BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wandering thru La Plazuela Labastida
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 09:10 AM
Wandering thru La Plazuela Labastida

As I wander thru my little gallery, organizing the last shipment received from Oaxaca, photos are reviewed for a very special to my heart exhibition I am putting together for the artist of Oaxaca.

I wander thru pictures of those last days in the city; walking thru the Artist garden saying my Adioses to Antonio Mejia, Maestro Federico Flores, Raymundo Cortez, Santiago Martinez, Don Adalberto, Don Alfredo, even poor David El Bastido, each had a hand in forming who I am today. These very special men who took me under their wings, each passed on a little lesson, some of it was about techniques in creating art, much was just about being a humane being, such a complete honor to have sat on the park bench with each and everyone of them, to learn their art and perspective of life.

Will, I go back to that garden soon? You bet your sweet bippies, I will! Even though, I love my home here in Baja, there is much beauty every where my eyes land, I can sleep with the door open, I do not in anyway feel unsafe here. I have no need here to carry my money tucked away in a little purse, stashed away in my bra, it can be in the front of my pack, and no one will bother it. Every day is so full of stuff to do; I never stop running since I got home. I am loved and protected and live in one of the sweetest places on the planet.

Still, I am sitting here dreaming of returning to Oaxaca. A place where my art is fully understood, where I have been offered the opportunity to study under master's that I have an infinite respect for, those same people whose art is developed, honed, and accepted as some of the finest living artist in the America's today, these same artist are giving me this chance to learn from them, how did I get so lucky? It is certainly not every day one is given such an outstanding opportunity. Ah yes, What an honor to know the artist in El Jard?n de Artistas de Oaxaca.

[Edited on 3-14-2005 by Eli]
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2005 at 10:08 AM

Your post are so vivid I feel as I am right there with you. Thanks for all the Wonderful Post. I really enjoy them. Cynda
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 09:06 AM

It's nice to hear from you again, Eli, and nice to know you're enjoying home again for now. You light shines brightly.

I'll be in your area mid-April through May and am looking forward to visiting your gallery and perhaps even the possibility of our saying an in person hello.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 3-15-2005 at 12:32 PM

Cynda, thank you for the kindness of your thoughts.

The last of the bubble wrap is finally stashed away. There is still so much that I want to do to make this place sing again. It has been kind of just humming along down here in the gallery since I have been gone. Now that I am back, I want to crank up to a full blown aria for the duration.

Several friends now gently look on me, making me reflect now what.

There is Antonio's kid eating the watermelon as he sits on the curb, his pants all raggedy and stained with the juice, his eyes are off into another world, he is taken away into space of cold sweet crunching by the wet red sensation in his mouth.

Antonio's guardian angel sittin on a cloud with his head bent down into his hand tired with weary of all our antics, he is about given upon us.

There are 3 tiny landscapes to remind me of Federico's immeinse love for paint and canvas, he has spent over 50 years now mastering the world of colors and textures, certainly one of Oaxaca's greatest living artist. Someday I will have one of his principal works.

Then there is Santiago, his work is sitting in an envelope on my desk, in the end he entrusted me with 10 of his smallest minor pieces, great examples of what he and Oaxaca have to offer the world of fine unigue folk art, way fun stuff, he is a completly his own master. I have already sold one piece, the rest will go on the display board I am putting togeather. Undoubtly, someday Santiago be as famous thru out Mexico as he already is in Oaxaca.

Armando's "After Harvest" represents his Oaxcan indian roots. Also, joinging me are His silly rock faces sitting staring at me from all over on the different shelves they now inhabit with their tiny eyes looking every which way, a few are happy, some are disgruntled, some with their eyes rolled up wondering who is sittin on thier head. There is one named grumpy that I love to tease, he is always in just a grump, someday I am going to get that stick to laugh, you'll see, jejeje.

I gaze of Xot's saxaphone player with the flowers coming out of the horn, this piece reflects her intense but at the same time danity clean love of lines and color, her perfectionisum.

Oh yeah, I am truly honored to be sitting in the company of these friends that have come to live with old dear friends from here in Baja that grace this little world. All individuals, a completly eclectic world of art, there is no clashing, no arguing here, all is peace and color and form in Galeria Los Angeles.

Natalie Ann,

O que! Must admit, the little kid that lives inside these middle aged bones got a chill up the spine and did a little hop up with the clap of both feet in exicitment upon reading that I might actually get the opportunity to meet you. Please u2 me when you know you will be in town, I don't want to miss this chance to sit down in the flesh with you.

Thank You all who give this post a smile, good magic in a smile, you know, Sara

[Edited on 3-15-2005 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.