Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Surf fishing advice
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 01:25 PM

We just had a ton of rain here so I think the rivers have flushed out and it's probably muddy.
I hope it's nice tomorrow.
Crystal Cove is a very good training ground for Baja!;)

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 02:26 PM

Crystal Cove! Oh the memories! I grew up there in house 30. Ahhh the good ol days:)
Since I fish only around Pt. Chivato I mostly use the light stuff. Bait should work. I just haven't had much luck around here but others have done well for trigerfish using wire leader hooks.
I can't get Photo bucket to copy IMGs ???

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 02:45 PM

Picked these up off ebay for cheap. I will let you know if any work.

20181015_165854-1008x756.jpg - 223kB
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 03:02 PM

Green one.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

ReTire
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2018 at 07:21 PM

Wow! To fish halibut in Oregon you have to go way out and super deep water. Books...I need more books!

Thank you again for all the tips..I really do appreciate it!
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
An 8 foot steelhead rod will be good and fun for shore fishing. 5/8 & 3/4 oz Castmaster & Crocodile lures to start. You may want to update to a good casting reel like the Curado 300 and cheap spinning outfits in 8 & 15 lb class. I like the braid lines maybe 20 or 30lb. In my area big surf fish are a rarity but nice to dream a bit with heavier gear.

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by Russ]

This^, especially on the Krocs in different sizes and colors.

Making America Great Again
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ReTire  
Wow! To fish halibut in Oregon you have to go way out and super deep water. Books...I need more books!

The fish they call “halibut” in baja is not same as pacific halibut fished in North Pacific.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The fish they call “halibut” in baja is not same as pacific halibut fished in North Pacific.

The North Pacific Ocean is defined as those ocean waters north of the Equator.

Whereas the South Pacific Ocean is from the Equator south.

So a California halibut (those in Baja) and the Pacific Halibut (those in the PacNorWest/AK)) are both dwellers in the North Pacific Ocean.

Range: California halibut occur from Magdalena Bay, Baja California, to the Quillayute River, British Columbia

Pacific halibut (Hippoglossus stenolepis) are large flatfish that can be found from the Bering Sea in Alaska to northern California.

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 08:57 AM

I would save the money on a fancy new surf rod / reel and get a cheap Sevlor inflatable kayak. You would need a Mexican fishing license, but just getting offshore a 100 yards or so can make all the difference; drop a hunk of squid straight down with a cheap big 5 rod, no lost lures. Of course if you like the aesthetic of fishing from shore more power to you.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2018 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I would save the money on a fancy new surf rod / reel and get a cheap Sevlor inflatable kayak.

I had one, sold it after using a few times. They don't track (no keel), are a nightmare in the wind (no draft), and with two people you end up doing spins every few minutes as the nose tracks off course so far you can't recover. We gave the folks on shore at Lake Mary a good laugh, for sure. God help you if a strong offshore wind comes up, better pray there's a distant shore to stop you before you end up in the middle of the SOC. Also, you have to watch the inflation pressure as the sun will heat up the chambers if you leave it laying on the beach. Save your money, it's a toy.

John
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I would save the money on a fancy new surf rod / reel and get a cheap Sevlor inflatable kayak.

I had one, sold it after using a few times. They don't track (no keel), are a nightmare in the wind (no draft), and with two people you end up doing spins every few minutes as the nose tracks off course so far you can't recover. We gave the folks on shore at Lake Mary a good laugh, for sure. God help you if a strong offshore wind comes up, better pray there's a distant shore to stop you before you end up in the middle of the SOC. Also, you have to watch the inflation pressure as the sun will heat up the chambers if you leave it laying on the beach. Save your money, it's a toy.

John

All true, John, also sharp spines from fish can easily puncture the thin skin. Still, after casting for surf fish with varying amounts of success I got a Sevlor and was able to venture a short distance off the beach and access a greater variety. To be honest I don't fish much any more, after the time and effort and hassle of cleaning them and getting rid of the guts I decided it was easier just to buy fish. I was at a fish camp on the SOQ and I gave a guy a beer one morning and later that afternoon he returned with a big fillet for me. I asked him what kind of fish and he said "Tot- " uh, THAT fish (with the swim bladder). Not sure if that is a generic name for a big white fish or if it really was one, he seemed unaware of prohibitions. Cooked it a la Veracruz. It had a mild flavor, though it was a bit mushy. Before anyone gets all excited this was way far south of the Vaquita protection area.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 07:47 PM
Surf Fishing Advice

1st timer going to Baja mid January. Going to spend most of my time on the Cortes side, some on the Pacific too.

There is very little surf on the Cortez side. The beaches have no breaking waves and it's usually rocky below the low tide line where there is a sandy beach.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2018 at 08:29 PM

I use a 12' Surf Caster from Jansen in Cabo. http://www.jansen.mx/esp/.

60-85 gr, Sardina or Matador, 20-25 lb test, Berkley FireLine fused crystal superline. North of Todos to La Pastora, South to Migrino, pre-dawn.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 12:48 AM
Lexa HD

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Daiwa Lexa 300 HS with 50 lb braid and 20 lb fluoro leader paired with an old school 7' Lamiglass rod. Caught/released at Bahia de Los Angeles.

Nice. I just bought a Lexa 300 and 400 HD on eBay...they were running a great deal. Also got two 300 yard spools of 60# dark green J Braid...probably a little heavy for surf fishing, but thought they may be good for kelp cutting on Pacific side. Plan on finishing them with flouro leaders...good to know this reel will work for surf fishing.

Which is the HS model? I'm pretty sure the HD has the stainless gears...and I got the 6.3:1 ratio.

[Edited on 11-30-2018 by 55steve]
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 07:10 AM

There are some east cape fishing reports that are helpful. Check out thebajaponyexpress.com recent issues for the most recent ones.
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 11:23 AM

Lee got it right if you want to have some success. Most successful traditional MX surf fishers (handlines) are there before the sun rises and off the beach an hour after sunrise. Need to cast as far out as possible with a super fast retrieve.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 11:23 AM

Nice day here in Newport. Maybe throw a lure today.
Need to get down to Crystal Cove and pretend I'm in Baja for a few hours.
Going to check out the camping too. Gotta practice camping. I can always go home of I get cold.

geronimo21
Junior Nomad

Mood: A Baja State of Mind

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 07:13 PM

www.tides4fishing.com

The guys at Charkbait in Huntington Beach swear by fish activity indicated by solunar calendars like the one above...say they can even predict customer traffic by them. Tight lines.

[Edited on 12-4-2018 by geronimo21]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-3-2018 at 10:02 PM

Thanks ... brings back some great memories .. .
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 11:40 AM
Lots of action on this so i thought I would join

Distance is not what its all cracked up to be! Halibut can be caught on both sides in knee deep water chasing bait and on the cold side jumping often.
These pic's were taken on the cold side using K/m's for the Butts andd squid for the WSB in very shallow water.........use 3/8 blue/crhome K/M's for many kinds of fish on both sides.
7' rod with either spinner/bait reels and 10# is plenty.....is just a start with but will get you going......have a great trip
Rob

[Edited on 12-4-2018 by baitcast]

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.