Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Crazy idea? South on a Rhino
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 10:56 AM
Crazy idea? South on a Rhino

I've been thinking of buying a used Yamaha Rhino for use at our place on the near east cape. My quad is getting tired and it would be nice to have something I could haul a couple grand kids around in.

So here is the crazy part. I'm fantasizing about driving it down from Tecate ( or ??) this winter on dirt roads as much as possible. Seems like it would be a great adventure to camp and hotel it along the way.

I'm pretty much done with highway 1 after about 100 trips over the years. These days we fly. But seeing some new dirt road stuff i haven't seen would make a trip down memorable.

Naturally I would have the rig checked out thoroughly before attempting this and would expect to take at least a week+ for the journey. A couple hundred miles a day, max. And I'd have a buddy with me to share the pain.

My destination is on the east cape road near La Fortuna between San Jose del and Cabo Pulmo. My Yamaha quad has worked flawlessly for 14 years, so I hope a Rhino would as well. But yes, it would be a drag to get stranded. What could possibly go wrong? :biggrin:Route recommendations, advice and general comments welcome!

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:00 AM

Tom, sounds like fun... Get an inReach or Spot so we can follow or at least get you help if needed. The inReach and newer Spots allow you to communicate messages rather than just send your location and SOS.
Why not use Hwy. 5 and avoid all those towns and cities on Hwy. 1? You are not afraid of dirt roads!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:04 AM

Thanks David. Yes have driven Hwy 5 many times. Better way to go indeed.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:10 AM

Follow the route (or selected parts) of the Baja 1000 from northern Baja to La Paz. Pretty much dirt the whole way.

And, you could mark one off of the bucket list, '"run the Baja 1000".

From La Paz to the East Cape is easy. The coast road from Los Planes to Barriles. From there, I am sure that you know the way.

Buen Suerte.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:17 AM

great idea!

Harald Pietschmann
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 11:47 AM

I was spending the night once in San Ignacio and some folks in the room next to us had arrived from San Felipe on Rzrs. They said they did only about 5 miles on pavement. That's half the way there.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:00 PM

El Jefe little words of wisdom. Im a off road nut since late 60s to date. I did in fact buy a Rhino. Do NOT Buy one. Engine between driver and copilot seat. It makes so much racket it sounds like. Driving a passenger Van with engine cover off. Problem number two Engine heat to driver and copilot real bad. Pay more get the Razor only problem they have rubber belt drive in time breaks. So you need carry spare or change when worn.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:05 PM

El Jefe little words of wisdom. Im a off road nut since late 60s to date. I did in fact buy a Rhino. Do NOT Buy one. Engine between driver and copilot seat. It makes so much racket it sounds like. Driving a passenger Van with engine cover off. Problem number two Engine heat to driver and copilot real bad. Pay more get the Razor only problem they have rubber belt drive in time breaks. So you need carry spare or change when worn.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 12:11 PM

x2 on the rhino. Way too hot. I had an Arctic cat that was the same way too.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Thanks! This is the kind of feedback I need. Come to think of it I have a friend who has a Rhino and has to wear big ear protectors. OK, back to Craigslist.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 01:24 PM

Yes ED engine in back no racket no heat. The rhino rest your arm normal thing to do on engine cover. You have burned yourself after many mods. I did for more cooling sound proofing. All did not help very happy it is gone.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Yes ED engine in back no racket no heat. The rhino rest your arm normal thing to do on engine cover. You have burned yourself after many mods. I did for more cooling sound proofing. All did not help very happy it is gone.

I put in a big stereo. Only time I could hear it was when I was parked and engine off.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 02:04 PM

The Baja XL people say you can complete their whole event in a side by side (excluding the short USDA section)
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 05:29 PM

What a plan, go for it in a RZR as others have said! Had a rhino and they are way out dated, at least get an 800, or better a 1000 with power steering! The power steering is so nice and makes driving it much more fun. But whatever you get make the trip, with some planning you can do almost all dirt.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 06:19 PM

I agree with the RZR being a better choice. However I like my Ranger it can more easily carry tools, spare parts camp gear and gas. For the spare tire make sure it will fit the front and rear.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2018 at 07:03 PM

Nothing wrong with the rangers either, several guys I know have them and they hold up good. Rhinos are cheap but most have been beat pretty bad along with the other issues people pointed out.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 04:54 AM

Sounds like a great trip! I agree with earlier posts that you need some type of communication device beyond a cell phone (SPOT, inReach or Sat phone). Also, I would find out if the Rhino has any inherent design issues, and bring spare parts accordingly. The most common issues I see with UTVs are flat tires and broken CVT belts. Otherwise, have fun!
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 09:09 AM

Great input Guys! An InReach will be used for sure. And as far as the rig goes the Rhino is out. RZR or Ranger most likely. I'm kind of leaning to Ranger at this moment because it looks more like what I need. Hauling folks, beach chairs, cooler, umbrella and surf boards down to the beach will be it's new mission in life. No dune jumping and race suspension needed. Prices on used Ranger four-seaters are closer to what I want to spend as well.

Craig B

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 09:17 AM

These machines are great fun down here. A great point was made about the mid engine machines being noisy but they are also a pain to get to service points. The 800 RZR is a good example, have to take the back apart just to check the oil, and most of these machines do use a bit so it's important to check every morning.
Changing the belt is the same issue, a pain....Sounds like a great adventure though, we love taking multi day rides...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 10:06 AM

A trip like what you are considering for sure would be a great adventure. I have no experience owning Ranger/RZR type vehicles , but have about 26 years riding dirtbikes all over Baja on multi-day trips and day riding. Whatever rig you end up with, use it stateside in similar terrain for a several day trip (camping raises the demand for vehicle prep, etc) and see how it works for your needs and holds up mechanically before you set out on a Trans-Baja adventure. Work the kinks out before you rip out of Tecate or Mexicali....

I have witnessed a lot of folks coming up with a great idea for Baja adventuring and are woefully under-prepared/equipped....mechanically and strategically.

Hauling a cooler and a few lawnchairs to the beach is a whole different trip than pounding sand and rocks for days on end....

You have a dream that is worth operationalizing.....hope you do it.

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.