keep the opinions coming

if I had a vote, I would be for keeping the voicing of opinions alive
it sheds light on the character of people we never meet in person

love Trump?
prefer Islam?
hate bad Baja cops?

why not have an opinion
we won't change anything or anyone anyway
sure, there will be abusive characters - but like unruly kids, we can ignore them

Harald Pietschmann
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:35 AM

I have opinions, and I have been drawn into more than one tet a tet on this board.

But I have reached a decision in the last 24-48 hours, based on your previous posts about this subject, that I will NOT engage in this any more. This is not the proper forum for these discussions. I want information about Baja and Mexico.

But I am not going to rant to the heavens above, or an owner or moderator, if it continues. The freedom to do it should exist.

But I am taking a self-policing oath that I will NOT engage in this, from this point forward.

I welcome any others, who also feel this board is being detrimentally hurt by these discussions, to join me in solidarity against this trend.

This is not to say I might not lightly chastise someone who isn't understanding the lessons that living in Mexico teaches.

The guy who cant understand why he should worry about his buddy bringing mota to San Felipe is an example. I'm not going to get into some left-wing "freedom to do anything" rant, nor a right-wing admonition about what is good and righteous for me should apply to all.

All this damn morality on both sides is becoming counterproductive to the passing of good information. It's becoming too difficult to wade through the karma and dogma from both sides.

Please feel free to join me in this 12 step program.

And if we are successful, there will be so few responses to the ones who insist on going down that argumentative road, that they may choose another avenue for their rants.

No more troll feeding for me on this board.

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by Hook]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:42 AM

Thanks Hook, a refreshing idea which I endorse: "Discuss Baja and Mexico"

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:43 AM
Opinions are like ......................

Bowel Movements.

Costing nothing and requiring no intellectual exercise, they are (usually) highly satisfying to the participant while having no marketable value and a varying degree of negative influences depending on their disposition.

With like variances in viscosity and aromatic composition, the effects on the social environment may vary from slightly offensive to truly foul.

And in both instances, at the end, you're left with a pile of Shit !
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 10:57 AM

When opinions are malicious and derogatory, it keeps others from commenting and from being inquisitive. Give the mean kids their own playground, and insist they only play rough there. Not all conversation is appropriate for all locations.

In broad terms: A lot of us just want to figure out how to get to our special place in life without being harassed. Baja is a place in which a lot of us find sanctuary and something that is free of the intensity that the rest of North America is becoming so well known for. Baja Nomad (on the other hand) is definitely not Baja. You can expect to read all about everything that is divisive about people, insults, bickering and general crap that has nothing to do with the original post - and it's all mixed in with the "meat" of what this forum is supposed to be about.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 11:26 AM

I like Old Corrals and Sagebrush
Ponderosa Pines
Pretty Girls in pickup trucks
And California wines....

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 11:52 AM

I dont think I agree that opinions shed light on character. People think their opinions are so important , that if they have the right political orientation they are somehow better people.
This is bollocks.
I know good people on the left and the right.
Your vote , one way or the other does not show you are virtuous.
Your diet does not make you virtuous.
How you conduct your personal affairs and how you treat others is far more important than politics.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 12:32 PM

Opinions are fine.....it's in the technique of how they are presented that defines who is rational and who is the radical.

And when the first words from a commenters fingers are "you're a racist, bigot, homophobic miscreant, orange hair loving fool, killer and torturer of sport fish, brown skinned hater, legless "grifter", immigrant hater, fan of some dude named Alex Jones, fan of this hate site or that hate site.... and a jackbooted thug.....it's very likely a radical doing the key banging.

Radicals, as such, thrive off of how much controversy they can stir up.....in an attempt to upset the balance of how you think, what you think and why you think it.

And dare you disagree with a radical, or even ask them to explain it all.....you're a gawd damn denier.

And as 4x4abc mentioned, rather than change minds, it only makes people dig in their heels deeper and deeper....out of defiance to being dissed by this constant rage filled radical.

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by DaliDali]

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 12:39 PM

Some of my very best friends are on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum than I am. What we do have in common, is that we are mutually respectful and careful about what we say to one-another. Conversely, it seems there is no filter at Baja Nomad. Most of us don't actually know each other, and that seems to give license to say whatever first comes to mind, with little to no regard to decorum.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 12:57 PM

Dali - You're not going to change people's opinions, but you ["you" referring to Baja Nomad] certainly can change the rules about when and where they voice their opinions (and your response to their opinions).

