Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Watch Tecate Wait Time Increase
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 04:11 PM
Watch Tecate Wait Time Increase

I crossed at Tecate on Friday in 15 Minutes. Currently at 3 PM the wait time is 3 hours. It will probably increase

https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp?action=n&pn=2505
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 04:29 PM

Time wont matter much when the migrants arrive they will close that border like the ones further west.
Head for Mexicali before the migrants get there.
jgoldy

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 05:16 PM

I can't really see an incentive on the part of the migrants to walk across the desert again just to sit at another border crossing further east. I suspect this will all stay in TJ.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 09:59 PM

Nobody walked across deserts to Tijuana... it would have been televised and it is all highway... They had to have been taken there to beat the majority. You have to ask why go to the most distant U.S. border from Central America?? Texas is over a thousand miles closer than San Ysidro.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You have to ask why go to the most distant U.S. border from Central America?? Texas is over a thousand miles closer than San Ysidro.

No doubt, a conspiracy by the Dems? Better life in California? Hope you won’t be repeating something you read. Points for originality.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 11:00 PM

How dare those refugees inconvenience the gringo middle class on holiday?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Element Gypsy

Mood: excited

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:35 AM

I have been planning the past month to cross at Tecate. Wonder how long the wait will be this Tuesday? Wednesday?
Leaving Los Angeles in the morning, hoping to get to Ensenada before dark.
Maybe a back up plan for an overnight before Ensenada in case the wait delays me.

My friend is south of La Paz and told me NOT to take 5 as it was hell and he is a seasoned traveler and has a good big truck with a slide in truck camper.

Getting as far south of the border quickly may be my plan and by pass some of the things I penciled on my map.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:51 AM

The 5 is not Hell, it has some unpaved sections amounting to a total of maybe 30 miles. Where's your sense of ADVENTURE?
That's okay... the other kind of "hell" is on Hwy. 1: CITY TRAFFIC, COPS, WINDING mountain sections, several dirt mile detours ALSO, and lots of farming towns and stops for traffic.

Between Ensenada and Laguna Chapala on Hwy. 1 you will have stops or traffic possible in:

Maneadero
Santo Tomas
San Vicente
Colonet
Camalu
Colonia V. Guerrero
San Quintin
Lazaro Card##as
Los Pinos/Santa Maria
El Rosario

On Hwy. 5 between San Felipe and Laguna Chapala you have these farming towns with traffic to deal with:

------

Yep, zero.

Also getting through San Felipe is a whole lot quicker than the miles of getting across the city of Ensenada.

If you are game, go down one and back the other then you will know what 'hell' really is!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:13 AM
That's Right Goat... How dare theyhttp://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
How dare those refugees inconvenience the gringo middle class on holiday?

Linda
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:30 AM

in the years ahead as food and water resources dwindle, and violence escalates we will see mass human migrations worldwide. this is just a preview of coming events. folks would rather take a walk than starve and suffer in places where life is brutally difficult. if we were in their circumstances we would do the same. don't ever think you couldn't be in their shoes/shoe-lessness. get used to it.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 08:28 AM

Check this link before heading north. Frequently updated. Monitoring it for various time of day and days of the week will result in knowledge about the best time to cross.
https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Element Gypsy  
I have been planning the past month to cross at Tecate. Wonder how long the wait will be this Tuesday? Wednesday?
Leaving Los Angeles in the morning, hoping to get to Ensenada before dark.
Maybe a back up plan for an overnight before Ensenada in case the wait delays me.

My friend is south of La Paz and told me NOT to take 5 as it was hell and he is a seasoned traveler and has a good big truck with a slide in truck camper.

Getting as far south of the border quickly may be my plan and by pass some of the things I penciled on my map.

The waits being mentioned are northbound. Heading south into Mexico shouldn't be much of a wait... unless Tecate comes under siege and the crossing is closed.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
unless Tecate comes under siege and the crossing is closed.

Under SIEGE? Seriously? Penniless migrants against the MIC of the US?

Hyperventilate much?

John
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:40 AM

:biggrin:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
in the years ahead as food and water resources dwindle, and violence escalates we will see mass human migrations worldwide. this is just a preview of coming events. folks would rather take a walk than starve and suffer in places where life is brutally difficult. if we were in their circumstances we would do the same. don't ever think you couldn't be in their shoes/shoe-lessness. get used to it.

Refugee migrations have been happening since dawn of time.
The haters in the trump base, hating on central american refugees in 2018, remind me of californians of the 1920s hating the 1 million dust bowl refugees that left the plains.
Is it selfish human nature for the haves to stomp on the have nots?

What would jesus do?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 01:16 PM

The 5 is not Hell, it has some unpaved sections amounting to a total of maybe 30 miles. Where's your sense of ADVENTURE?

David, the 5 is much worse right now than you describe. Heading south toward Puertecitos there are many miles of washboard from construction of a new road. Then past Puertecitos there are about 20 areas where the road had been washed away from the recent hurricane. Many bridges are damaged. I would warn anyone with with a trailer, boat or RV to avoid this route for a while. It took longer for my pickup to take the 5 than the 1 in the past week. If your idea of adventure is flat tires and broken springs with no service for a hundred miles go for it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 06:00 PM

Yes, I know... Thank you.

You guys really should read what travel was like before 1973, if you didn't personally travel in the days when pavement ended at San Felipe or near Colonet!

The 30-mile figure includes the Arroyo Matomi to Cow Patty detour and bridge washout detours.

Life is not always a highway! ;)

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 08:46 PM

Yes, I know... Thank you. You guys really should read what travel was like before 1973, if you didn't personally travel in the days when pavement ended at San Felipe or near Colonet!

The 30-mile figure includes the Arroyo Matomi to Cow Patty detour and bridge washout detours.

Life is not always a highway!

Hey Snowbirds,
Unless you have a baja1000-type race rig I suggest you take HWY 1. HWY 5 is HELL! DAVID IS WRONG. HWY 5 is pure hell unless you have an off-road racer or dirt bike. For some reason David has missed the current road conditions. Refer to him if you need to know what it was like a long time ago. Yesterday it was hell and it will be hell for years. There is massive damage. This is not the shortcut many thought it would be. HWY 1 is faster, safer.

DEVEAU
Nomad

Mood: "WFO"

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 03:26 PM

My brother just crossed back into the USA after a solo 1100 mile dirtbike ride. The "official" website said 75 minutes. He made it through in 8?

He did say HWY 5 was pretty torn-up. Matomi was smooth and flat.

Chase Trucks? ??
We don\'t need no stinking chase trucks!
WhackAMolE
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 03:28 PM

Nobody walked across deserts to Tijuana... it would have been televised and it is all highway... They had to have been taken there to beat the majority. You have to ask why go to the most distant U.S. border from Central America?? Texas is over a thousand miles closer than San Ysidro.

Much safer route.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.