 10:43 AM

thx please see updated intinerary...what is in san ignacio?

An oasis in the desert. A beautiful mission, a nice square to wander around in, a river/lake to relax at. It's peaceful, Santa Rosalia is a busy indusrtial town. There are some interesting things to see there but I wouldn't consider it a relaxing overnight stop on a long road trip.

The revised itinerary looks better. If you are on schedule and can get to Santa Rosalia headed south you have wiggle room to spend an hour in San Ignacio between Mulege and Guerrero Negro on the return trip. Just so you are aware, there is about 30 miles of gravel on the road to San Felipe, some rough, scattered between new construction, reconstruction, and washouts. Might make that a seven hour leg.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.