Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: BOLA camping????
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 03:53 PM
On the way into Archelon Camp

While large groups and excessive alcohol tend to diminish the message, you'll find this near the entrance at Archelon.

In six days there over two trips only 2 OHVs passed by on the beach. Sometimes quiet is good.

John M

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by John M]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 03:55 PM

Tonio at Archelon can arrange boat, fishing or whatever you wish

He also never turned down a glass of really good wine,
one for Bety too, while you are at it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 04:20 PM

I do love the silence! We live in what is called little Napa and have access to a lot of good wine. I don't drink much of it, but I will take a couple of bottles for making new friends. Keep the tips and advice coming, I will do a trip report when I return...
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 06:38 PM

Agree Archelon and if not avail Rafa Cuevas
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 07:30 PM

Rafa Cuevas, never heard of it?
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:23 PM

Rafael for the boat and guide if the one at Archelon is in use.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Looking at 4-5 days of camping over Christmas in BOLA. I've only stayed in hotels and ridden past a few of the campos. So what say the Nomads, Daggetts, Arechelons Raquales and Larrys? The wife would like a flush toilet and a warm shower but will live without if it's a good spot. I've Never really had time to explore much so what is worth checking out? I've ridden out to La Gringa and campo gecko and seen the museum but that's about it. I'll be looking at some of DavidK's reports for sure.
Don't want to go any farther South and spend to much time driving and not relaxing.

There isn't really anything much farther South. The Southernmost hotelito would be Diaz, a whole 3 miles of a good paved road from Archelon. Not a bad location, btw, inexpensive, no A/C but you don't need A/C in winter. I understand that Gecko is no more, it's all long-term lease now.

Archelon doesn't have a hotel. Only 2 cabins and one house for rent. Cabins are OK. House is in the back, if you need that much space inside, from the main floor you will have a view of a camp toilet, though 2nd floor bedroom must have a nice view if they finished it. Plus, several palapas but they are palapas, not hotel rooms or cabins, flush toilets and showers are very close but you share it with few dozen other campers. There is less privacy in palapas, and Christmas time the camp is going to be packed. I'm not sure you want palapas, better consult with DW on this subject. Archelon palapa is just a shack on the beach with no front wall.

Daggets hotel is comparable to Diaz both in price and amenities, though camp layout is not same good. Diaz hotel is facing the beach, Daggets hotel is facing parking, storage and RV area. There are also cabins in Daggets, behind the storage area with no view. Daggets have A/C, but you won't need it. Daggets also have palapas for car campers and RV, cheaper than Archelon palapas, not same good as Archelon palapas and less privacy yet.

Can't say about Rachel and Larry - if all DW is asking is a flush toilet, then Diaz and Daggets would have it and probably at a lower cost.

R&L, Daggets and Archelon are next to one another, Diaz in at the South end of the main street.

Ah, yes - if you are looking for quiet, Archelon cabins (or their house) is probably the best. They seem to have less tolerance to loud drinking parties than Daggets. Though on Christmas camps and hotels will be packed with all kinds of people.

[Edited on 12-10-2018 by Alm]
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 01:10 PM

Alm, thanks for all of the info! I think we are going to try Archelon first and see how it is. We have a small Austrillian tent trailer so a palpa would just be an extra and not required. I was wandering how busy it get at Christmas and hope it isn't crazy? Thanks for taking the time to reply....
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 01:40 PM

Busy = all palapas, cabins and rental house will be full. With (usually) more than one person in each palapa. I believe there are 7 palapas in Archelon, all are on the beach, spaced about 20ft from one another. Some could play loud music, some could have a drinking party of 5-7 and could get loud enough without music - you know, when everybody is talking at the same time 'cause everybody is drunk and thinks that he has something interesting or funny to say even when he doesn't. Usually all is quiet after 11 pm.

Come early in the day, some palapas are better than others.

[Edited on 12-10-2018 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 01:53 PM

What is nice is that Archelon is the first of s few campos, and perhaps the nicest... So, if it is full or you want to check the others, just continue north...

Mileage from Traffic circle/ sailboat monument:
1.3 Campo Archelon.
1.6 Camp Daggett's... is next and has both cabins and motel rooms along with palapas. This place does get filled and 'busy'.
2.9 La Ventana... has palapas but they are not right on the beach.
5.8 End of Pavement
6.9 La Gringa (road junction). Open camping on a sand beach, a gravel beach on the bay and to the east, a gravel beach on the open gulf. To the north, the road goes to a rocky beach in 2.1 miles once a camp called 'Colorado'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 02:01 PM

Punta Gringa is the "town beach". Mexicans like partying too. On Christmas you won't be the only one there, unless it's cold and windy - which does happen in December.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 08:29 PM

Crazy, I did't think Christmas would be that busy. We stayed in Fan Felipe a few years back on Christmas and it was dead? I probably won't get there until Sunday so we will see how I we do on a space? Should I try to get one a head of time?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 08:37 PM

c-c-c-cold! go camp in san quintin!:coolup:
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 08:53 PM

On Sunday there will be some campers there since Saturday, most of them will stay until Xmas Tuesday.

No worries. This hole of a town has plenty of hotels and camps, you'll find something. There is a big semi-abandoned camp just before Archelon. Forgot the name. Cost $5. No palapas, no showers, not sure about toilets - after the big flood of 2014 the owners have lost interest in maintaining it, but will be happy to charge you.

Yes, it's dead now in Baja 350 days a year. Wilderness has lost its appeal and/or have been developed, drugs have made it to Baja, US and Canada didn't completely recover since 2008 and probably never will - 3rd world and the "2nd biggest economy" won't let this happen. Didn't want to touch this subject, sorry.
Xmas to New Year, and Easter week are still busy. Plus, a few days of tha desert car racing - in fact it's worse than X-mas because not only camps are full but also main street is closed for traffic.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 08:56 PM

I sent them a Facebook message so I will see what they say. I'll find somewhere to camp, there is a lot of desert for that!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 09:12 PM

Facebook, for palapas? you gotta be kidding :) These shacks are first come first serve, too much hassle for camp owner to reserve palapas. Cabins and rental house are up for reservations.

Archelon own the land from the sea to the main road - though it's mostly a desert, with one little clearing half a mile from the sea. 6 or 7 palapas on the beach might get full, but Tony and his mother Bety will find you some spot. One palapa is off the coast, right behind the "new" shower cabin, on a busy day it will be quieter than those on the coast, you'll have no neighbors. There are 2 shower cabins, "old" and "new".
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
c-c-c-cold! go camp in san quintin!:coolup:

Weather is looking mild, but what do you know in that area? Never spent anytime in that area at all.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 09:35 PM

I figured I would give the palapa reservation a shot just for the heck of it, LOL. There is a lot of space out at La Gringa to.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 10:34 AM

Alm, you were right, the whole place is booked! They said they could find us a spot to park.... I guess people do book the palapas... We will get there early and do a little looking around and see what we can find?
dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 12:03 PM

I've pulled my little Australian camper (Kamparoo Cub) into Archelon a few times when all the palapas were booked. Always found room to set up. Never had an issue with noise either. Flush toilets, hot showers and gracious hosts. Spent more then a few Xmas eating turkey in Bety and Antonios house at their annual pot luck Xmas dinner.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.