Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: MMJ in San Felipe?
wolfpack

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 07:18 PM
MMJ in San Felipe?

Traveling there for a month with someone who has the MMJ card in AZ. Since crossing the border with it is highly advised against - is it possible to purchase there in San Felipe?

I've read that the laws allow for 5 grams of marijuana so this would be legal?

Traveling to Texas through border patrol we've always just taken it with us, made sure the car wasn't smelly and been polite with the agents. Having dogs in our car has been helpful too, and we've never had issues even with the Border Patrol K-9's present.

Any personal experiences with this?

find what you love and let it kill you
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 08:01 PM

I assume this is weed card? While laws have been relaxed
in Mex, not sure this applies to tourists nor doubt the Mex
Army at the Hwy checkpoints have been advised. Still illegal
under Fed US law, can't figure that one out. Never seen
a Mex drug sniffing dog. I would be paranoid with weed in Mex,
one would probably face a stiff amount of mordida $$$,
never been offered weed in San Felipe, but I'm sure it is
present

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 09:12 PM

About six moths ago my pot-head friend and I drove from TJ to Todos Santos . Well at a few of the federally's check points they were all over us asking "where is the POT" and searching away.
Luckily they didn't find any.

I have heard that it was legal also (for small amounts) BUT I believe that if you get caught with any you will be paying a high price.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 12:00 PM

At the 1000 this year one of our chase guys was at the 3 Poles check point in SF. They found a little bud between the seat and center consul and when he picked up the mag light that was there, he noticed it wasn't quite as heavy as it should be. Bingo, the whole thing was stuffed with weed. About 15 minutes of interrogation ensued along with a pocket check which his back up stash was found too. They were convinced they had found everything after unloading the whole bed of the truck and going thru all bags and boxes and they were on their way. He figured no paperwork or arrest was made because the military guys needed to up their stash. YMMV of course.

On a separate note, going from SF to Ensenada this past May, I did get the dog treatment at Ojos. I've seen a dog at check points before, I think it has always been the same dog, but that is the first time I have seen or heard of a dog search down there.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
At the 1000 this year one of our chase guys was at the 3 Poles check point in SF. They found a little bud between the seat and center consul and when he picked up the mag light that was there, he noticed it wasn't quite as heavy as it should be. Bingo, the whole thing was stuffed with weed. About 15 minutes of interrogation ensued along with a pocket check which his back up stash was found too. They were convinced they had found everything after unloading the whole bed of the truck and going thru all bags and boxes and they were on their way. He figured no paperwork or arrest was made because the military guys needed to up their stash. YMMV of course.

On a separate note, going from SF to Ensenada this past May, I did get the dog treatment at Ojos. I've seen a dog at check points before, I think it has always been the same dog, but that is the first time I have seen or heard of a dog search down there.

Oh so thats why they are always hitting me up for my flashlight:light::lol:
wolfpack

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 03:00 PM

So it sounds like on the southbound route from Phoenix to San Felipe we most likely won’t encounter dogs but of course it could always be the first time.
My travel partner just wants to bring the wax medical oil anyways. If we get stopped at the border crossing by CBP I’ve heard it’s just referred to the Attorney Gen of that state who typically does not prosecute in such cases anyways. Once in Mexico since it’s decriminalized for small amounts anyone know the worst case outcome?
It’s frustrating that there is no official data on this...
I will make note to keep it out of the Mag Lite :)

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Once, out of a several hundred checkpoints, they walked a dog around my truck. I didn't have anything to set it off but at the time I assumed it was just for show and they were trying to get a rise out of me. I would think if they actually had trained dogs we'd see them more often. Much more efficient than peeking into an ice chest.
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 08:21 PM

Just be safe, Don't bring it . Unless you like Mexican prisons.
wolfpack

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  
Just be safe, Don't bring it . Unless you like Mexican prisons.

Thanks Percebuzr, that really cleared things up.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 08:00 PM

Wolfpack, you need to realize that whatever the laws are in Mexico, with regards to possession, there is little recourse if a cop or a checkpoint military commander decides to enforce laws the way he wants. It happens.

