BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: green sticker motos on hwy.
okiegumbo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 06:05 PM
green sticker motos on hwy.

Planning motorcycle trip to Mike's. 2-3 motos, side-by-side and f350 4x4. I am concerned that the motos and side-by-side are greensticker only, no license plate. Is this going to be a problem? We will start in Ensenada unless there is a hotel in Santo Thomas.

I have not been to Mike's in twenty years. We plan on going down the coast to Colonet and taking the old road to Mike,s (not Meling's) Next day, Mike's to Valle Trinidad to San Vicente, Erendira and back to Sto. Tomas. Advice?
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 06:09 PM

Go. Have fun. Nobody is going to care about your green sticker bike. Unless you're being an a$$ in town.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 06:32 PM

Mexico has no idea what a green sticker or a red sticker is.

We've ridden our dirt bikes all over small towns in Baja and Sonora and the police have never said a word. La Paz as well, but never a big place like Ensenada though.

As a side note, our KTM's are red stickers and my kid got a pretty big fine for ridding his at an OHV place here. F'ing CA park rangers.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 07:46 PM

Ride from Tecate instead of Ensenada if possible. Way better.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2018 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Mexico has no idea what a green sticker or a red sticker is.

We've ridden our dirt bikes all over small towns in Baja and Sonora and the police have never said a word. La Paz as well, but never a big place like Ensenada though.

As a side note, our KTM's are red stickers and my kid got a pretty big fine for ridding his at an OHV place here. F'ing CA park rangers.

F’ing rangers?
More like f’ing dumb kid got an expensive schooling in reading the f’ing posted rules :lol:
The world is full of ignoramuses that disobey the rules, tha’ts job security for the good guys!
:lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:31 AM

There is a small hotel/restaurant/bar at the N end of Santo Tomas. The El Palomar, never stayed in the hotel only camped across the street but the restaurant and bar are nice enough.

Bruce
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:14 AM

okiegumbo welcome to bajanomad and regarding the license plates? So many cars here have NONE that I doubt there would ever be an issue.

Take photos and give us a trip report afterwards! Safe travels.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:04 PM

I live in Baja full time Drive race truck all dirt bikes If they have plates I have removed them. Driven on Hwy 1. Zero problems for last over 40 years. If you pass my place stop say hi or ride. Send PM
okiegumbo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 09:42 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I figured as much, but it never hurts to be cautious. We are planing our trip for late may prior to the Baja 500.

Can anyone tell me if the road from Mike's to Simpson ranch and on to VDT is still possible (F350 4x4)?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by okiegumbo  
Thanks for all of the replies. I figured as much, but it never hurts to be cautious. We are planing our trip for late may prior to the Baja 500.

Can anyone tell me if the road from Mike's to Simpson ranch and on to VDT is still possible (F350 4x4)?

It was pretty bad in my jeep last May. I would send the truck straight to the highway and meet him at the ElRancho for the best tacos in Baja. Lots of new fences with locked gates all over that area now.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by ehall]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2018 at 10:50 AM

Mikes to Simpson Rancho is no go F350. Just wondering why you would go that route. It is now owned by the Melings. SXS small jeep moto good run
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 03:33 PM

Forgive my ignorance - I have not lived in the USA since 1989 and only five years ago returned to the Western Hemisphere - but... what are red and green stickers? I ride a Honda dual sport on and off road in Baja, and might want to in the States sometime in California and/or Arizona. Apparently I could be in for a fine without the relevant sticker? What kind do I need? Where/how do I get them? I looked them up, but apparently not very well. What's the diff between a red and green? Is this only for California? No problem in Arizona? My bike has a regular MC plate.

Shed a little light on this one for me, please?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 05:48 PM

Stickers are for non-street legal bikes and ATVs. The fee is supposed to pay for the cost of off highway vehicle recreational parks, like Ocotillo Wells. I once had green stickers for a dune buggy and ATC 110.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:26 PM

Yes David the fee is supposed to pay to keep off road open, It is not it is used to close land. Proud to say I never paid for one I just plate all toys. pee on them.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Proud to say I never paid for one I just plate all toys. pee on them.

It makes sense that you are proud to take and never pay your share to society.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
Forgive my ignorance - I have not lived in the USA since 1989 and only five years ago returned to the Western Hemisphere - but... what are red and green stickers? I ride a Honda dual sport on and off road in Baja, and might want to in the States sometime in California and/or Arizona. Apparently I could be in for a fine without the relevant sticker? What kind do I need? Where/how do I get them? I looked them up, but apparently not very well. What's the diff between a red and green? Is this only for California? No problem in Arizona? My bike has a regular MC plate.

Shed a little light on this one for me, please?

California thing. All 2 strokes and some 4 strokes are red sticker. Most 4 strokes are green sticker.

In California at some of the OHV areas you can only ride red sticker bikes 6 months of the year, basically the warmer months are a no go some places on 2 strokes.

The sticker is essentially a license plate, you wrap it around your forks and is 5-6 letters, numbers. It has either a red or green band.

Dumb as f#ck, btw. Luckily the main place we ride up here doesn't have park ranger N-zis.

Video from our spot where the kids learned to ride before hitting Baja.

https://youtu.be/-yAWHtJ1jik

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I ride a Honda dual sport on and off road in Baja, and might want to in the States sometime in California and/or Arizona. Apparently I could be in for a fine without the relevant sticker?

As far as I know, my friend's dual sport is legal off road in CA and AZ, as long as he has the regular CA license plates needed for on road operation. He rides offroad all the time and has never had a problem with his "plated" bike.

666: I believe bajatrailrider means all his "plated" toys have regular plates, not red or green OHV stickers. So, he's paid his fees. That may be a biker (or, knuckledragger, as you so affectionately call us) term you are unfamiliar with.

John

[Edited on 12-1-2018 by John Harper]
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 08:16 PM

A small portion of highway plated vehicle's registration as well as highway gas tax goes into the state OHV fund. The state calculates what percentage (infinitesimal) highway vehicles spend offroad and how much "highway" fuel is burned off-road.

Bruce
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 08:19 PM

There are state lands in AZ that require a state issued usage permit regardless of registration be it Red or Green (CA reg.) or highway.

Bruce
MBSPRINTER

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 07:38 AM
Had The Same Concern

My son and I headed South for the Baja 1k and I had the same concern with him riding. Was told by several that it would be fine on the Highway. Of course, as with many things, if your anything less than respectful on the roads then trouble can be expected. I dropped the bike for him at CowPatty’s and he got some epic riding (highway and off-road) to Gonzaga. Even went through the Military CP and they waved him on.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.