Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gasoline on Xmas eve? Ejido Villa Jesus Maria and San Ignacio
mb300

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 07:34 PM
Gasoline on Xmas eve? Ejido Villa Jesus Maria and San Ignacio

xmas eve - traveling from Catavina to San Ignacio (236 miles)
xmas day - San Ignacio to Loreto (170 miles)

My bike only has 200 mile range.

Assuming that there will be gas at El Rosario (but not at Catavina), I will be able to make it to the Pemex at Ejido Villa Jesus Maria --- will it be open on the 24th?

The next fill up on the 24th would be at San Ignacio -- if they are open at 5pm on the 24th then I'm all set, I won't need gas on the 25th.

If the Pemex at San Ignacio is closed, any recommendations where I can buy fuel in town or in Santa Rosalia?

Thanks in advance.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 07:55 PM

Pushing it as the mileage from El Rosario to Villa Jesus Maria is right at 200 miles +/- a few feet

You might want to top off in Vizcaino, south of Guerrero Negro before you get to San Ignacio
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 08:00 PM

I would think the station would be open but if not stop by the B&B on you left has you head to the town square, talk to Gary or Terry. I think they just opened the old station in Catavina, if not barrel gas should be available.
mb300

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 08:09 PM

I will bring a 1 gallon jug with me to be safe, and if I slow down I can bump up the range a little too. Either way it will be cutting it closer than I prefer.

Good call on filling up at Vizcaino-- for some reason google maps didn't show a gas station there until I zoomed in further. Thank you.

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by mb300]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-4-2018 at 09:32 PM

Several free lancers sell gas out of drums at Catavina
100% guarantee that gas will be available there
Any day of the year!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 06:59 AM
top off in between

The vendor at Bay of LA Road would be a good choice to top off, if he's not there then ten miles south at Punta Prieta. If the vendor isn't out at the street in Punta Prieta then ask around for him. You'd get to Guerrero Negro of Viziano from there. A dollar a gallon more is worth the peace of mind.

John M
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 07:35 AM

all gas stations should be open regular hours as lots of people travel during the holidays and need gas....it's like an essential service.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 07:43 AM

in the past, i have used 2-liter soda bottles to carry a bit of extra fuel. i can then jettison them when the fuel tank level allows. during my career in aviation, i always said "the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 09:08 AM

Gas is sold many places including:
CataviƱa, L.A. Bay junction, and the town of Punta Prieta. Vizcaino has three gas stations. The third is a couple miles south of town.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mb300

[*] posted on 12-5-2018 at 03:11 PM

Thank you everyone for the info -- I feel a lot more confident that we'll be able to get thru the gap!

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by mb300]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 09:05 AM

something to keep in mind is that I have seen stations run out of gas over the Xmas holidays because they only order a certain amount and apparently dont order more to supply the huge increase in vehicular traffic over the holidays.

I have seen the GN stations run out at New Years and lots of people were stuck there with a super long line of people waiting for gas that ruined their New Years party plans....sooooo....moral of the story is that one should make sure to fill up your tanks whenever you can over the holidays.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 09:12 AM

Not sure what you're riding but none of the dozens of road bikes I've owned couldn't make 200 miles. I have run out of gas a few times but it was due to a problem between the seat and the handlebars, not the bike. Someone always comes by, especially in Baja. Ride on. BTW, both stations will be open and will have gas.

[Edited on 12-6-2018 by weebray]

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-6-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Not sure what you're riding but none of the dozens of road bikes I've owned couldn't make 200 miles. I have run out of gas a few times but it was due to a problem between the seat and the handlebars, not the bike. Someone always comes by, especially in Baja. Ride on.

Lots of bikes don't have 200 mile range. My KLR has a 7 gallon tank and 300 mile range but my GSX1100g is good for only about 170. I also sometimes ride my '81 CB750 to Baja and it also only is good for around 175 miles. Neither my V-65 Sabre or XS1100 would make 200. My old GS850g had pretty good range at around 200. But as you say, gas is always available. I've bought a gallon or two from back country ranches and fishcamps when needed.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:00 AM

my 1150GSA with an 8 gallon tank is only good for 325 miles...if you ride somewhat conservatively.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 08:13 AM

remember you can NEVER run out of gas if you have pesos in your pocket

all cars have gas in the tank and its for sale

the station may run out on holidays...buy gas when ever you can

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 09:25 AM

A good rule is to fill up when you arrive at your destination as they may be out when you want to leave. This is important at places like L.A. Bay!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:47 AM

Hogwash, all of it. Any good "road" bike gets 200 mph. If it doesn't it don't belong on the "road". This includes most Harleys.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 10:57 AM

MPH or MPG......:lol:

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Hogwash, all of it. Any good "road" bike gets 200 mph. If it doesn't it don't belong on the "road". This includes most Harleys.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 12:17 PM

i have owned probably 100 motorcycles since i was a kid, i have never had one do either 200MPG or 200MPH. typo? or have i been riding the wrong motorbikes?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2018 at 12:31 PM

A note of caution concerning gas. If you have a reserve section in your gas tank run on it for a while after a fill up to make sure you don't have water in the tank. Several years ago I was riding my XR500 in the San Felipe area, I was alone, and when I ran low on gas I flipped the petc-ck over to reserve and soon after the engine died. After I figured out what was going on I drained the water and was on my way.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.