BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fall 2019 Adventure - Advice? Suggestions?
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 07:12 PM
Fall 2019 Adventure - Advice? Suggestions?

Hi. I am starting to prepare for my first Baja driving/camping/diving/fishing adventure. I plan to drive a Toyota Tacoma pick up with a roof top tent, generator, and camping equipment from Mexicali to Mulege, and eventually to the East Cape. I will be semi-retired at 59, and plan to have an open-ended time frame and itinerary. My main objectives will be great diving, catching a lot of fish, and having a life adventure. I traveled around the world for 9 months in my mid-30s, and have been working hard to set up for a "mid-life next adventure". I will be traveling by myself. I am planning to cross the border at Mexicali on a date TBD in September 2019. My two kids will be off to college, and it will be time for "the next stage of life". I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might want to convoy in that time period. I would be open to have someone travel with me (fun, nice, adventurous, honest woman from 45 to 55??). I am open to any advice, guidance, and suggestions. Thanks, Doug
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 07:36 PM

Start reading DavidK'S trip reports and maps, lot's of good info. So much Baja, so little time. The farther offroad you get the better the places to see. Might look at the area from bay of La out to El Arco, there are a couple of ranches and bays that are wort checking out.

[Edited on 11-28-2018 by advrider]
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 07:40 PM

Will do. Thank you!
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 08:50 PM

I retired in 2003 and took a little trip with friends from Tecate to Cabo in only 5 weeks! We camped, rode motorcycles, stayed in hotels and friends’ houses. We took another week to come north.
I’d been the length of Baja many times, but always pushed to return to get back to work. The trip was all about “taking that road” I’d always wondered about or going to that place I didn’t have time for previously. Many days were spent just because - we were worn out from the previous day’s ride or just that the weather and the place were perfect and we didn’t want to move on.
Take your time, enjoy !
Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2018 at 09:17 PM

Thank you. Should I have any concerns about potentially traveling solo?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 12:03 AM

Hi Doug,
Welcome to Baja Nomad!!

While many of us are happy to share our advice with you, no matter what, go with an open mind and be in no rush to get anywhere!

I presume your Tacoma is a 4x4? If not, do have a good air pump as deflating tires will greatly enhance your off-road ability and get you out of a sand stuck (or keep you from getting stuck).

I also post on Tacoma World forums (as several other Nomads do too). The Tacoma is very popular with Baja travelers and for good reason, they resist failure.

I recommend you go to the Baja Trip Reports forum here to gather details and see photos of places you may wish to visit.

Based on what you have said so far I think you would like to check out Bahia de los Angeles (gulf), Bahia Asuncion (Pacific), Bahia Concepcion (gulf), and Loreto (gulf) before getting to the East Cape as your desired destination.

Last year (2017) I had driven over 12,000 miles in Baja researching and updating previous drives to produce a new road guide for Baja Bound Mexican Auto Insurance. My trip reports contain a lot of info you can view that I gathered and they are numbered as Trip #1 through #7 in the Trip Reports forum. I had one trip this year (#8) to complete my info gathering.

I created 30 maps to provide a general view of most of the areas I have made road logs for and you can see them all in the Baja Nomad Road Conditions forum. Member TMW and I also produced a Kilometer marker guide for Nomad you will see in that forum too. All paved roads (nearly all) and some graded dirt roads have kilometer markers along them to help travelers. Use your trip odometer on other roads if you want to make notes or follow a road guide log.

Please ask away any questions.

Nomad also has a private messenger system called the U2U and you just click the U2U button which is one of the buttons that surround everyone's posts here to ask a private question. If you get sent a U2U, you will see a blue message link alerting you up in the top right by where your name is.

The Quote button is to have that person's post appear in a box that you want to include and respond to. Be sure you begin typing your reply AFTER the [ /quote] tag otherwise it breaks the quote box and will get jumbled with your reply... a common thing here.... but you can always EDIT your posts to fix or even delete them.

Again, welcome to Baja Nomad and I invite you to visit my website, www.vivabaja.com as I made it to help others get trip ideas and learn about places in Baja.

You can add photos after a minimum number of posts, just be sure they are sized to 800 pixels or less if they are coming from a photo hosting site. Attached photos from your PC onto Nomad have to be under 250 kbs to show here.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Doug Landolfi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2018 at 06:12 AM

Wow. Thank you so much!! I have been doing Internet research, reading some guide books and travel logs, and reviewing basic maps. I will DEFINITELY add your website to my resources. I will appreciate your expertise and guidance! Thanks, Doug

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.