When you go to a restaurant, you expect the experience to be without controversy and interruption from others. For instance, if someone walked up to my table and started giving me their political opinion, I'd be pi$$ed that it was happening at that point in my day, at that location. It doesn't mean that I don't want to talk about these things, it means that I'm expecting an atmosphere of rant-free and peace when I go out to eat. The restaurant owner/manager certainly wouldn't stand for it, else they would lose customers. I believe it's similar for this forum. People are likely to not come here -or at least be hesitant to comment, when they know their ideas, questions, etc., are going to get slammed by others.

So, when this happens, what we end up with is a small group of regular ranters who continually sprinkle their crap all over here, and that's the overall flavor of this place.

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by imlost]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 01:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  

Dali - You're not going to change people's opinions, but you ["you" referring to Baja Nomad] certainly can change the rules about when and where they voice their opinions (and your response to their opinions).

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by imlost]

I'm pretty sure you or I, or any single gang member, does not have the power to change the rules.
However, I can sympathize with how you feel.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 01:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Opinions are fine.....it's in the technique of how they are presented that defines who is rational and who is the radical.

And when the first words from a commenters fingers are "you're a racist, bigot, homophobic miscreant, orange hair loving fool, killer and torturer of sport fish, brown skinned hater, legless "grifter", immigrant hater, fan of some dude named Alex Jones, fan of this hate site or that hate site.... and a jackbooted thug.....it's very likely a radical doing the key banging.

:biggrin: hey you left out "knuckledragger"
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 01:21 PM

Dali - True.
So until it changes, [quoting Michelle Obama, with a twist] "When they go low..." ...we'll just go away.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 02:20 PM

Dali - True.
So until it changes, [quoting Michelle Obama, with a twist] "When they go low..." ...we'll just go away.

I believe that quote came from Eric Holder.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Dali - True.

I believe that quote came from Eric Holder.

Eric Holder was a tad harsher...

"When they go low, we kick them"

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 02:55 PM

Ha! Eric Holder must be on this forum.

Better, is the Ellen Degeneres version: "When they go low, we get high".
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 03:57 PM

Looks like the so-called righteous ones have derailed another thread with political talk that is not Baja related.

But don't worry, 4x4 will start another thread like this and carry on.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2018 at 07:58 PM

I really like what tobias said:
I dont think I agree that opinions shed light on character. People think their opinions are so important , that if they have the right political orientation they are somehow better people.
This is bollocks.
I know good people on the left and the right.
Your vote , one way or the other does not show you are virtuous.
Your diet does not make you virtuous.
How you conduct your personal affairs and how you treat others is far more important than politics.

and what imlost said too:

Some of my very best friends are on the complete opposite end of the political spectrum than I am. What we do have in common, is that we are mutually respectful and careful about what we say to one-another. Conversely, it seems there is no filter at Baja Nomad. Most of us don't actually know each other, and that seems to give license to say whatever first comes to mind, with little to no regard to decorum.

Vive la difererance - we are all different and thank God for that. I do wish we were kinder to each other.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 12:53 PM

Nicely put, I'm in!

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I have opinions, and I have been drawn into more than one tet a tet on this board.

But I have reached a decision in the last 24-48 hours, based on your previous posts about this subject, that I will NOT engage in this any more. This is not the proper forum for these discussions. I want information about Baja and Mexico.

But I am not going to rant to the heavens above, or an owner or moderator, if it continues. The freedom to do it should exist.

But I am taking a self-policing oath that I will NOT engage in this, from this point forward.

I welcome any others, who also feel this board is being detrimentally hurt by these discussions, to join me in solidarity against this trend.

This is not to say I might not lightly chastise someone who isn't understanding the lessons that living in Mexico teaches.

The guy who cant understand why he should worry about his buddy bringing mota to San Felipe is an example. I'm not going to get into some left-wing "freedom to do anything" rant, nor a right-wing admonition about what is good and righteous for me should apply to all.

All this damn morality on both sides is becoming counterproductive to the passing of good information. It's becoming too difficult to wade through the karma and dogma from both sides.

Please feel free to join me in this 12 step program.

And if we are successful, there will be so few responses to the ones who insist on going down that argumentative road, that they may choose another avenue for their rants.

No more troll feeding for me on this board.

[Edited on 12-9-2018 by Hook]

I like beer, better than most people.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2018 at 05:27 PM

Hook, this board has a long-standing reputation of staying unfocused, regardless of subject. Not sure whether this should count as an "opinion" since in my subjective opinion this is more an observation.

So... Let them talk if they wish so. I wouldn't care less. People with questions will ask, people with and without knowledge or ability to answer will answer. It's a responsibility of the asking person to separate the wheat from the chaff.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.