Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Where to go camping
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 07:31 PM

The weather seems to be more stable on the Pacific side at this time of year than the Cortez side. It can blow 15-20 on the Cortez several days before calming down and ruin the camping of a 5 day trip. If you hit it right Sebastian or San Basilio can be heavenly. I would have a backup plan and make a decision based upon wind forecasts.

There are some nice beaches north of BOLA, Punts Final had a nice camping beach, Calamajue has a nice isolated cove on the south side, the opposite shore of Concepcion is supposed to be good with a dirt road that crosses to the Cortez for total isolation.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
If you rip down the beach from San Juanico towards Gregorio, there is a cool spot just before the tide pools start by Gregorio. Up in the dunes. Yu can still walk to the tide pools and point to fish halibuts and snooks. .takes a little to get up into the dunes, but it sure is nice

Sounds fun! Lots of good stuff in that area

When we camped there, the vigilancia took us to the point on the north side of the river mouth. They needed air in their truck tire and I helped them out. Each day, they would swing by with fish for us. Cool guys. This was about 10 years ago. How far from the river mouth?

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 09:08 AM

This is maybe a mile or so north of where you actually go around the point on the beach. That would put it ,what, a couple of miles north of the rivermouth? It's been a long time for me as well. Like four Toyota trucks ago:)

Have fun!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
This is maybe a mile or so north of where you actually go around the point on the beach. That would put it ,what, a couple of miles north of the rivermouth? It's been a long time for me as well. Like four Toyota trucks ago:)

Have fun!

Thanks! Looking forward to getting back down there.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2018 at 07:54 PM

Has anyone camped on the north side of Laguna San Juanico? Looks like some nice spots further up the rio away from the fishing village. Thinking it might work out for kayak fishing.

North of the river mouth along the beach looks like it might be pretty windy.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 03:38 PM

Laguna San Juanico?? Never heard of that, have been all over that area looking for fishing. Cadaje is the best
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
If you like isolation and you've never been to Timbabichi I suggest taking a run out there. A couple of nice beaches especially to the north. Visit with family members that built the Hacienda there. Interesting history. The drive down the mountain going in and out is interesting but not for the faint of heart.

I'd love to head out there. I'll wait to head out there until I have a buddy vehicle, though. El Gato Loco want to check it out?

2019 yes! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 06:25 PM

I must have the name wrong. It is the large rio 30 km south of SAN Juanico. On google earth it calls it La Bocana. I guess there must be two.

Anyone camped on the north side of the rio there ?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 06:53 PM

There are many La Bocanas... everywhere a river or lagoon meets the sea, it seems. Also where a canyon opens up is called a bocana.

I think you are describing where the La Purísima river (near where Arroyo San Gregorio joins it) meets the ocean? Punta San Gregorio and Boca San Gregorio and Estero San Gregorio are listed at that spot, on the topo map.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 08:29 PM

Roger that David.

Have you been down there? Looks like it might be good fishing.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 08:50 PM

I have fished that for snook, pargo, grouper. Small fish but lots of bites

Pretty soft getting in there..4x4
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2018 at 09:02 PM

Thanks Tomas

I have always wanted to stop there for a night and check it out.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 03:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Roger that David.

Have you been down there? Looks like it might be good fishing.

I only drove by that area, crossed the river, and noted roads off the San Juanico paved highway. The one at Km. 43 seems to be the one to the south side of the estero (bocana) of the river. I didn't note one for the north side:

Mile 0 (Km. 1) San Juanico at the San Ignacio road junction. As there are stretches of road without kilometer markers, utilize your odometer for this road log.

9.6 (Km. 16.5) A direct road to La Purísima joins here. It is approximately 20 miles unpaved and 4 miles paved to La Purísima from here.

22.7 (Km. 37.5) Crossing of the La Purísima River.

26.0 (Km. 43) Road north to Estero San Gregorio.

30.2 (Km. 49.5) Junction with Las Barrancas paved road. Las Barrancas is 1 km. to the west. A fishing village that was the location of a German-Mexican solar energy project. A paved road goes 4.5 miles east to meet the Insurgentes/La Purísima highway.

Of interest, this highway and the one through Todos Santos to Cabo are both measured North to South with the kilometer markers. Other Baja Sur highways are measured from south to north!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 12:50 PM

I must have the name wrong. It is the large rio 30 km south of SAN Juanico. On google earth it calls it La Bocana. I guess there must be two.

Anyone camped on the north side of the rio there ?

That's the area I'm referring to.

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 01:04 PM

OK

Thanks Baja boy. I will see if I can t get my camper stuck up there north of the river mouth. Sounds like those tidal pools could be good fishing.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 01:46 PM

OK

Thanks Baja boy. I will see if I can t get my camper stuck up there north of the river mouth. Sounds like those tidal pools could be good fishing.

We took a road from the highway on the north side of the river all the way out to the point. Awesome camp site. Hoping we can still do the same as this was 10+ years ago. I do want to explore the beach north. We came over the mountains from Loreto. Awesome trip!

[Edited on 12-15-2018 by Bajaboy]

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 03:45 PM

Ok I am all in. I will head over there.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 06:43 PM

At the top of the hill on the north side of the arroyo is the road. You have to run next to the paved road for a bit before it peels of towards the beach it Gets soft. There are a few places you canturn off of the soft road and prk. Short walk down to big boulders. Deep water in front of the boulders.. Let it sink out and start jigging......Boom!
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2018 at 08:14 PM

You guys are killing me! I am stuck on Vancouver Island in jungle rain. My wife will not head down before Christmas.

I love surfing my Bigfoot camper through the sand but I have sure got stuck sometimes. Thanks again for the info.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.