It's very difficult to get any certainty in Mexico. That's part of the problem and part of the appeal.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:58 AM

I'm guessing you would be OK with small amounts of edibles or oils that had no labels. The authorities would be looking for bud unless they are getting wise to gringos bringing down a different kind of stash.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Wolfpack, you need to realize that whatever the laws are in Mexico, with regards to possession, there is little recourse if a cop or a checkpoint military commander decides to enforce laws the way he wants. It happens.

It's very difficult to get any certainty in Mexico. That's part of the problem and part of the appeal.

I'm thinking this isn't one of those times where it's not better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission...

Making America Great Again
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wolfpack  
Traveling there for a month with someone who has the MMJ card in AZ. Since crossing the border with it is highly advised against - is it possible to purchase there in San Felipe?

I've read that the laws allow for 5 grams of marijuana so this would be legal?

Traveling to Texas through border patrol we've always just taken it with us, made sure the car wasn't smelly and been polite with the agents. Having dogs in our car has been helpful too, and we've never had issues even with the Border Patrol K-9's present.

Experienced Baja travelers and residents have told you....it's a very dicey proposition to transport dope into Mexico.

Don't do it and tell your traveling companion to find another ride if he insists on packing dope in any form in YOUR vehicle.

Dope stashed away in some "hidden" package screams SMUGGLER on detection.
Smuggling is a serious gig, be it a 46" LCD TV or a sack of dope.

You CAN lose your vehicle. lose all your money and up to losing your freedom of movement.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:42 AM

is it possible to purchase there in San Felipe?

This experience is not "personal", and not very recent, but my co-worker in Anchorage spent thousands getting his son out of a Mexican jail (not San Felipe)!

The son arranged to purchase pot from a street dealer, who brought it to his hotel room. Upon leaving the hotel, he was arrested on the street, and after a discussion they went to a bank instead of jail.

After maxing out his available funds, he was sent on his way, and the cop even gave him back the pot. Cop number two arrested him right away and since he no longer had any funds to tap into, the second arrest involved jail, a judge, a lawyer. and a whole lot of hassle!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wolfpack

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:57 AM

Was this in TJ or Rocky Point?
I had a friend who on her 21st birthday had a very similar experience in Rocky Point. She arranged to buy it from bartender who sent a person to her hotel room. After buying the MJ my friend was smoking a cigarette on her balcony and “police” were pounding on the door. When she didn’t open it the hotel staff opened it for them.
This was a group of 3 - 21 year old girls that seemed to be set up by the bartender. So when people have advised to purchase it in Mexico I’m not going to take that route.
Also as a disclaimer (I’m sure this doesn’t matter either way if arrested) I’m not trying to smuggle a large amount - this is <5 grams for personal use of THC oil to be consumed via vaping over the course of a month long trip. My spouse was in a bad auto accident requiring eye surgery when the airbag deployed to remove his cornea and has some visual/neuro issues that cause pain with different lighting situations.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
`
is it possible to purchase there in San Felipe?

This experience is not "personal", and not very recent, but my co-worker in Anchorage spent thousands getting his son out of a Mexican jail (not San Felipe)!

The son arranged to purchase pot from a street dealer, who brought it to his hotel room. Upon leaving the hotel, he was arrested on the street, and after a discussion they went to a bank instead of jail.

After maxing out his available funds, he was sent on his way, and the cop even gave him back the pot. Cop number two arrested him right away and since he no longer had any funds to tap into, the second arrest involved jail, a judge, a lawyer. and a whole lot of hassle!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:06 AM

Is it just impossible to not go on a Baja trip, without using???

Seriously, Baja is a "high" all on its own... no illegal drugs needed.

Mexico is a different country, so to expect your "legal" pot to be ok to have and use in Mexico is very far-fetched.

Why risk all that can (and has) happened by violating their laws or giving cops there an open opportunity to ruin your trip?

Baja has been my "drug" of choice for my entire adult life and fun for many years before that!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:09 AM

What could possibly go wrong???
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:11 AM

The set-up was not TJ, or Rocky point, it was one of the mainland Pacific tourist spots further south.

What was amazing to me, is that the kid accepted the pot back from a known shake down artist!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 09:05 AM

I have an idea. Leave the hippie lettuce at home.

Making America Great Again
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2018 at 10:32 AM

You can probably purchase it down there. Why would you risk being caught traveling with it?

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.