Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Surf fishing advice
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 09:42 AM
Surf fishing advice

1st timer going to Baja mid January. Going to spend most of my time on the Cortes side, some on the Pacific too.

I’d like to start acquiring some lures and maybe a new rod and reel. Have an 8 foot steelhead rod but the action is soft at the tip. Guess I’m looking for an excuse to get a new Rig!,
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 09:51 AM

I like a 10 to 11 foot rod rated for for 1 to 3 oz. Most long rods are too stiff and are made for chunking out 6 to 8 ounce sinkers and bait. This is a tough rod to find.
You need at least a 6000 sized reel with the fastest retrieve rate possible , at minimum 40 inches per crank and more is better. This will help you go after sierras and other species that like fast moving lures.
Jansens down in cabo has what you need and great prices. Take some to time to watch his youtube videos to see how its done down here.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 09:58 AM

An 8 foot steelhead rod will be good and fun for shore fishing. 5/8 & 3/4 oz Castmaster & Crocodile lures to start. You may want to update to a good casting reel like the Curado 300 and cheap spinning outfits in 8 & 15 lb class. I like the braid lines maybe 20 or 30lb. In my area big surf fish are a rarity but nice to dream a bit with heavier gear.

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 10:07 AM

Thanks. Guess I should have clarified a bit, probably not going to go past Bay of Conception.

I think I have a couple of KM and Kroc. But light ones for high lake trolling 1/4 oz probably.

Anyone ever do any kind of bobber fishing? Or bottom gear.

I’m open to trying anything.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 10:19 AM

I surf fish all the time. here in Carlsbad. I personally like KMs, 3/8oz and 1/2oz. I use a 7 foot medium weight spinning rod with a Sedona 2500 reel, 8 lb. Trilene XL. Krocs are great from shore too!

A Carolina rig (egg sinker, swivel, leader, hook) for sandcrabs, GULP sandworms, MORF grubs, etc. works well also.

John
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 10:29 AM

Daiwa Lexa 300 HS with 50 lb braid and 20 lb fluoro leader paired with an old school 7' Lamiglass rod. Caught/released at Bahia de Los Angeles.

20181020_091452 (380x285).jpg - 153kB

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by 55steve]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I surf fish all the time. here in Carlsbad. I personally like KMs, 3/8oz and 1/2oz. I use a 7 foot medium weight spinning rod with a Sedona 2500 reel, 8 lb. Trilene XL. Krocs are great from shore too!

A Carolina rig (egg sinker, swivel, leader, hook) for sandcrabs, GULP sandworms, MORF grubs, etc. works well also.

John

Concur.
I've been using 6 foot trout rods off the jetties in Newport.
I've been throwing surface iron and it works ok.
Lucky craft in Sardine works.
I have a longer spinning rod too probably 7 feet and it works good..
I never need those super long shorefishing rods.
I have a few 8 foot bait rods for partyboat fishing.
I might try one of those soon and see how far I can cast out.
But generally the fish swim in close to the beach looking for food.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 10:45 AM

That's what I fish for too. But hook surf croakers alot.
A guy caught a decent stripe bass here a week or so back.
Rare.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:42 AM

Thank you so much. The advice helps a bunch!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:50 AM

Surf fishing for Corbina and Croaker was the big draw to camping on Baja's beaches for my folks. Good times and one of the reasons I got addicted to Baja... When we camped south of San Felipe, my dad saw the sand beaches as perfect corbina conditions (even though we typically fished for that species off San Diego's beaches like Del Mar).

Photo from 1967: Double hookup of corbina at what would later be named Bahia Santa Maria, 20 miles south of San Felipe.... We brought mussel for bait, pulled from the floating dock at Mission Bay.

66-67 pics 014.jpg - 65kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 11:53 AM

Nice!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:01 PM

Thanks!
Here I am in 1966 (8 1/2 years old), off Cabo San Lucas with my first dorado... We drove to Cabo from Tijuana, 800 dirt miles took 2 weeks to do it. Came back on the mainland using the new ferry to Mazatlan from La Paz.
Second pic is my dad and me at the ferry dock.

66-67 pics 006.jpg - 50kB 66-67 pics 007.jpg - 27kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:18 PM

Man, how awesome is that?! A picture IS worth a 1000 words.

I hope to catch my first one at 60.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:34 PM

If you can pick up Tom Miller's 1979 book, I think it is great for surf fishing location info...

Here are some more books that may be of interest...

Cortez-r.JPG - 38kB Fish Trap-r.JPG - 24kB

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by David K]

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:40 PM

Ebay is a great place to buy tackle for less than half price.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:46 PM

For surf fishing I like to use cut squid or the Berkley Gulp bates, especially the Crab. I have used red plastic worms at Laguna Manuel to catch Spot Fin Croakers.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:53 PM

get a rod with plenty of backbone, just tickle the bottom with your Kroc and keep the ice chest close.;)
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 12:57 PM

I like to use a floating, jointed rapala when it's shallow and rocky to keep from hanging up. I've picked up triggers and halibut in three feet of water. Blue and white works for me but since it works I haven't experimented with too many other colors. The bad part is both those fish like to chew up those lures. A Kroc is way more durable.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 01:21 PM

I've seen halibut in 1 foot of water. Sometimes right where your standing.
And strike as you're pulling your lure out for another cast.
It's wierd and cool. And surprising.

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 01:24 PM

Take some poppers too for the topwater! It is really exciting watching a fish hit the lure on the surface! In rocky areas, you will have less chance losing a lure to the rocks. Of course, once a fish has it in its mouth that is another story! :lol:

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.