BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Northern Pacific Baja?
Brook

question.gif posted on 3-13-2005 at 10:32 PM
Northern Pacific Baja?

Hi Baja Experts! I'm planning a trip to Baja for about 6 days, all by bus. I don't see a lot about the little towns down the pacific side of the penninsula (sp?). Does anyone have any reccommendations for sweet pueblitos that aren't too touristy, have nice beaches, have a mexican feel to them? I'm leaving in two days! :bounce:
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2005 at 11:07 PM
Northern Pacific

Hey Brook:

You don't have alot of choices by bus. Once you get past Rosarito and Ensenada which are big towns on the coast, the majority of the Hwy. 1 runs inland from the coast with small towns such as Colonet and San Vicentem until you reach San Quintin which has beaches just west of the town. After that you hit El Rosario and really turn inland.
Ted
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 01:39 AM

That's because down the Pacific side there isn't much in the way of "towns... with a Mexican feel" that "have nice beaches" south of El Rosario, besides the very small villages (down dirt roads; read: no bus service) of Abreojos, Bahia Tortugas and San Juanico - until you get to Todos Santos near the end of the peninsula.

Guerrero Negro is also along the Pacific side, but isn't "known" for the beaches in the immediate vicinity. GN's claims to fame are sea salt and gray whales.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 07:43 AM

Look at a map before you leave--like the others said, the buses don't travel along the beaches except south of San Quintin. Are you camping or looking for a hotel? Camping expands your options a bit, but I personally wouldn't use a bus to find your "sweet pueblito" by the sea.
Brook

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 11:56 AM
shoot!

Hey guys, thanks for all the good input. It sounds like my vision of a pacific beach vacation isn't very realistic. What I'm worried about is taking a lot of my vacation time in hot buses to the inside coast going to Santa Rosalia or somewhere around there, and about closer towns like San Felipe being too crazy with all the tourists. Am I pretty much SOL? Any other suggestions? So far everything has been great, I really appreciate everybody's experience and advice!! :) Brook
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 12:29 PM

BROOK.for a good "get aquainted with Baja" mechanism try David Ks web-site. His knowlwdge and experiance provide an excellent primer for Baja.....photos included. Generally the areas he visits require 4X4 transport. Good luck....keep looking and I am sure you will find your special place somewhere on Baja.
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 01:07 PM
Brook ..........

one of my favorite pueblos is SAN IGNACIO .... but it is NOT on the pacific ...:no: you would like the atmosphere ....and nice and slow pace...:bounce:
around $70.00 one-way from the border.
There shouldn't be much EXTREME heat until you get into the summer. In the past I have picked up the last bus heading SOUTH from ENSENADA at around 8:00PM and slept most of the way ... :bounce: arriving in SAN IGNACIO at around 8:00AM .... so you can make a bad bus ride into something good.:wow::wow:
On my way back NORTH ... there is a military CHECK POINT ... a couple of miles NORTH of town where total inspections are usually done.:o:o looking for DRUGS. The last two times that I have tried .... I have picked up rides all the way to TIJUANA ... :bounce: ... once in an 18 WHEELER .... and once in an SUV.... the latest trip was DEC '04. I saved the return bus fare but bought each of the guys whatever they wanted when we stopped for lunch. :bounce:

good luck ....

:o;D:wow::P:P
Brook

[*] posted on 3-26-2005 at 01:38 PM
THANK YOU!

A quick update: I went to Ensenada and San Felipe and had a WONDERFUL time. I absolutely loved Baja and can't wait to go back. Thank you all who gave advice!! Brook
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 09:09 AM
Earthquake Moves San Felipe to Pacific Ocean!

Oh my God! My little ol Campo Ocotillo is no longer at the Sea of Cortez? It?s on the Pacifica? Was your ?visit all the little towns down the pacific side of the peninsula? trip fun? Seriously?next time you plan to visit San Felipe?allow a good week there!

Oh my God! My little ol Campo Octillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Brook
A quick update: I went to Ensenada and San Felipe and had a WONDERFUL time. I absolutely loved Baja and can't wait to go back. Thank you all who gave advice!! Brook

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.