Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boracare
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 01:52 AM
Boracare

I've got a termite infestation problem that my locals suggest I treat with diesel.

I'm seriously considering using Boracare.

Does anyone know where it can be purchased in Baja?

Thanks
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 05:21 AM

I had not heard of Bors Care before but I'll be ordering some for my casa after doing a little research on the internet.

"Efficacy tests show proven results. Research from a 12-year study by the USDA Forest Service and Mississippi State University’s Forest Products Laboratory showed wood treated with Bora-Care stopped termite attacks and prevented subterranean termites from tubing over treated wood. In addition, tests conducted at Louisiana State University have shown that Bora-Care applied to concrete surfaces will prevent Formosan termite tubing. Treated wood is also protected against carpenter ants, old house borers, powderpost beetles and decay fungi."

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 06:46 AM

i used it on the beams that support my porch roof 4 years ago during construction. it was applied to new clean lumber. 2x6 and 2x8 douglas fir.( years ago in belize i had doug fir go from new lumber to dust in several months)
i applied it with a garden sprayer. at the time it seemed to be my best option. so far so good...knock on wood. the days of getting "real" wood preserving chems are behind us. BTW, it has been stained using conventional wood stain twice since. i hope the efficacy described above is accurate.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:21 AM

Might also look for Tim Bor or Borrada D. They are all borates and work well. ;D
volcano
Nomad

Mood: always pining to be there

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 08:44 AM

I brought Boracare in from the states....rollered it on to palapa pole rafters....so far so good...did not want to do fumigations
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 09:07 AM

I am sorting and loading my itty bitty SUV today, but could find room for a gallon jug if you can't find it where you are. By the way, where are you?

I will be driving down through Nevada, then down hwy 5, and on to La Paz. Let me know very soon if you need me to pick up some!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 10:11 AM

I recently bought Boracare and used it on the place in Baja. We had subterranean termites which would make their mud tunnels over concrete (foundation) to get to the wood. According to reviews that I read, once concrete is sprayed with it the termites won't build tunnels over the concrete. Well, so far so good! I saturated the bottom plate and about the first 2 feet up on all the walls. The Boracare really soaks into the wood really well. I might use it every year or two just as a preventative measure. I highly recommend Boracare!

The gallon of Boracare mixes with a gallon of water for two gallons of solution. If you have a lot to do, I'd recommend getting two gallons of Boracare...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 02:21 PM

Right. I'm at Asuncion where I'm pretty sure I'm not getting ground termites. I haven't seen the tunnels and the walls are all cement so they would have to climb to the ceiling. Nasty little buggers, they are.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 03:03 PM

Termites are flying insects until they find a new place to colonize, they then shed their wings and dig in! They will patiently build mud tunnels over concrete surfaces to get where they need to go.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 03:34 PM

this is the ONLY stuff that works for termites
you can buy it at Home Depot in Mexico for around 400 pesos

IMG_1855.JPG - 84kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 05:19 PM

Is this the green stuff that we have in the states? I can't remember if that was the name of the stuff or not? I used the green stuff with good results.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 06:58 PM

the green stuff and coper...napthenate?(spelling and likely wrong)

there was some stuff called pentaclorelphenal (i'm sure that not even close to the real spelling.) it worked well...unavailable now,
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

i like the labeling. "PELIGRO" never fails to produce results. hopefully the desired ones!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

Have you tried the Boracare? Sounds like you have... Curious what your results were.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 01:26 PM

My results with Boracare were negative. It stops them for a while and they come back. Will try Termidel if I can find it.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
My results with Boracare were negative. It stops them for a while and they come back. Will try Termidel if I can find it.

Many thanks for the update, SkipJack. Good to know.
floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2020 at 02:21 PM

Used Botacare a year ago on active termite wood in solid door. Drilled some holes on the edges down and inward for penetration, and painted the dry surfaces...Termites gone, and still gone.....
I would say it works very well.....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.