Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Watch Tecate Wait Time Increase
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DEVEAU  
My brother just crossed back into the USA after a solo 1100 mile dirtbike ride. The "official" website said 75 minutes. He made it through in 8?

He did say HWY 5 was pretty torn-up. Matomi was smooth and flat.

Motorcycles go to the front of the line at all crossings.
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 01:25 PM

The 5 is really jacked up for 20 miles . Luckily I do have a long travel off road buggy, so it was not a problem for me. It appears that all the workers have been moved from the new construction of the hwy 5 to repairing the devastation. Like Bajadogs stated it will be "Years" before this is repaired and even many more years before the Hwy 5 new construction is completed.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by BajaRun]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 01:33 PM

Call me selfish, but I can see an 'upside' to the devastation to the highway. At least for those of us who prefer challenging roads to lots of traffic and crowded destinations.

The 'realist' in me is hoping the repairs go well, and possibly they can re-evaluate some of their engineering concepts!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 05:54 PM

I just did the 5 in my old lady SUV end of October. If I can do it, anyone can. It did save quite a bit of time, as my destination was Bullhead instead of the usual San Diego. Yes, it is slow, but still shorter. AND it was quite the adventure with my wrong turn (another story).
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 07:06 PM

A while back we were guessing on the completion of hwy 5 at 1-2 yeas now?? Ever at this rate of build wash away and rebuild? How long? 5-7 more years?
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
A while back we were guessing on the completion of hwy 5 at 1-2 yeas now?? Ever at this rate of build wash away and rebuild? How long? 5-7 more years?

My guess is 7-10 years for the completion now. There is a whole bunch of work to be done just to repair the damage from the storm..
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 11:59 AM

And Coco couldn't be happier ....:biggrin:

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 12:04 PM

why bother rebuilding? if they're unable to design a bridge that can withstand the torrent through the arroyo's forget it. put the money and energy into the Chapala route.......see how it fares:coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  

That was when we thought the project was fully funded. However, it seems every year they need to get the next year's funds rather than enough to complete the project?

When I traveled south of Gonzaga in 2017, the crews working were minimal. When I traveled there last August (2018), the project was nearly abandoned. I saw one dump truck moving and all the other heavy equipment was parked at the constriction camp in the canyon.

The Coco's Corner bypass route of the new highway was eroding away from rains back then. Such a waste of tax money.

What had been done between 2017 and 2018, was over 4 miles of new roadbed across the Chapala Valley had been paved, but still not open to all traffic. A large dirt berm is on the south end of the paving and no good connection around it (4WD only for a couple hundred feet of deep dust.

There is still 1 mile of unpaved new road to the Hwy. 1 junction. This was likely to discourage extra traffic from Hwy. 1 to get on it or think it is paved all the way now?

Photos from three months ago, north to south, from near the end of pavement 12+ miles south of Gonzaga Bay gas station:

On the Coco's bypass section.

Paving just at bridge area.

Just over 5 miles from Hwy. 1, paving begins.

At Hwy. 1, (an estimated) KM marker (I calculate the actual number will be 2-3 kms. less when the highway is completed.)

NORTHBOUND from Hwy. 1 back towards Gonzaga Bay:

Detour to older road in canyon near construction camp.

New roadbed on side of canyon (not open to use) as seen from older road.

Just beyond where paving begins going north.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puertecitos to San Felipe construction zone (Cow Patty's north to Arroyo Matomi, replacing the old paved road with many vados (dips) with bridges and a level road. This new work was pretty much destroyed by the October flash flooding that also took out some bridges south of Puertecitos:

Again, this was in August 2018.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 02:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Call me selfish, but I can see an 'upside' to the devastation to the highway. At least for those of us who prefer challenging roads to lots of traffic and crowded destinations.

The 'realist' in me is hoping the repairs go well, and possibly they can re-evaluate some of their engineering concepts!

I see a huge upside to all the road carnage of the storms. That should keep them busy for a couple years and keep the hoards of people from going that route. The longer it stays an "off road buggy route" is just fine with me.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I see a huge upside to all the road carnage of the storms. That should keep them busy for a couple years and keep the hoards of people from going that route. The longer it stays an "off road buggy route" is just fine with me.

Sure, me too... albeit that is selfish on my part. I do think Baja is big enough for all of us who want to go... usually just a few days or weeks out of the year. As Mama used to say, Bad roads bring Good people... She feared the consequences of the arrival of pavement in 1973... Good roads bring All Kinds of people (accidents too)!

AK has a good point, their bridge construction was terrible for such a new and modern highway. I guess they thought all those arroyos and canyons hadn't seen water since the last Ice Age?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.